Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stonum to Red Shirt

wheels002

Hoke just announced that Stonum will red shirt this year. Also Hagerup broke teams rules and is suspended 4 games and Terrance Robinson is suspended for 1 game.

One thing is very clear Hoke does not play games with players who break the rules. if you do not tow the line you will not be here. He as he should expects the best on and off the field.

He has to send a message to the players of what his expectations are of being a Wolverine.

I'm guessing Hoke wants stonum to get some help/treatment and change his habits. My bet is that if Stonum doesn't make huge changes and follow through on what Hoke expects, he'll be booted from the team.

Well, that'll give us something to talk about around the water cooler at work. All of my friends that are Sparty fans were saying that Stonum wouldn't get suspended at all...

stonum only has one year left to impress for draft so he has to shape up and then have great year nect year

hagerup did something last year where he didn't even make a trip - he needs to get his act together too

"While it would be great to have Darryl on the field this season, we feel it is in his best interest and the best interest of our program for him to redshirt," Hoke said in a prepared statement. "Darryl will continue to be an important part of our team and family. He has done everything we have asked him to do, but our number one priority is to help Darryl grow as a person."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110807/SPOR....#ixzz1UOB Ysg1k

Hungry said:
Well, that'll give us something to talk about around the water cooler at work. All of my friends that are Sparty fans were saying that Stonum wouldn't get suspended at all...

Tell them he essentially got suspended for the entire season. Fortunately, he doesn't lose any eligibility.

Luckily, Michigan is still relatively deep at WR. I think losing Hagerup is an underrated loss. Punting was one of the few things Michigan did well last year, and we have no idea who will boot it.

Hopefully outside of ND we wont need a punter in the first 4 games

I just hope DS gets his life back in order.. He sure is a very talented football player but he needs a year off to clear his head of everything... I love the fact the BH is laying down the law.. No Bull shit which is a good thing...

Yea, I can't say I was extreemly surprised to see this today. Hopefully it all ends up positive for DS in the end.

well the silver lining is that we'll have him in '12 when Hemingway, Odoms and Roundtree will be gone.

We have plenty of depth at WR this year, with Odoms, Hemingway, T Rob, and Roundtree

Kind of sucks knowing we lose one of our top wideout's this year. Even though we have depth it will still be a blow losing someone who is more proven then most WR's on the team. Someone will step up though, they usually do.

Being the skeptical person that I am, I assumed that all major programs would, and have for the most part, allowed players 2nd and 3rd chances to have an opportunity to win. I was somewhat surprised by this, to be honest. I thought it would be a 2-3 game suspension, and he would be back on the field. Hopefully this gives him time to sit down for a year and figure his life out.

dubbsco said:
Luckily, Michigan is still relatively deep at WR. I think losing Hagerup is an underrated loss. Punting was one of the few things Michigan did well last year, and we have no idea who will boot it.

Completely agree with this being an underrates loss. There was lots of talk yesterday about Wile taking over punting duties as well. Seems to be a lot of expectations for an incoming freshman. Lets hope he's up to the challenges.

Good move from all angles. Gives Stonum some time to seriously reflect on where his life is going, and hopefully make the changes he needs. Gives him a chance to have a real senior season, not one chopped in half by a lengthy suspension. Takes away a distraction from the team, and allows them to prepare for the season knowing they'll be without him the entire time, so players will be able to step up to fill his role without wondering what'll happen when he comes back. Shows everyone that Michigan takes these things seriously, and while they'll work with you to help turn your life around, if you're going to mess around, you might as well go somewhere else. This is a message the program has needed to send for quite a while.

Back