Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Favorite Michigan restaurants?

kingofdetroit57

What are some of the best restaurants you've been to around the state? Off the top of my head, here are some of my favorites...

R. Stanley's formerly in Three Rivers then Portage. Unbelievably good soul food and desserts. I heard he reopened a place in Traverse City called Soul Hole recently, but haven't made it there yet.

Brio at Partridge Creek in Clinton Twp. I've never been disappointed here. I love the chicken and potato risotto. Lots of good Tuscan Italian food.

J. Alexander's in West Bloomfield. Good modern American food and a nice atmosphere.

Roma Cafe in Eastern Market area of Detroit. Awesome authentic Italian food. We did our rehearsal dinner there and tried everything on the menu. It was all fantastic.

Fishbone's in Greektown. Good seafood choices. By far the best location. St. Clair Shores is also good, but Southfield is terrible.

Buddy's Pizza in Southfield. Nice location and AWESOME pizza.

Clarkston Union. Great food, interesting variety and very lively.

Parthenon in Greektown. Awesome authentic Greek food. Haven't been there in several years now and definitely need to return soon.

Fleming's in Birmingham. Great steak and wine. I was in there a few months back with my wife (a vegetarian) and a good friend and we tried a few different appetizers and wines and each ordered a different entree. All were excellent.

I'm still waiting to make it to a few other newer local restaurants. I've got a gift card to Roast that I got over a year ago, but we haven't been able to get reservations in the two or three times we tried. We tried to go to The Union Woodshop in Clarkston twice recently but they don't take reservations and they have a couple hour wait on most nights. I still haven't made it to Slow's either.

erg57 said:
Mi Ranchito in Kalamazoo

El Azteco in E. Lansing
I'm surprised I haven't heard of the one in Kzoo. I lived out in that area for 3yrs before moving back out here.

kingofdetroit57 said:
erg57 said:
Mi Ranchito in Kalamazoo

El Azteco in E. Lansing
I'm surprised I haven't heard of the one in Kzoo. I lived out in that area for 3yrs before moving back out here.

i havent lived there for years....maybe its not open anymore? They had two locations--one on westnedge and one in Oshtemo

erg57 said:
kingofdetroit57 said:

i havent lived there for years....maybe its not open anymore? They had two locations--one on westnedge and one in Oshtemo
I've been meaning to get back out there to visit some friends. Might have to look it up if/when I get out there.

I went to Zehnder's once before and thought it was disgusting. The food was undercooked, greasy and cold, and it cost way too much money for what it was. Might have been a bad day or something, but I wouldn't go back again after that experience.

Golden Mushroom in Southfield. Not sure its still open though. Always been a fan of the Chicken Sandwich at Chili's. And the Penalty Box, sports bar near my home.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Golden Mushroom in Southfield. Not sure its still open though. Always been a fan of the Chicken Sandwich at Chili's. And the Penalty Box, sports bar near my home.
Where's the place in Southfield at? What type of food?

I've heard good things about Golden Mushroom, but have never eaten there.

I like:

- Red Coat Tavern on Woodward (I think at 13 Mile)
- The Alibi (Troy)
- The Moose Preserve - on Woodward, n. of Square Lake Rd (used to eat there a lot with the fam when I was home from college in the summers)
- there's some deli (I forget the name) on Long Lake road just east of Telegraph that was freaking awesome.

It's weird, but I don't miss the really nice restaurants as much. every area has some fancy places where you can get a steak, lobster, etc. ... but the random delis and one-off taverns are where you find unique tastes that can't be duplicated.

I've heard good things about all of those places. A guy who works for me goes to The Moose Preserve a lot and says it's awesome. They are on my list of places to get to, but haven't been to any yet. I've had Alibi pizza at the Lions Den in Waterford though. Good stuff.

kingofdetroit57 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Golden Mushroom in Southfield. Not sure its still open though. Always been a fan of the Chicken Sandwich at Chili's. And the Penalty Box, sports bar near my home.

Its been a long time dude, sorry. :)

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
kingofdetroit57 said:

A guy who works for me lives right near where it used to be. He said it closed about 5yrs ago and a CVS is there now. Bummer because he said it was really good too.

There used to be a restaurant called Mama's Tacos near me.

They had hand-rolled Pork Tamales that were like nothing I can describe.

It closed about 7-8 years ago, but I have never found authentic Mexican food like that anywhere else, just the Americanized versions like you get with most Chinese food.

kingofdetroit57 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

A guy who works for me lives right near where it used to be. He said it closed about 5yrs ago and a CVS is there now. Bummer because he said it was really good too.

Yeah I thought it might have. That was easily the fanciest restaurant I've ever been too.

Damon's in Ann Arbor..not really for the food so much, just because Art and I pre game there sometimes before Blue Rage. FUCK IAGO!!!

Go to a restaurant other than good food? Hmm. Hit up a sports bar and have a burger while watching the game. Best of both worlds.

my god, damon's is disgusting.

why would you pregame there?

Food = bad

people = awful

close to Crisler? = not really

only place with TVs? = not true

It's easy.

What's your pick that's easiest to get to, closest to Crisler, cheap beer, not a d-bag hangout? I basically know nothing about Ann Arbor. I see Damons on my way in so I stop there. I usually don't have as much time to drink as I'd like, so the convenience factor is big.

Back