Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

10/18 AP poll

biggunsbob

The Associated Press football poll:
Division 1
Rank, School (1st-place votes) (Record) Poll Points
1. Rockford (3) (7-1) 48
2. Plymouth (1) (8-0) 43
3. Detroit Catholic Central (1) (7-1) 40
4. Utica Eisenhower (7-1) 37
5. Grand Haven (7-1) 32
6. Canton (6-2) 21
7. Northville (7-1) 16
8. Clarkston (5-3) 15
9. Brighton (7-1) 9
10. Grand Blanc (6-2) 8
Others receiving votes: 11, Lake Orion 5. 12, Holland West Ottawa 1.

Division 2
1. Farmington Hills Harrison (5) (8-0) 50
2. Lowell (7-1) 45
3. Muskegon (6-2) 33
4. Wyandotte Roosevelt (8-0) 31
5. Port Huron (8-0) 29
6. Midland (7-1) 27
7. Oxford (6-2) 19
8. Warren DeLaSalle (6-2) 18
9. Birmingham Brother Rice (4-4) 6
T10. Walled Lake Western (7-1) 5
T10. Bay City Western (6-2) 5
Others receiving votes: 12, Detroit Henry Ford 3. 13, Mattawan 2. 14, Marquette 1. 14, Detroit Martin Luther King 1.

Division 3
1. Mt Pleasant (2) (8-0) 47
2. Orchard Lake St. Mary (2) (7-1) 45
3. Grand Rapids Christian (1) (8-0) 43
4. Battle Creek Harper Creek (8-0) 35
5. Petoskey (8-0) 30
6. East Grand Rapids (6-2) 20
7. DeWitt (7-1) 17
8. Chelsea (7-1) 16
9. Redford Thurston (8-0) 13
10. Mason (7-1) 9
Others receiving votes: N/A

Division 4
1. Marine City (5) (8-0) 50
2. Zeeland West (8-0) 45
3. Battle Creek Pennfield (8-0) 40
4. Paw Paw (8-0) 34
5. Grand Rapids Catholic Central (7-1) 29
6. St Clair Shores South Lake (8-0) 24
7. Croswell-Lexington (8-0) 20
8. Detroit Crockett (7-1) 18
9. Pontiac Notre Dame Prep (8-0)7
10. Marysville (7-1) 5
Others receiving votes: 11, Edwardsburg 2. 12, Detroit Douglass 1.

Division 5
1. Lansing Catholic (5) (8-0) 50
2. Millington (8-0) 44
3. Grayling (8-0) 40
4. Portland (7-1) 36
5. Almont (7-1) 26
6. Freeland (7-1) 25
7. Menominee (6-2) 23
8. Reed City (8-0) 9
9. Grand Rapids West Catholic (6-2) 6
10. Carrollton (7-1) 5
Others receiving votes: 11, Ovid-Elsie 3. 12, Dowagiac 2. 12, Alma 2. 12, Ann Arbor Gabriel Richard 2. 15, Olivet 1. 15, Frankenmuth 1.

Division 6
1. Ithaca (4) (8-0) 49
2. Montrose (8-0) 44
3. Iron Mountain (1) (7-0) 42
4. Muskegon Oakridge (7-1) 35
5. Grass Lake (8-0) 30
6. Shelby (7-1) 23
7. Montague (6-2) 19
8. Clare (7-1) 11
T9. Warren Michigan Collegiate (8-0) 5
T9. Vassar (7-1) 5
Others receiving votes: 11, Madison Heights Madison 3. 11, Schoolcraft 3. 13, Tawas Area 2. 13, Leslie 2. 15, Hemlock 1. 15, Grandville Calvin Christian 1.

Division 7
1. Saginaw Nouvel (5) (8-0) 50
2. Hudson (8-0) 40
3. Royal Oak Shrine Catholic (8-0) 37
T4. Traverse City St Francis (7-1) 29
T4. Detroit Loyola (8-0) 29
6. McBain (7-1) 28
7. Pewamo-Westphalia (8-0) 24
8. Union City (8-0) 12
T9. Mancelona (8-0) 11
T9. Harbor Beach (8-0) 11
Others receiving votes: 11, Iron River West Iron County 4.

