Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

RoseBowl/BCS?

johnny2x2x

Our destiny is in our own hands, win next week in we're in the Rose Bowl. I am a Spartan for life and as a Spartan I don't want to back into anything, I want to play the best teams, I'm fine with with Wisconsin or PSU in the Title game. I want to beat the best in the Big Ten to get the chance to play maybe Oregon in the Rose Bowl and see how we stack up with their speed.

If we lose the B1G Title game, we'll still get a great Bowl against a top team. Looks like if U of M beat Ohio State, they had a good enough season and earned it, they'll get Houston in the Sugar Bowl, I'd rather play say Arkansas, Oklahoma or Georgia in a non BCS game than Houston in the Sugar Bowl.

My question is, say if U of M loses and we lose next week to finish 10-3, would we get the Sugar Bowl to play Houston? I know it's more money, but I'd still rather play a bigger name school than Houston. What thinks the Spartan Nation?

Also, I'll be glad if the BCS goes to only matching up the Title game. The BCS doesn't provide the best match ups. This year, we're likely to have some snoozers such as Michigan-Houston and Virginia Tech-Rutgers. There could be much better match ups made with out the BCS being locked into some of these conferences. We need a plus 1 system too, but that's a whole nother thread.

Normally I would agree with you. But this year I'm ok with a houston game for michigan lol.

Dantonio is so conservative, we're up, but we need to keep the pressure on.

johnny2x2x said:
Our destiny is in our own hands, win next week in we're in the Rose Bowl. I am a Spartan for life and as a Spartan I don't want to back into anything, I want to play the best teams, I'm fine with with Wisconsin or PSU in the Title game. I want to beat the best in the Big Ten to get the chance to play maybe Oregon in the Rose Bowl and see how we stack up with their speed.

If we lose the B1G Title game, we'll still get a great Bowl against a top team. Looks like if U of M beat Ohio State, they had a good enough season and earned it, they'll get Houston in the Sugar Bowl, I'd rather play say Arkansas, Oklahoma or Georgia in a non BCS game than Houston in the Sugar Bowl.

My question is, say if U of M loses and we lose next week to finish 10-3, would we get the Sugar Bowl to play Houston? I know it's more money, but I'd still rather play a bigger name school than Houston. What thinks the Spartan Nation?

Also, I'll be glad if the BCS goes to only matching up the Title game. The BCS doesn't provide the best match ups. This year, we're likely to have some snoozers such as Michigan-Houston and Virginia Tech-Rutgers. There could be much better match ups made with out the BCS being locked into some of these conferences. We need a plus 1 system too, but that's a whole nother thread.

You would rather play those teams than get a BCS bowl ? Since we have never been to one I woud rather go to a BCS game. The Rose would be AWESOME.

If we lose against Wsky we don't go to any BCS. We may be the Division champs BUT, we would have one more loss than UM and be ranked lower. They go, we don't. You also have to remember how bad we got spanked last year in the Cap Bowl. That could also be a factor.

Does it matter with the money anymore ? Doesn't the B1G share the Bowl profits among every conference member ?

Yeah, I want to play the best teams even if we get beat, what the Hell glory would it have been to play Houston in the Sugar Bowl. It's a no win situation. We win and it's Houston, they are basically a MAC team, we lose and we lost to a MAC team on National TV.

Same goes fro Michigan now. They lose to Houston and they'll be made fun of, they beat Houston and it's Houston, so what? Houston is not anywhere close to the level of Boise State or TCU the last few years. Any MAC team has played a tougher schedule and I'm serious about that. UTEP and La. Tech were the only decent teams they played and they barely beat both of them. UTEP would struggle to win a single game in the B1G. So basically Houston is maybe a notch above Illinois or Minnesota. Woo hoo, sounds like a great opponent.

I'm happy playing Wisconsin and then another National Power team. I think we can play with any team in the country save for Alabama or LSU. The schedule has been brutal and this team won 10 of them, why back down from a challenge the last 2?

Whether you like the bcs or not, its still a bcs bowl game which is better than a non bcs game. In any event, msu loses and might be Alamo bowl for them.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Whether you like the bcs or not, its still a bcs bowl game which is better than a non bcs game. In any event, msu loses and might be Alamo bowl for them.

