Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Extension

ah crap this day just keeps getting worse. Anyone else want a drink?

Ugh, wait until the season is over. The Tigers haven't won anything yet.

Pressure to make the playloffs just got that much higher

johnny2x2x said:
Ugh, wait until the season is over. The Tigers haven't won anything yet.
this. there shouldnt be a reward for being 4 games up on aug 8th. the end of the season sure, but not with 2 months to go after a season full of inconsistencies.

Too soon for Leyland, imo.
Well we will know in time how the DD extension affects Al Avila Sr.
his feelings, whether he stays, leaves with this news.

DR said:
escher said:
Pressure to make the playloffs just got that much higher

Higher? I was thinking the opposite.

These moves aren't justifiable if they don't make it. IMO that raises expectations but I can see where you're comin from too

escher said:
DR said:
Higher? I was thinking the opposite.

These moves aren't justifiable if they don't make it. IMO that raises expectations but I can see where you're comin from too

Sure, the decision wouldn't look like a good one, but where are the repercussions?

I think worrying about having a job the next year would apply more pressure than worrying what the media and/or fans are going to say about your boss' decision.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]Too soon for Leyland, imo.

Ahh, didn't think about Avila. Man I hope he sticks.

Congratulations, both extensions are well deserved, regrdless of what some of you think

randyf10 said:
Congratulations, both extensions are well deserved, regrdless of what some of you think

Well deserved because they have made the playoffs once in JL and DD's tenure, 5 seasons ago? Or because they haven't won the AL Central with one of the highest payrolls in baseball year after year?

I don't see why people are complaining.

It's not like they can't still be fired. But now they can focus on winning this season and not their jobs, that makes a lot of sense to me.

Also for people who were disillusioned, Kirk Gibson was not coming here next year even if Leyland was gone. A rookie manager who has a great shot to win his division with a Cinderella team, no way he runs from that after this year, he would look like the worlds biggest asshole.

I'm not sold on Brookens for those who think he was heir apparent, I'm also not a huge Leyland supporter, but I think he gets raked over the coals for far more then he should.

My only gripe is giving DD 4 years, why not just extend them both 1 year for now, what DD does in this off season to keep the Tigers in the race next season will say a lot, if he can't land some kind of deal for a 2nd and 3rd basemen, plus probably 1 starter, 4 years is going to seem like eons.

kgdetroit said:
randyf10 said:

Well deserved because they have made the playoffs once in JL and DD's tenure, 5 seasons ago? Or because they haven't won the AL Central with one of the highest payrolls in baseball year after year?

Every year except 2008 the Tigers were in the thick of it for a good part of the season, when was the last time the Tigers could say that? 1987?

Also the Mets and Cubs proved Payroll does not = success.

DR said:
escher said:

Sure, the decision wouldn't look like a good one, but where are the repercussions?

I think worrying about having a job the next year would apply more pressure than worrying what the media and/or fans are going to say about your boss' decision.

It's hard to say there are or aren't repercussions to these moves, I just don't understand why not wait to see how the season plays out before extending them

MI_Thumb said:
kgdetroit said:

Every year except 2008 the Tigers were in the thick of it for a good part of the season, when was the last time the Tigers could say that? 1987?

If thats good enough for you then so be it... It's not good enough for me. With an open checkbook and an owner who wants to win, in the thick of it isn't good enough.

The Mets and Cubs have 2 of the worst front offices in baseball, which kind of proves my point that an extension is not deserved.

MI_Thumb said:
kgdetroit said:

He should compete given the money he spends. What's the hurry? DD is still living off of 06. Are people still happy cause we just compete??? Who cares! He got an extension for being mediocre.

DR said:
[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]Too soon for Leyland, imo.

Ahh, didn't think about Avila. Man I hope he sticks.

From an AP report- "The Tigers also extended the contracts of assistant general manager Al Avila, vice president for amateur scouting David Chadd, vice president for player personnel Scott Reid and baseball legal counsel John Westhoff."

Also, good to see a fair number of you over here. :) Looking forward to the playoffs.

I don't mind the one year extension. And I don't believe DD had done that bad. When it comes to draft, player trades, free agency I think he's done much more good than bad. Not sure about the 4 years though.

Back