Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Derrick Mason is Headed to Texas

meditatedkickaboxa

Hope AJ's isn't injured worse than what is posted.

Oct 11, 2011 - In a surprise move, the Houston Texans have reportedly made a trade to add a wide receiver to their lineup, sending a conditional draft pick to the New York Jets for wide receiver Derrick Mason, according to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle via Twitter.

Mason was involved in headlines this weekend for being outspoken about not being happy with the Jets offensive game plan. In a report in the New York Post, Mark Cannizzaro reported that Mason was amongst three wide receivers who complained to Jets head coach Rex Ryan about offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Of course, Mason and the other receivers denied the claim after the game.

"OK, let me say this: I've been in this thing [the NFL] 15 years and I've never criticized the offensive coordinator to a head coach -- never once," Mason said.

In the game on Sunday, Mason was benched. The team claims however, that Mason was benched for performance, not his comments. "Let's face it, I thought Derrick would catch 80-90 balls. OK, that hasn't happened," Rex Ryan told reporters after the game. On the season, Mason currently has 18 receptions for 115 yards.

The Houston Texans recently lost wide receiver Andre Johnson for a few weeks with a hamstring injury and have been struck hard by the injury bug at the position as a whole. The Texans were obviously hurting at the position and felt that the 37-year old veteran would help them get along until Johnson returned from injury.

Mason has gained over 1,000 receiving yards in eight of the last ten seasons, leaving Baltimore in free agency after tallying 800 yards and seven touchdowns in 2010. It's an out of the ordinary move for the Texans, but the AFC South is up for grabs this year and the Texans are taking an aggressive approach to capturing it.

Picked him up in fantasy. Maybe he can find a nice role there. Even when Johnson comes back he could probably beat out Walters for number 2.

Back