Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Spartan Basketball Predictions

msuspartan

I would say we are top 5 BIG team. We probably don't have much National Title hopes this year, but we should still compete for a conference championship.

Also, we are a lock for the big dance this year. Last year we had way too many distractions.

I think you're right. Top 5 in conference 8 or 9 seed for the tourney. We are going to get stomped on friday. If we don't, I might be more optimistic

I watched the game against Hillsdale. Meh, we looked alrght, couldn't hit a three worth a shit. Lots of quick shots and up tempo. Too man TO's. Just exhibition though. Lets see how they do on Friday.

Friday will be embarrassing.

I think it's will be one of those years where we will get better as the season goes on, unlike last year when that was supposed to happen.

I think this is going to be one of those magical years, just have that feeling.

Bold Prediction: Get a 4 seed, Spartans make the elite 8.

I think Dawson is the real deal.

Izzo does a solid job recruiting in the Midwest, but I dont know why he doesnt recruit more across the nation. Wih our recent Final Fours you would think it would be easier to be a powerhouse.

How about a quick rundown of the players in MSU's rotation, strengths/weaknesses, etc? Not trolling, this is probably the least I've known about a MSU team since I can remember. To me the younger players I've seen haven't impressed me much (outside of Appling, I do think he'll be a good Big Ten guard), but after the debacle last year I'm sure Izzo is going to put together a solid team.

I think Brandon Wood the Valpo transfer makes an immediate impact and becomes a focal point for MSU..he could be very solid this year.

DR said:
How about a quick rundown of the players in MSU's rotation, strengths/weaknesses, etc? Not trolling, this is probably the least I've known about a MSU team since I can remember. To me the younger players I've seen haven't impressed me much (outside of Appling, I do think he'll be a good Big Ten guard), but after the debacle last year I'm sure Izzo is going to put together a solid team.

My opinion and what I think the starting rotation will probably be.

Starters: Appling and Wood at guard, Green and Dawson at forward, Payne at center.

Bench: Thorton, Trice, and Kearny at guard, Gauana and Byrd at forward and Nix at center will all see time.

Appling has the skill set just needs to find his groove. He needs to improve ball handling and three point shooting, otherwise he has an extreme upside.

Wood was all everything at Valpo for the last couple years. I believe he was first team in his conference. I don't know a lot about him but there was talk of him possibly being drafted last year, but he choose to transfer to play one more year in a tougher conference. I only saw him play against Hillsdale last week, so I don't know HOW good he is. I do know he averaged a lot of points last year.

Green, well we all know about him. Team leader Mr everything for us. He was knocking down quite a few threes in exhibition, and looked great.

Dawson is a STUD. He is a Freshman, 5 star forward who many scouts said was the best rebounder in last years class. He looks impressive, very physical and ripped on a 6'6 frame. I was very impessed with him in the exhibition. He will be something special.

Payne was highly recruited, a 5 star big guy that does have a lot of athletic ability but gets lost in space. For such a high rating I expected more. He still looks to be a work in progress.

Thorton gives you minutes but is slow for a guard. He will give you 100 % and thats why I think Izzo gives him so much PT. He is a work horse, not much upside though.

Trice and Kearney are both freshman guards, with Trice at the point.

Trice was gatorade player of the year in Ohio, not to be confused with Mr Basketball that went to your guy. He is undersized but very quick and looked very comfortable with he ball, maybe even more than Appling. He was a lower star recruit, I think 3 star, but still was a big scorer and ran the point well in HS. He is a coaches son, which is always good to have.

Kearney is a long SG who was a fairly high recruit. He wasn't ranked as high as Brundridge but in the same boat. I don't know much about him but did watch him last year in the High School finals. He didn't look that great to me, needs a lot of work with his shot. It looked pretty flat.

Byrd is another higher recruited player out of Indiana. He was hurt last year and saw no time. He was hurt in the off season too so it makes you wonder about his health. He was a SG in High school but I think he is growing out of that, heck I think he is 6'8 now. I think Izzo will use him at SF. Heck of an outside shooter, Izzo said that he had the best shot he had ever seen in high school. He looked good in his last exhibition, will need time to get with the college game.

Gauna is an unknown. Goran Sutton kind of player is what has been said about him. He is around 6'10 and is pretty solid. Red shirted last year and played at a small high school. Lower star recruit, development project.

Nix looks better this year than he ever has. Former Mr Michigan is a huge body down low at 6'9 280. Has had a lot of troubles since he has been a Spartan, mainly weight control and mental. They say he is the best he has been since becoming a SPartan but I will belive it when I see it. I would like to see him play more than 5 minutes without being winded. If he plays he will be a key piece to the puzzle. For a big fat guy, he is pretty mobile and nimble around the rim.

Kind of lengthy, sorry about that.

Beez said:
I think Brandon Wood the Valpo transfer makes an immediate impact and becomes a focal point for MSU..he could be very solid this year.

We needed him bad this year after the bearded midget got kicked off the team.

Losing Roe will hurt us. ALthough Dawson looks very impressive. It was only one exhibition game but that guy has serious potential.

Yeah, Nix and Payne are the two that seemed overrated based on their recruiting rankings.

No need to apologize, appreciate the input.

I would have liked seeing Kearney pick Michigan. Pretty excited about Brundidge though.

DR said:
Yeah, Nix and Payne are the two that seemed overrated based on their recruiting rankings.

No need to apologize, appreciate the input.

I would have liked seeing Kearney pick Michigan. Pretty excited about Brundidge though.

Just seeing the two play a couple games in High school I would say right now Brundridge is the better player. Just my opinion.
Kearney has more length but Carlton has a more complete game and better shot.

It's nice to see MSU and UM being ranked #3 and #6 respectively in the recruiting rankings. B10 had like 5 teams ranked in the top 20. Looks like some good BB in the future.

MSUspartan said:
Izzo does a solid job recruiting in the Midwest, but I dont know why he doesnt recruit more across the nation. Wih our recent Final Fours you would think it would be easier to be a powerhouse.

Shit, posted this in the wrong thread.

MSUspartan said:
Also, we are a lock for the big dance this year. Last year we had way too many distractions.

You say "distractions," I say "losses."

Back