Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Black Keys

deathroh

New album, El Camino, leaked yesterday.

These guys could be a band that people who don't pay attention to modern music could get into. Good scuzzy guitar, drummer keeps a solid beat....good driving or drinking music. Not together of course.

I think I might listen to them for the drive home. Little Everlasting Light, Unknown Brother and a couple others should get me there.

I saw this.

I have their last album, "Brothers," which was solid, but something about them just leaves me feeling kinda blah. I guess because most of their stuff is so obviously derived from prior acts. The only thing that sets their sound apart is the distortion they use, or the audio effects. The chords, melodies, etc., sometimes entire riffs are lifted from older stuff. Moreso than other acts even.

don't get me wrong, I LIKE their music, but it's like the rock equivalent of elevator music to me.

if I can find this album for cheap, I'll get it.

for the last couple years though, going back and digging up albums from the past that I never really listened to satisfies my need for "new stuff," kinda like getting that "Lords of the Underground" album.

I agree to an extent, and that's partly what made me think that some on the board might like it.

Always good to go back and find lost or missed treasures.

I realized a while ago that there IS actually music coming out that I'd want to listen to, but it's not readily apparent. Like... LCD Soundsystem... heard them by chance back in '07 when they were playing on the local college station in chicago. TV on the Radio... saw them on Colbert one night. you almost have to get lucky sometimes. I think we talked about this before.

I was at a club a month ago, and I heard some amazing stuff. I asked the DJ who it was, and he told me "Electric 6." I looked them up and couldn't believe that: 1.) they were from The D, and 2.) they had been around for years...

Yeah, we have...takes some work and luck to find it, for sure. Especially now with the insane amount of music that comes out every day, since it's so much easier to create music on your own with computers and whatnot. Of course the majority of it is crap, so you have to find the right filter and hope they don't miss anything. Unless you have the time to download 10 albums a day and skim through them like Marlo does.

Speaking of TVOTR I'm hoping they come out with some dark shit on their next one. They've kind of lost that edge I felt with them early on....musically and lyrically, to sunshiny and direct.

Electric 6...I remember hearing a song or two from them back in the early 2000's, but it wasn't for me. I know you're in Chicago, but they play around here all the time.

DR said:
Electric 6...I remember hearing a song or two from them back in the early 2000's, but it wasn't for me. I know you're in Chicago, but they play around here all the time.

Actually playing St. Andrews on 12/23.

Oh, and the Black Keys are getting over exposed as fuck.

Back