Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Does Football have ANY chance of breaking through?

jrange378

To markets in other countries? Ive thought about this for a while but thought id ask what you all thought after reading that Goodell wants 2 games in london. I think it will be hard because soccer is totally dominant in other countries, and they also have Rugby which is similar to football.

Im almost postive it wouldn't be a big sport, but maybe a secondary sport? And if not, is there even any point in Goodell trying? I think he should go to China if anything.

They already tried an all Europe League, even though it lasted for 16 years it still didn't work and seized operations in 2007.

Are you saying have a new league or a team in Europe in the NFL?

Why would they want to branch out? Football is more American than apple pie and I hope it stays that way.

No doubt. NFL is an American sport. Lets leave it that way. No offense to our Canadian contingent :)

Im not saying that I care, but the NFL does. Of course they would want to reach a larger audience.

jrange378 said:
Im not saying that I care, but the NFL does. Of course they would want to reach a larger audience.

of course, why else would goodell want to play in europe, mexico, and canada so much? He wants a huge following and probably hopes to get the sport going like with what happened to basketball. Unfortunately, that will mean a bunch of non-english speaking players eventually coming into the league.

I love Miguel Cabrera, but listening to him talk makes me cringe. I don't want that happening to the NFL.

That said, football will never be as big as soccer over there. They also have rugby and cricket and a few other sports that we consider laughable here. "American football" is...well, American. Would you watch "English Basketball"? No, you wouldn't.

Back