Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Anyone struggle with insomnia?

jever4321

I go though spells where I wake up after about 3 hours of sleep and I'll be wide awake for anywhere between 2-4 hours. It's really kicking my ass. When I wake up at 1:00 am, just before I look at the clock I hope it reads 6:00 am. When I realize it 1:00 I know I'm in for a crappy night sleep. Anyone else deal with that? Any remedies? I would try just about anything to sleep through the night.

Jever4321 said:
I go though spells where I wake up after about 3 hours of sleep and I'll be wide awake for anywhere between 2-4 hours. It's really kicking my ass. When I wake up at 1:00 am, just before I look at the clock I hope it reads 6:00 am. When I realize it 1:00 I know I'm in for a crappy night sleep. Anyone else deal with that? Any remedies? I would try just about anything to sleep through the night.

I don't know if I have insomnia, but I do know that I don't sleep much. First of all, I have chronic Migraines, which makes it difficult for me to sleep when they get bad. I can count on a migraine every day for most of the day. When it comes to sleeping (even when i'm migraine free) I find it difficult to sleep until 3 or 4 am. Then, when i have fallen asleep, I wake up easily. Once I'm up, no matter how much I slept, I can't fall back asleep. On average, there's four or five days in a month that I don't get any sleep. I used to do this in high school too and it turned into me staying out all night and developed into a drinking problem.

As for the question of remedies...there are pills that will help you sleep, but they've never worked for me. Talk to your doctor. Natural remedies....really no idea.

Jever4321 said:

Pretty sure I have rls.... I'm just the same way. Usually hits me a few days in a row. Most nights I sleep like you said for 3-4 hours if i'm lucky and pray its been about 6-7.. I used to try and drink myself to sleep but that rarely works anymore. Get some high dosage Ativan or something strong.. Sad but it works like a charm.

Thanks for the responses. I know a lot of people struggle with sleep disorders, and mine seem to go through spurts. I used to sleep like a champ, but now, Not so much. I tell people I sleep so light now that I could hear a mouse fart in my basement. Last night it started raining at 1:00, that was all it took. I think I'm going to try a healthier approach of exercise and diet, and maybe keep a journal to see if there is a pattern. I have a feeling that it all relates to work stress. Until it gets better, buy stock in Tim Hortons...

Jever4321 said:
Thanks for the responses. I know a lot of people struggle with sleep disorders, and mine seem to go through spurts. I used to sleep like a champ, but now, Not so much. ...

You used to sleep like me?

Jever4321 said:
Thanks for the responses. I know a lot of people struggle with sleep disorders, and mine seem to go through spurts. I used to sleep like a champ, but now, Not so much. I tell people I sleep so light now that I could hear a mouse fart in my basement. Last night it started raining at 1:00, that was all it took. I think I'm going to try a healthier approach of exercise and diet, and maybe keep a journal to see if there is a pattern. I have a feeling that it all relates to work stress. Until it gets better, buy stock in Tim Hortons...

My job is farily stressful due to internal factors I can control and external factors I cannot. I started having trouble sleeping and still do sometimes, but found a couple things that helped me.

Diet and excercise is key. It's true what you eat can impact sleep and things like caffeine, etc are certainly something to watch. I also started to take melatonin before bed which helps stay asleep and/or go back to bed if you wake up. That was my main issue, once I was awake I was awake and that included getting up to piss.

And there are different types of melatonin or certain ways in which individuals react to different -tonins, but in any case, it's not a synthetic sleep aid, it's just boosting the levels in your body.

ZMAs...get em, use em, they work. I like the ones with Theanine.

Try using meth for a few days straight. After that you should be able to fall asleep without waking up after a couple hours.

I had a bout the first couple years out of high school. It was more mental than anything else though, racing mind, couldn't stop analyzing every little thing in my life over and over. Fun times. I definitely feel for anyone suffering from sleep deficiencies, especially when the solution is much more complex than remembering the serenity prayer.

I have had a few people close to me suffer terribly from migraines. It is weird how the headaches and sleep are so intertwined.

Melatonin strips or in a pill form. It's like a sleeping pill but not with all the side effects like a heavy sleeping pill would. Works for me and i'm the worse sleeper going.....

I never had insomnia up until 2 years ago, which was 3 years after I retired. It probably has something to do with not working and having a reason (8/9/10 hour work day) to be tired at a normal hour.
Might also have to do with my age. Older people don't sleep straight through with a 6/7/8/+ hours night sleep.

I looked at some natural remedies first, taking all types of vitamins as preventatives and as Tony mentioned, tried melatonin. From what I read on it, too much can cause very strange dreams which I experienced. The other amino acid didn't work for me.
So ultimately I take a generic of ambien several nights a week. Thankfully, at my age, it is the only script I am on.
As for excercise, I should do more, and diet, I try not to have any caffiene from coffee or sodas in the evenings.
good luck Jever.

A good session of vigorous sex with my wife always helps.

Also diet and exercise helps out. I don't do coffee at all. When I was on 3rd shift a few beers and shots really helped. Just don't do it daily or the effects wear off. Also don't over do it or you'll have a hangover. (thank you Mr. Obvious)

Thanks everyone. I am intrigued with the melotonin and I might give that a shot. If I could fall back to sleep after waking up in the middle of the night I would be psyched. Its hard to imagine what I would feel like if I went to bed at 10:30 and woke up at 6:30 uninterrupted. I'll try to hit GNC tomorrow.

Ok, I bought some Melatoin TR 5mg at Wallgreens tonight. We'll see how it works.

Ok, I bought some Melatoin TR 5mg at Wallgreens tonight. We'll see how it works.

I have heard people say you need to trick your body.

1 example was go to bed, but not trying to go to sleep, get comfy, and try to read or re-read a dull book or watch a boring movie, your body will eventually fight you and make you fall asleep.

a friend of ours "goes green" when he can't sleep. He finds it always works.

if that's not your thing, you could try the old stalwarts: warm milk, and a boring book. Reading in bed puts me to sleep. it may sound lame, but poetry often works for me. before big exams, or big days at work, I always have trouble turning my brain off and getting to sleep. I find a drink + a chill book of poetry relaxes my mind and I can sleep after a while.

I also have had this problem every so often; I guess they'd call it restless leg syndrome... feels like my blood is itchy, and I can't lie still in bed. I've learned to just go with it: get up, do something productive. Read, do work, do dishes, laundry, etc.

For the record, if I worked out that day, or went for a run, I never have this problem. I often get it if I go long periods of time without physical activity.

I could sleep in a chair, upside down with 3 kids jumping on my head with Rush rocking behind me.

this goes without saying but i will anyway...watch your caffeine intake. If your body gets "addicted" to it your good night sleep will suffer.

I drinks lots of pop and sleep like a baby. Come to think of it, the pop I drink doesn't have caffeine. So nvm.

Back