Division 8
1. Muskegon Catholic Central (2) (7-1) 47
2. Mendon (2) (8-0) 46
3. New Lothrop (1) (8-0) 41
4. St Ignace (8-0) 33
5. Saugatuck (8-0) 32
6. Crystal Falls Forest Park (6-1) 19
7. Climax-Scotts (7-1) 16
8. Iron Mountain North Dickinson (7-1) 10
9. Johannesburg-Lewiston (7-1) 8
10. Fowler (6-2) 7
Others receiving votes: 11, Mt Pleasant Sacred Heart 5. 11, Frankfort 5. 13, Hillman 3. 13, Pittsford 3.

One of my favorite team's to watch in the smaller school ranks is Saugatuck in Division 8 which is currently ranked 5th. After four years in a row of 0-9 seasons from 2000 to 2003 they have had a winning season 7of the last 8 season and will have 4 playoffs births in a row now this year. They lost in the D8 state finals last season and have a overall record of 190-246-6 overall.. Some schools it is hard to change the culture at but Bill Dunn who took over in the middle of the long losing streak has done a great job.. Here is a old article from last year about their playoff run in 2010...

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/11/saugatuck_football_team_enjoyi.html

Thanks for posting these Bob, I like High School Football but haven't had the time this year to see a game or keep up with who is who. This makes it easier. BTW, I also like watching some of the smaller schools play, especially Hudson. Many don't know this but they had the longest winning streak in HS football in the country until about ten years ago. They won state last year and I think they do it again this year.

Thanks again.

Your welcome I like doing it..... I like stats/rankings/records so since we moved back to Michigan in 2004 I have had plenty of chances ro see some games... Working swing shift in nevada from 1987 to 2004 i was only able to go to one High school game and now that my daughter is in he band it makes it even better back in Michigan. But alas Byron Center will not be going to the playoffs this year so i will have to pick out another game to go see in the playoffs. Yes Hudson is a power house and have been in back to back D-7 finals winning last year 28-26 over Ishpeming, and losing to Power house Traverse City St City the year before 42-8 from 1967 to 1976 Hudson was 89-3 including that long winning streak. The streak was 72 games from 1968-75.

I remember living out west and seeing the team that broke Hudson record a number of times on Fox sports west. De la Salle is something else but then again they are a private schools..

De La Salle High School has long been recognized nationwide for its extraordinary football tradition. The team, currently coached by Bob Ladouceur holds the national record 151 game winning streak spanning from 1992 to 2004, more than doubling the previous record of 72. The streak ended when they were defeated by Bellevue High School in Bellevue, Washington on September 4, 2004. De La Salle finished the 2007 football season 13-0 and as state champions. In 2009 De La Salle defeated Crenshaw 28-14 to win the state title again.[3] In 2010 De La Salle defeated Servite ranked #7 in the nation 48-8 to win the state title game for a second straight year. De La Salle finished the season 14-0 and ranked #1 in the nation by Maxpreps. During the span of the 151-game winning streak, De La Salle was named national champion in seven different years; once by ESPN (1994), five times by USA Today (1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003), and once by the National Sports News Service (1999). The Spartans have been named national champions by ESPNRISE.com (formerly Student Sports) six times, including four straight years (2000

The GR Christian - East Grand Rapids game this week is huge. Christian has the best team they've ever field and trounced Lowell a couple weeks ago. I'd love to see them and Farmington Hills Harrison end up in the same playoff group.

Christian is a very good team... But then most private schools are pretty decent. But if there is one public school most fans root against it is EGR.. Man that school has been pretty darn dominate in Division-3 the last five years winning five titles in a row.... I have to admit that 5 overtimes game back in the 2007 state title was the best high school game I had ever seen... EGR just wins...

This year Christian crushed a Lowell team that beat EGR soundly. The same Lowell team beat Rockford this year and basically gave the State title game away to FHH last year with 3 turnovers in a few minutes. This makes me think Christian will roll EGR this Friday night. Drake Harris is a stud at WR.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Your welcome I like doing it..... I like stats/rankings/records so since we moved back to Michigan in 2004 I have had plenty of chances ro see some games... Working swing shift in nevada from 1987 to 2004 i was only able to go to one High school game and now that my daughter is in he band it makes it even better back in Michigan. But alas Byron Center will not be going to the playoffs this year so i will have to pick out another game to go see in the playoffs. Yes Hudson is a power house and have been in back to back D-7 finals winning last year 28-26 over Ishpeming, and losing to Power house Traverse City St City the year before 42-8 from 1967 to 1976 Hudson was 89-3 including that long winning streak. The streak was 72 games from 1968-75.

