Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Verlander

G

Saw him pitch on Father's Day here vs the Rockies.

Simply unreal. His fastball was in the 90's ...his change-up 7-9mph slower and a big curve another 7-9mph slower. He was throwing darts with a 20mph spread on his pitches.

Masterful, once the Tigers got a run I told my wife it was over. The ever-positive Rockies fan, she doubted me---

yeah, he said that he stopped focusing on the strikeout and paid more attention to making a good pitch. Don't remember where I read that, but he said that's what started this domination.

It seems his fastball gets faster as the game progresses...I think it was the 8th inning of his last start against the angel I saw 101mph fastballs being tossed, he is the only pitcher I can recall progressively pitching faster as the game goes along

Yes Verlander has had an amazing season up to this point. I am starting to worry about his IP, he is leading the league right now and has be among the leaders the last 4 years. Just worried about him "buring out" due to over usage.

distantdetroiter said:
Yes Verlander has had an amazing season up to this point. I am starting to worry about his IP, he is leading the league right now and has be among the leaders the last 4 years. Just worried about him "buring out" due to over usage.

JV is a freak of nature, his delivery is so smooth and fluid that he looks like he tosses it up there at 97-98 effortlessly. It seems that the normal standards of workload don't apply to him. The guy is the definition of a horse.

distantdetroiter said:

let's hope he's like Roy Halladay with his stamina. Also, I'm sure Leyland would cut his pitch count if JV was having any fatigue or soreness.

I have no problem with JV getting the ball every four days. An off day between starts makes prefect sense though with no off day it doesn't really need to happen. Not in this division.

But he's a horse. Throws with those big legs so less chance of arm injury.

Verlander as long as he stays healthy and also stays with the Tigers will go down as the Best Tigers pitcher all-time. If he has an 18 to 20 year career with them, when there is ever a mention of Tigers pitchers by any media, it will start with JV.
Verlander is imo, the type of pitcher who would have the same success in the era of 4 man rotations.
Watching all the Tigers best starting pitchers from the mid-50's, Bunning, Lary, Lolich, McLain, Morris all stand out as excellent to near great. All had 1 or 2 plus pitches. Verlander has better 'stuff' on his pitches than all of them.
If he stays and has a long career with our Tigers, I just hope to be alive to see it.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
masterscorpio77 said:
That curve ball of his is perhaps the nastiest pitch I have seen.

Yep. Those 12-6 curves can be nasty.

The amazing thing about Verlander's curve is that he does Not use the seams.

2011 tidbit;
Numbers that help define Verlander's dominance: After the count reaches 2 balls-0 strikes, opp. batting .197, with 0 homers in 61 at-bats.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]2011 tidbit;
Numbers that help define Verlander's dominance: After the count reaches 2 balls-0 strikes, opp. batting .197, with 0 homers in 61 at-bats.

That's huge. Like Martinez's BA with two strikes, uncanny.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]2011 tidbit;

dude, where do you find stats like that? That's amazing.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
[quote="KalineCountry":gaqi1ui6]2011 tidbit;

dude, where do you find stats like that? That's amazing.[/quote:gaqi1ui6]

I check alot of sites. On any given day, 30/40/50 places for Tigers, MLB, and baseball stats info.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
[quote="Mitch":5qa033bn]

Yep. Those 12-6 curves can be nasty.

The amazing thing about Verlander's curve is that he does Not use the seams.
[/quote:5qa033bn]

That just makes no sense to me, but you obviously can't argue with the results.

Back