Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cry Babies

biglou

Geez soon we'll hear about players with five years left on deal crying for a new contract. Their excuse is out preforming contracts thats why they think they should get paid. If thats the case when they under preform their pay should be cut and i'm sure owners wouldn't have a problem with that.

I'm guessing this is in response to Finnegan walking out of camp?

cheeno said:
I'm guessing this is in response to Finnegan walking out of camp?

He brought my comment to mind but it just seems like the NFL is going through a monkey see monkey do stage. U sign a contract and play it out thats what those guys have to realize.

biglou said:
Geez soon we'll hear about players with five years left on deal crying for a new contract. Their excuse is out preforming contracts thats why they think they should get paid. If thats the case when they under preform their pay should be cut and i'm sure owners wouldn't have a problem with that.

Last time I checked, that's exactly what happens on a regular basis.

The majority share of these players contracts are not guaranteed money. If they under perform, or if they get injured, they get cut.

When they over perform, they want more money.

NFL contracts breed this culture between players and owners because a contract is not really a contract like in other sports. Neither side is really bound to anything more than a player's rights in the NFL, and a small portion of guaranteed salary.

Well if they underperform their contract they get cut by the owners. If I was someone like Chris Johnson and one of the best Rbs in the league I would want to be paid lie one. The Titans are running that guy into the ground and when it is time to get a new contract they won't pay it because of the milage on his legs. If it was guaranteed money you would have a point but the money isnt guaranteed.

inkfreq said:
biglou said:

Last time I checked, that's exactly what happens on a regular basis.

The majority share of these players contracts are not guaranteed money. If they under perform, or if they get injured, they get cut.

When they over perform, they want more money.

NFL contracts breed this culture between players and owners because a contract is not really a contract like in other sports. Neither side is really bound to anything more than a player's rights in the NFL, and a small portion of guaranteed salary.

Yes it's true it happens on a regular basis to players all the time. Role Players or Roster fillers whatever name we choose to apply to them. These are not the players u see making these demands and holding out because the can't plain and simple. The players that do this are your high round picks or any other player u consider a valuable piece of the franchise. U can't cut those high round picks so easy if they under preform example Joey blue eyes and Jamarcus potbelly Russell. U can consider rewarding a player when he shows he can bring it year after year. Every season we'll see a 1 hit wonder or a system player asking for more money who doesn't deserve it.

Gonna be even tougher for stars to hold out and get paid. They don't acrue a year unless they report before the season and teams have to reach the percentage of the salary cap floor so there will be less money available for a new contract.

Its funny cause most players say they want the long term deal but then they also cry to get out of it quite frequently. Owners also a have to take blame cause if they have a player with a bad contract they just cut him before his contract is up. Its both their faults.....the installed language so people cant hold out but to my knowledge they didnt add any new language to penaltalize the teams for dropping players before their contract is up.

I get it with players that outperform their rookie contracts like Chris Johnson. With the new rookie cap I

Back