We are a small school but LOVE football. Hoping to get to a game this year but probably won't. I see we are ranked 2nd so we got some hype. It would be nice to bring home another championship but Trtaverse city St Francis is always tough along with Sag Nouvel. BTW, what class is Byron center ? If I remember right you said it was on the west side of the state, if so, and you do like waching the smaller schools, check out Mendon . I lived there for a year many moons ago and they are football crazy with a real good program.

greenandwhite95 said:
[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Your welcome I like doing it..... I like stats/rankings/records so since we moved back to Michigan in 2004 I have had plenty of chances ro see some games... Working swing shift in nevada from 1987 to 2004 i was only able to go to one High school game and now that my daughter is in he band it makes it even better back in Michigan. But alas Byron Center will not be going to the playoffs this year so i will have to pick out another game to go see in the playoffs. Yes Hudson is a power house and have been in back to back D-7 finals winning last year 28-26 over Ishpeming, and losing to Power house Traverse City St City the year before 42-8 from 1967 to 1976 Hudson was 89-3 including that long winning streak. The streak was 72 games from 1968-75.

We are a small school but LOVE football. Hoping to get to a game this year but probably won't. I see we are ranked 2nd so we got some hype. It would be nice to bring home another championship but Trtaverse city St Francis is always tough along with Sag Nouvel. BTW, what class is Byron center ? If I remember right you said it was on the west side of the state, if so, and you do like waching the smaller schools, check out Mendon . I lived there for a year many moons ago and they are football crazy with a real good program.

BC is class A around 1050 kids give or take... Had two really good years for us the last two season but stand at 4-4 with a low point total this year. 264-271-11 all-time but had some success in the 1990's and early 2000... Then had a four year bad period from 2004-08.. Back to back playoffs the last two years including one win verses hastings in the playoffs but we always run into EGR in the districts and that is that. I think BC made it to the third round once but they was before our time here....

The last of my three nephews is a junior at Mason (285-259-8) down by lansing and they will be in the playoffs for the fourth year in a row this year. They have never had a 10 win season and stand at 7-1 right now... Their big problem is Dewitt is normally in Mason's district so hopefully they will miss them in the opening round of the playoffs this year.. pretty sure they will be either the #1 or 2 seed so that means one home game at least. Both Byron center, and Mason are called the Bulldogs so I am a big Mason fan from here on out...

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]
greenandwhite95 said:

BC is class A around 1050 kids give or take... Had two really good years for us the last two season but stand at 4-4 with a low point total this year. 264-271-11 all-time but had some success in the 1990's and early 2000... Then had a four year bad period from 2004-08.. Back to back playoffs the last two years including one win verses hastings in the playoffs but we always run into EGR in the districts and that is that. I think BC made it to the third round once but they was before our time here....

The last of my three nephews is a junior at Mason (285-259-8) down by lansing and they will be in the playoffs for the fourth year in a row this year. They have never had a 10 win season and stand at 7-1 right now... Their big problem is Dewitt is normally in Mason's district so hopefully they will miss them in the opening round of the playoffs this year.. pretty sure they will be either the #1 or 2 seed so that means one home game at least. Both Byron center, and Mason are called the Bulldogs so I am a big Mason fan from here on out...

I have a friend who played football for EGR back in the 90's. I think he played with some guys that went to UM, can't think of their names but they were big time recruits, petty sure they were RB's. Anyway, he still helps out with their program 15 years later. I was able to watch a practice once, prety impressive.

I wasn't impressed with the fans of Dewitt. When I went to State I went to a game once with a friend who graduated High school there. The fans were very arrogant, or I guess you could say confident, and showed little respect for anyone who wasn't all about Dewitt. For some reason I was called out by a few fans for wearing a Hudson Tigers sweatshirt. I guess they didn't realize our history in football, or wrestling. I can't remember who they played but they smashed em and they had this annoying whistle on the scoreboard that blew every time they scored.

Anyway, good luck to Mason, i hope they beat Dewitts ass.

Correction, I just remembered. He helped coach the Grady's when they went there, he didn't play with them. I remember him saying he did play with some guys that went on to big colleges though.

greenandwhite95 said:
[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]

I have a friend who played football for EGR back in the 90's. I think he played with some guys that went to UM, can't think of their names but they were big time recruits, petty sure they were RB's. Anyway, he still helps out with their program 15 years later. I was able to watch a practice once, prety impressive.

