Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Leyland Manager of the year?

jdeb

I know this thread may spark some negative feelings and comments but what the heck, that's what makes a good message board, right?

I am not a Leyland homer as many of you ESPN converts know. I am also not a Leyland hater either. I just think a good manager has limited control in the win / loss column. But getting them ready for a post season run is what separates the men from the boys.

These guys are playing fresh, even the beat-up Avila. That guy is a machine, we have found our catcher for years to come
grin.png
. Look at the bench guys, coming in and contributing. Raburn, Dirks, Kelly, Santiago, etc. They are not lighting the world on fire but just coming in a getting the job done at an above average level. Dirks really is a spark plug. Santiago's timely hit, or Kelly's exceptional defense. I think Leyland deserves some credit here on this. As much as I get annoyed with his resting players, their is a method to his madness.

It is called TEAM. They are starting to look very cohesive. The bullpen is being defined now as well and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for them. According to my best friend who has season tickets, the guys are putting additional work in on defense as well. Guillen has been at the forefront of the discipline, so hopefully this will show results for the stretch run. The clubhouse is in order, guys are putting the work in, and we may be witnessing a team poised to making some serious noise in Vegas come October.

Leyland is manager of the year at this point in my mind.

I don't think he will get manager of the year, Acta is going to get it in the AL if the Indians are in the race and finish over .500
I could also see it going to Ron Washington (even with his booger sugar problem) or Scioscia

Jim would really need this team to finish strong and get over 90 wins, that would put him in the discussion

Ron G of Minnesota will some how rally the Twins and win the AL Central giving him manager of the year. Impossible? Just about..but as a Tiger fan I always just assume the Twins will be in it...this year has been odd. lol

(Of course I'm completely kidding. Just thought I'd say that before some idiot decides to tell me the Twins are out of it)

No chance. Not sure the Tigers' are better than people thought at seasons start.

Kirk Gibson will win in the N.L.

not sure about the A.L.

with the way the indians have stuck around, acta will get consideration.

If I were voting I would vote acta...the start that team got out to was unreal and they have stuck around ever since. If they should fall into 3rd place at seasons end then no, but if I had a vote today I think i would vote for him. He's done a tremendous job.

slick said:
Joe Girardi ? if the Yanks keep rolling

I look at Giradi like Pat Riley when he was the Lakers coach. Good teams, lead the league in wins but it was expected. Honestly, I don't think a NYY manager should ever be a MOTY. With that payroll and that talent. Too easy.

I think Acta at this point. Joe Maddon is probably the best in the league, overall, though.

I'd say RG or possibly even Scocia (sp) are the best overall. i say this without watching too many games close enough to see managing style though. Tough to really know how good managers are in baseball. I know they get more out of a little than most managers i've witnessed.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]No chance. Not sure the Tigers' are better than people thought at seasons start.

Before the season, we had two newcomers, that we were unsure of in our rotation. Then we had Porcello who some lost hope for.

In our lineup, we had TWO all stars. Maggs and Guillen were too "OLD" and Avila was a catcher that nobody liked. Peralta was "average" and Inge was our third basemen.

before the season, our BEST player got into some big heat....

so yes...this team has FAR exceeded expectation and the manager deserves from of the credit.

I don't see it that way. Leyland has nothing to do with how these players hit. And it seems like other people looked at them as an 85 team.

through 112 games the Tigers (60-52) have their best record since 2007 (63-49). One win better than 2009. (59-53). 16 wins worse than 2006
(76-36).

I would think that Acta has to be the best candidate for MOY at this point in the season, not many were expecting the Tribe to make any noise this season, despite the team regressing a bit back to reality over the past couple of months.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]No chance. Not sure the Tigers' are better than people thought at seasons start.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/baseball/mlb/03/29/expert.picks/index.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ys-henson_brown_passan_predictions_032911

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110331&content_id=17220490&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Here's a small sample, before the season started only 5 of the 60 national baseball writers I found picked the Tigers to win the division or even make the playoffs. Not counting chickens before they hatch or anything and JL is certainly not the manager of the year, but this team is performing well above their early season expectations.

If they knew Chicago and Minny would stink they would have thought differently.

no team could have been competitive with the injuries the twins dealt with.

The Sox are just burdened with two very expensive and very horrible pieces in their offense in dunn and rios

Wow, 17 posts and I am the only one thinking Leyland is worthy. :(

jdeb said:
Wow, 17 posts and I am the only one thinking Leyland is worthy. :(

Well IMO, JL is responsible for setting lineups, the rotation, when to bring in which RP. And I think he has failed more than he's succeeded.

Back