Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Should Joe D be given another year?

tigers99888

So for the last couple of years, I think it's pretty obvious that this team has been a disaster, but he has drafted well it seems with Knight(pending) and Monroe.. Should he be given an extra year or is it too little too late? I thought the Frank hire was decent, but nothing to write home about.. Also, someone needs to get ESPN Pistons fans converted over here.. I don't post on Real GM, and that's where most main.. Missed my old trolling threads on how bad Jason Maxiell is!!

Yes he should. He was very limited with what moves he could make the past 2 years with Mrs. Davidsons pending sale. And now there's a lockout... he's really just in a bad situation. I think he realizes the Chauncey trade was just an utter disaster. What he needs to do is put himself in the position he was in the first year on the job and build another team off of chemistry, 15 men deep. I still believe in him.

mojo said:
Yes he should. He was very limited with what moves he could make the past 2 years with Mrs. Davidsons pending sale. And now there's a lockout... he's really just in a bad situation. I think he realizes the Chauncey trade was just an utter disaster. What he needs to do is put himself in the position he was in the first year on the job and build another team off of chemistry, 15 men deep. I still believe in him.

Yep, I agree with all of that. It is almost shocking to see how bad they got and how fast it happened, and obviously a lot of that is on him, but I think he deserves another chance to build a winner. Give him a couple years, if there aren't clear signs that it's going to happen then Gores can bring in his own guy.

DR said:
mojo said:

Yep, I agree with all of that. It is almost shocking to see how bad they got and how fast it happened, and obviously a lot of that is on him, but I think he deserves another chance to build a winner. Give him a couple years, if there aren't clear signs that it's going to happen then Gores can bring in his own guy.

Yep. and Joe D has definitley stepped up his drafting. Daye, Jerebko, Monroe, and Knight are all guys he can build off of. If I were him I wouldn't keep anyone not listed above on this roster. That includes Stuckey, Prince, Hamilton, and Charlie Garbage. MAYBE keep BenGo. I don't know what Wallace is going to do, the lockout is obviously inflicting on any physical energy he has left to play, so he'll probably retire.

I'm hoping Joe pulls a sign and trade involving Prince that can bring in some more youth, talent, and potential. That 2004 team was built off of guys who came into the league with high expectations, bounced around, got written off, and were given an opportunity in Detroit. Dumars is good at finding gems.

Joe deserves another year if for no reason other than there isn't a better candidate waiting around somewhere. But yes, his moves outside of drafting Monroe-Knight have been mostly a debacle. And even then it's hard to give him a lot of drafting credit since both those guys happened to fall to him in a year he had a high pick.

But the real problem is whether anything CAN be done. No one wants Rip, Gordon, Villanueva, or Maxiell. You probably couldn't move them for expiring contracts at this point. And so the team just is what it is for now. We hope Monroe takes a step forward, hope Knight is a PG of the future. But really, the team won't be competing for anything but a top pick for a couple years.

mojo said:

Looking back that 2004, that team was SO deep. I miss it :(

The NBA is weird. I remember a 3 team trade that didn't happen that Detroit was to give up a good player and a draft pick and getting nothing in return. Just to save cash. How stupid is that. That's why I hope they fix their cap issues.

Back