I wasn't impressed with the fans of Dewitt. When I went to State I went to a game once with a friend who graduated High school there. The fans were very arrogant, or I guess you could say confident, and showed little respect for anyone who wasn't all about Dewitt. For some reason I was called out by a few fans for wearing a Hudson Tigers sweatshirt. I guess they didn't realize our history in football, or wrestling. I can't remember who they played but they smashed em and they had this annoying whistle on the scoreboard that blew every time they scored.

Correction, I just remembered. He helped coach the Grady's when they went there, he didn't play with them. I remember him saying he did play with some guys that went on to big colleges though.

Yeah thanks..I know all about Dewitt. I do not like them at all. I graduated from Haslett and we could not beat them back from 1977 to 79 either. 1980 the two teams did not play... Lost to them three years in a row from 77-79 all close games 12-9,7-0, and 27-21. i only played my sophomore and junior seasons and only on the varsity for the 27-21 loss. in 1980 my ankles and thigh were kaput and that was that. Haslett has beaten Dewitt a few times here and there. Haseltt made it to the state finals in 1998 and 2005 but were beat by both Menominee, and to Caledonia In 2005. (Menominee d-5 is my favorite small school to watch play because they play the single wing).

Getting back to mason and dewitt... Mason was 1-1 in the playoffs in 2008 beating Adrain 35-20 and losing a close home game to Chelsea 22-20 (Coach had a horrific 2pt conversion play) That was my oldest nephews Senior season and they had turned around a 1-8 season the year before and won the conference and ended 9-2. In 2009 the middle Nephew took over that team ended up 8-2 and lost to Dewitt in round one 42-0. I think they may have tied for the conference crown that year too.. In 2010 he was a senior and again they won the opening round of the playoffs 56-13 over Fowerville, and lost at home to Dewitt in the second round 24-14 in a well played hard hitting game. But again Mason fell sort of a ten win season and ended up 9-2. In 2011 the third and last Nephew is play a little and they were beat soundly in the opening game by Okemos 34-10 but have reeled of 7 wins in a row... With conference realignment in the CAAC Mason was move into the Caac Gold with Waverly, Charlotte, Jackson Northwest, and Eaton Rapids a truly horrible conference. But Mason does have a decent out of conference schedule this year. Okemos (6-2) which they lost at Muskegon Heights (3-4)win. And they just played at St johns (6-2) and crushed them. The last game is verses a team I am unfamiliar with Croswell Lexington (8-0) so we shall see. Instead of rambling i just could have told you i hope mason gets to 10 wins for the first time and beats Dewitt. I do not like them and for all the pooping off they do they have never won a state title I think... Dewitt has made the finals and wins playoff games but some teams always beats them sooner or later in the Playoffs..

Yeah I remember Menominee. Arent they the Maroons or something ? They run that offense to perfection. I have watched them play in the finals a couple time, I think it was against Lumen Christi, and they destroyed them. Hudson runs the wing T and do it quite well. The misdirection is hard to defend. You pretty much have to start tackling anyone witht their arms folded. What also helps us is the conference we play in. We play all divison 5 and 6 teams all year while we are division 7. The tougher schedule helps during playoff time.

Anyway, they can play pretty good football up there in the U.P, between Menominee, Iron Mtn, Crystal Falls Forrest park and Negaunee they can play some tough entertaining ball. I cant wait until Thanksgiving !!!

greenandwhite95 said:
[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]

Kevin Grady played for EGR and holds every State rushing record now. 151 career TDs and 8431 yards. I think EGR won 3 Titles in his time there. I see Kevin around town, he's a real nice kid. I'm gonna give him a ribbing about last weeks MSU loss when I see him next.

Yeah freaking EGR is very tough to beat.. They have won a bunch of state titles. I think Kevin was on the back to back titles in 2002-03. Last I heard Kevin was playing for the Chicago Slaughter but I think he was cut after another arrest for alcohol. He played in 9 games and had 462 yards and 11 td's... I think 6 of them may have been in one game But I am not sure about that.. I always thought he would have been a better linebacker in college then a running back. oh well another bust... a lot have gone through Michigan in recent years...

Football Championships (11):
1955 (Class B Detroit Free Press).
1976, 1983 (Class B).
1993, 1995 (Class BB).
2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 (Division 3).

Back