Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Case Of The 1 Year Free Agents

sunnydlitex123

I was a bit shocked when I discovered that most of our free agent signings are only signed for one year. My initial reaction was "why the heIl wouldn't mayhew lock these guys up?" In fact, all but durant signed for only a yr contract.

My initial thought was that MM wanted to take a wait and see approach in regards to Calvin's pending contract in regards to cap space... However, the more that I think about it, the more I think that he is simply trying to build through the draft in order to maximize our cap space... and many of these players may not be here next year.

What does that mean?

A good year this year, 10-6 or so perhaps...

But we may see a decline the year after or we may just maintain our current talent level until the young players that fill in these spots start performing...

I think it was smart. They got them on the cheap. Let it play out and see how these guys do. You might see an extension or two during the season.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I think it was smart. They got them on the cheap. Let it play out and see how these guys do. You might see an extension or two during the season.

Yep. I hope they Lock up Tulloch if he pans out.

I think Mayhew thinks that if he can resign them...great, but if not it buys them another year to find their guy in the draft. As you said CJ has a new contract coming, so I'm sure he's priority #1.

MITCH check your messages,

MM did a brilliant job with these contracts. He needs to see if Wright returns to his 08, 09 form. He signed Houston to a 2 year deal, which gives him a 3 year window to show his worth. Durant has had some injury concerns the past couple years, so he has 2 years to prove his worth. Tulloch is a lock just as CJ is for next year getting a big deal with plenty of cap space.

Unfortunately I agree with Valenti on this one. Tulloch likely signed a one-year deal in the hopes of having a monster year (and he should, playing behind that line) lining up his last big multi-year contract (with heavy influence from Rosenhaus, of course). I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has a pro-bowl caliber year but negotiations go nowhere by the end of the season (despite attempts by Mayhew and Co.). Hopefully he does re-sign with us, but he probably won't come cheap and they're gonna need money for other big re-signings (CJ). I don't see Mayhew as the type of GM to cave in to high price demands, if the price tag is too high they'll simply tell him "good luck, we'll look for another LB in FA/draft".

I hope I'm completely wrong on this, but we'll see how things play out.

You might be right grandy I bet it was either cap problems or those rumors of him wanting 5 years were true.

Wright, durant and tulloch all said the d line was the main reason.for.coming here. They all may be looking to pad stats for a big payday but having them for the short term means if they have a major injury we won't be stuck with a bad contract. If they leave we can fill the gaps through the draft, if we can't then we should still be able to lure in a fa with the same thought of having a big year to get a big contract. It's a win win right now.

Tulloch signed a 1 year deal , because the Lions have other fish to fry long term...Calvin has to be done , Stafford most likely has to be re-worked and then Levy and Delmas will most likely have to be locked up long term soon....Tulloch is going nowhere , he fits perfect here and will be dealt with long term most likely when the season ends.

schles192 said:
Slick as the global moderator = Gimp free board.

nah....Monster weeds them out before anyone else gets a crack at them....

I just wanted it because the goofs that like to copy nics and start crap.

slick said:
Tulloch signed a 1 year deal , because the Lions have other fish to fry long term...Calvin has to be done , Stafford most likely has to be re-worked and then Levy and Delmas will most likely have to be locked up long term soon....Tulloch is going nowhere , he fits perfect here and will be dealt with long term most likely when the season ends.

Why would we rework Staffords deal when he has 3 years left on his deal? If he manages to stay off the IR list this year, he falls into the "is he a one year wonder debate" I don't think we rework or extend his deal until after his 5 year, just my opinion.

motorcitym said:
slick said:

Why would we rework Staffords deal when he has 3 years left on his deal? If he manages to stay off the IR list this year, he falls into the "is he a one year wonder debate" I don't think we rework or extend his deal until after his 5 year, just my opinion.

Staffords going to have to be reworked just for the cap room space , I can see him getting re-done after 2012.

schles192 said:
Wright, durant and tulloch all said the d line was the main reason.for.coming here. They all may be looking to pad stats for a big payday but having them for the short term means if they have a major injury we won't be stuck with a bad contract. If they leave we can fill the gaps through the draft, if we can't then we should still be able to lure in a fa with the same thought of having a big year to get a big contract. It's a win win right now.

Yep. I think the 1 yr contracts give them further motivation to perform THIS year... One of the reasons that I think that this year the Lions will exceed a lot of expectations. I can see us losing a lot of talent after the year is over when we end up having a good season... That's why I think that next year may not be as good...

I think next year we will have a lot of contracts being re-done, reworked, re-up'd etc etc

hopelesslionsfan said:
if we lose a guy like Tulloch in FA next year, would we get a comp pick for him in the draft?

Its not based on one player. But what you lose compared to what you gain. And there is several factors, which includes salary, playing time etc.

I think it has to do with the short time frame that FA's had to negotiate this year. The market for them should be better and they should get better deals when they become FA's next year.

Back