Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

RIP Alan Thicke

Michchamp

as a young lad, I once performed the theme song to Growing Pains at a piano recital.

he was 69.

as a young lad, I once performed the theme song to Growing Pains at a piano recital.

he was 69.

Didn't he die while skating around with his son? I know he (like MJ Fox) would do the celebrity hockey stuff when the NHL All-Star game, etc was going on.

One of Alan Thicke's final credits is a cameo on the first episode of the new and highly touted drama series This is Us.

It was a funny and simultaneously sad and disturbing scene.

There's not a clip of it yet on YouTube. I would post the clip to YouTube myself and copy it and post it here but I don't know how to do it.

I didn't remember Family Ties competing against Growing Pains, but I read today that they were. I thought Family Ties was already off the air by the time Growing Pains started, but it was a long time ago.

I much preferred Growing Pains, FWIW.

I just checked and the two overlapped for a few seasons. Family Ties was 83-89, and Growing Pains 85-92. I guess that explains why I have Family Ties in the "early 80's" memories of my brain. I must not have been watching much Family Ties later in that crappy decade.

Whenever I think of Alan Thicke, I think of Wayne Gretzky and that story of how Wayne was babysitting a young Robin Thicke, when he got a phone call that he was just traded from the Edmonton Oilers to the LA Kings. So he left the kid alone because he needed to pack quickly and hop a plane to be in LA that evening for a game.

There's an oldish Hollywood story - not that old; I first heard it 30 years ago, and it was probably pretty new at that time.

Two gents are standing on a sidewalk and across the street on top of a medium tall building - 10 or 12 stories, tall enough - they see a fella standing on the edge of the roof.

The guy on the roof takes a leap - assumingly surely to his death - when a series of remarkably events (I forget what they are; you can make your own up if you want to tell the joke) impedes his fall and, instead of splattering on the sidewalk, the jumper finally bounces off the canopy over the building's lobby into the passenger seat of a swank convertible driven by a legendary movie starlet.

So one of the observers turns to the other and says "that is surely the luckiest man in the world."

"No," comes the answer, "the luckiest man in the world is Alan Thicke."

I think he's implying, like the chick from House, that Thicke is lucky because he dies before a Trump presidency. I think it's in bad taste but whatever..

I think he's implying, like the chick from House, that Thicke is lucky because he dies before a Trump presidency. I think it's in bad taste but whatever..

No no no I said I heard the joke first 30 years ago; obviously Alan Thicke was very much alive and thriving at the time.

Alan Thicke was considered around Hollywood to have made astonishing achievements with not a whole lot of actual talent.

No no no I said I heard the joke first 30 years ago; obviously Alan Thicke was very much alive and thriving at the time.

Alan Thicke was considered around Hollywood to have made astonishing achievements with not a whole lot of actual talent.

Even yesterday people who knew him well and like him and work with him acknowledge that he was not the greatest actor but he also never pretended that he thought he was.

Sorry, my apology. I jumped the gun..

Sorry, my apology. I jumped the gun..

No biggie. I really didn't watch those family shows at that time very much because I was a young adult going out to the bars and trying to pick up women.

I did like family ties though, Michael J Fox was hilarious as Alex Keaton. Also Alex and the Justine Bateman character where I think older teenagers when the show started and were young adults when it ended so it wasn't so much television for little kids as those other shows were.

I really did like Alan Thicke when he parodied himself on episodes of how I Met your mother, as you saw I posted links to some of the better cameo clips.

Back