Hell, even if it were the Alamo Bowl, that's probably vs. Oklahoma. Arkansas in The Capital One or South Carolina in the Outback are more likely though. All far better opponents than Houston. Michigan played a cupcake schedule and they want to play a cupcake Bowl opponent. State played a murderous schedule and wants to play the best possible team in a Bowl. That about sums up the programs and the fans at this moment in time.

That's not the point. Why care about who you p,ay, why wouldn't you want a bcs bowl? Damn man.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]That's not the point. Why care about who you p,ay, why wouldn't you want a bcs bowl? Damn man.

Why? Because it would mean playing a MAC level team that's why. How does that help the Program if MSU played a MAC level team on a Tuesday night rather than a top tier SEC or Big 12 team? The BCS game I want is the Rose Bowl, if that doesn't happen I want to play the next best possible team out there and Houston isn't it. You don't move a program forward by playing the Houston Cougars.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Because.its.a.bcs.game.

So what? The BCS is a joke if they are making matchups like Michigan-Houston and potentially Va. Tech-Rutgers. It's still possible State goes to the Sugar with a close loss to Wisky and I don't want to play Houston period, I wont be rooting for that at all. It's not a match up that helps the MSU program in any way.

I get you if its one bcs or anther bcs but a bcs against Houston, IMO, is what I'd want over non bcs against a better team. And there's no guarantee they would get a better game. It could be Southern Miss or Baylor. Not what I call a better game.

The BCS is likely only going to pick the Championship game soon so in a couple years people will say, "Houston? but it was a BCS Bowl. BCS Bowl? who gives a shit, Houston is a MAC team that had a good year." One team played Oklahoma or Arkansas instead of playing Houston.

As a college football fan, the BCS is not giving us the best matchups, to me the best possible games would maybe be:

LSU-Bama
Stanford-Ok. State
Va Tech-Arkansas
Houston-Boise State
Oregon-MSU/Wisky
Georgia-Oklahoma
Michigan-South Carolina
K State-MSU/Wisky

That's 7 great matchups right there that would be ideal for college football and for the programs involved. Give the fans what they want, none of the garbage matchups.

I mean, my brother is a Michigan Grad and he's not happy with playing Houston in the Sugar Bowl he wanted a BCS sure, but any other team even if that means no BCS, of course most Michigan fans will be rooting for Houston to lose next week I hope. I guess it's a bounce back year for U of M, but I remember when Michigan was good every year they wanted to play the best team they could, period.

johnny2x2x said:
I mean, my brother is a Michigan Grad and he's not happy with playing Houston in the Sugar Bowl he wanted a BCS sure, but any other team even if that means no BCS, of course most Michigan fans will be rooting for Houston to lose next week I hope. I guess it's a bounce back year for U of M, but I remember when Michigan was good every year they wanted to play the best team they could, period.

I see what you're saying, but me, I look at it different. In most of our eyes we won the B10 last year, but many say we SHARED the title, which we did. We didn't play OSU, one of the best teams in conference, but we still have our name in the book as champions. Do we say that we aren't Champions because we didn't play the best and shared the championship ? Nope, were champions. Same with the BCS. If we get a BCS win, it will always be a BCS win, regardless of who we play. ALL BCS games are highly publicized which would give us lots of attention. Personally, I don't think we match up well with the best teams available anyways.

I want the Rose Bowl, just don't like the match ups. If it's Stanford I would feel better, I think Oregon would Finesse us to death.

If we don't get the Rose Bowl I change my answer. I want the Outback Bowl cause I hate the SEC and wins over them is always better. Plus I live near Tampa and it is an easier trip to make. But to be truthful I will still be pissed if we didn't get BCS because we lost in the B1G championship game. I hate that the loser gets punished for playing in that game while it looks like UM will take advantage for not winning their divison.

Doesn't mean I won't complain about how shitty the BCS and college football are until they develop a fair system. I am fine with playing in one of the FL bowls cause I think beating OSU, UM, Wisc., Iowa is a good enough year. The only loss I am pissed about is ND.

Back