Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Groupon sucks

Michchamp

typical conversation:

Sap: "I bought a groupon for dinner at *overpriced restaurant* for $20 off two entrees."

Mr. Reason: "Why? Were you going to go there anyways?"

Sap: "No, but I wanted to try it, and this saves me money."

Mr. Reason: "Would you have tried it anyways?!?! This didn't save you money, it forced you to spend money you otherwise wouldn't have spent."

Sap: *long silence* ... "Well, anyways I was just going to make dinner at home tonight, but now I can go out, since it's cheaper."

Mr. Reason: "Please forget that you know me, delete my phone number from your phone, go away, and never come back."

Jever4321 said:
Mr. Reason = cheap bastard. Live a little.

How is Mr. Reason the cheap bastard? he's not the one going ga-ga over saving a few bucks.

Please don't paste my convos on here anymore. I don't appreciate it, I just wanted to have a nice meal with my family at a better price and I did that.

sap was a girl I dated on-and-off over a couple years, but that bridge was burned permanently last year. Mr. Reason is me.

She was one of those annoying foodie types. she quit her day job to work in a kitchen, then bitched about how the work was hard, and complained because... SURPRISE SURPRISE, she didn't make as much money.

she would want to go out to dinner every night of the week, to "try that new restaurant [she'd] been reading about." Ugh. what a pain in the ass.

I posted this because their IPO was all over the news the other day, and it reminded me of how much I hate them.

I predict they crash and burn sometime soon.

Stock is already sliding ..... As for Groupon, my stingiest friend is a huge fan. He and his wife love all those sites.

"Dude, it's a great deal. You get Buy an Entree, Get one of equal or lesser value for Free with the purchase of dessert and two drinks, good on Mondays and Tuesdays, dine in only!"

wonder how many short positions there are in GRPN?

the Groupon employees I've met struck me as people who honestly believed their business model is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and therefore they are ENTITLED to all make millions. they don't realize they still have a lot to prove.

I bet they struggle to meet their earnings goals, and instead of eating a slice of humble pie, end up cooking the books and imploding in an accounting scandal. They've already started to get a reputation around town as being pushy, and taking some liberties with the deals they cut.

I'm also curious how many pending lawsuits are on their plate. Their business model is like a class-action plaintiff attorney's dream come true: every Groupon they sell is a ready-made class.

Anecdotally I've heard a few smaller businesses say they did a Groupon once and will never do it again. My wife started to get into it a bit but then got bent over some wine deal and doesn't use the site any more.

used it twice. felt weird to use em. prolly never use it again. Nothing like rolling out your 8 1/2 x 11 home print out for a night on the town with the wife to save $7.50. Amd yes, I made sure to tip well. Ive waited table/bartended...nothing like a room full of groupon cheap bastards to enrich your young, eager and broke soul....no offense, gang.

I like groupon. I don't buy bad deals. I don't buy very often. I don't think the company has legs, but I'll take advantage while it's here. I've heard companies disagree wildly over how good a deal it is for them. I read an article by a restaurant owner on his experience that said the groupon users tipped better than average. He took a loss from the groupons, but considered it an advertising loss. The bump in business he got after from new repeat customers made it well worth it. I don't understand why y'all dislike them.

You have to realize when you pay $20 for a $40 coupon, it isn't half off if you order $60 worth of food, but if your expectations are appropriate (you're not a sap), what's the problem?

Back