Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lakers trading for Howard and Paul??

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
Ummm...forgive me if this is old news, but i havne't been paying attention to nba stuff for a while. I just saw a news flash on ESPN that said sources say the Lakers are discussing trading for Cp3 and Dwight Howard....and they actually have the ammo to do it. At first, it sounded like complete b.s., but now i'm not so sure.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
Sure it wasn't the clippers? Lol

no wtf? they said it was a real possibiility that kobe could play with howard and chris paul. WTF???

Kupchek, of course said he's happy with the team as it is now, but you know that's b.s.

i started a thread a weak ago that said 1 potential trade was bynum for howard. Dunno what the would have to package for cp3.

If the lakers have kobe pau paul and dwight. Then I'm not watching a single game.

Especially since I'm a magic fan. I don't want bynum unless he gets some robotic legs.

Lakers SUPPOSEDLY are considering Pau for Paul but only if they can complete Bynum and Odom for Howard and Turkoglu.

Originally I had heard that they would deal Bynum and some others for Howard and would then be open to trading Odom for Iguadola. The Odom for Iggy talks have been reported for a little bit now and have been confirmed. Odom's feeling seem to be hurt over it too.

Take everything with a grain of salt...I will say NBA rumours USUALLY have more substance than any other sport though.

If the Lakers can land Howard and Paul, it would be an epic win on their part. It's going to have a lot to do with the offers available, though. Neither Paul or Howard will have leverage to get to LA (LA has no chance of signing them in the offseason). But, obviously it could scare off other offers if both players refuse to sign an extension with any other team. I'm just not sold on the deal for Howard. Pau for Paul actually makes a lot of sense given Paul's injury concerns and Pau having carried another small market to the playoffs himself. Bynum is just not healthy enough consistently, and Odom is perpetually overpaid. NOLA could legitimately push for a bottom playoff seed with Pau - which is good enough given their situation. Orlando can't rightly rebuild around an old Odom and broken Bynum.

Beez said:
[color=#551A8B said:
BestIsBest[/color]]If that happens im done with the NBA.

Why?

Why? Because it would be ridiculous, It would be a 4 or 5 team league

LA: Kobe, Dwight, CP3
Miami: Bron, Wade, Bosh
New York: Melo, Amare, and theyre going to add another star(Probally Deron Williams)

and then OKC and Chicago

Everyone else would be fucked. All the stars would be in the big markets. Mine as well cut the league down to 10 teams.

I agree.. This whole league is a joke.. I am sick and tired of the self centered attitude of thee players.. Non of them want to build their own legacy and everything is motivated by selfishness.. They either want their hands held by like talents, or be in a market where they can get the most endorsements.. It makes me sick..

And then new stars come into the league.... I don't like it much either but it's not going to make me "done with the NBA".... New York, Miami, LA etc will be stuck with these guys long term so it will allow the newer stars to play with other teams. Now obviously as some guys get older it opens up spots to go get the new guys but while I think this "star" thing is an issue, I think it's being made a bigger deal than it is.

a young star will play for the team through their rookie contract and then will leave to the bigger market teams like usual

Maize&Cheese304 said:
a young star will play for the team through their rookie contract and then will leave to the bigger market teams like usual

Only so many big market team...if there are more than about 12 superstars the ycan't ALL fit on those team. lol Not everyone wil have 3 of them either.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
Well 3 teams with big 3's. That's 9 out of 12. Lol.

Thats what I'm trying to get at though...there will be more and more superstars as the league continues and guys like LBJ/Melo will play for years to allow the amount to build which means more and more teams will have them. It may create a dominance of 5 or 6 teams but isn't it always that way? Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, (at one time Chicago) etc...The NBA has almost always been about a select group of team having a chance of winning the title. Before the big 3 most of the teams who still suck now, wouldn't have had a shot at a title then. So whats the difference. If anything it may balance the NBA more having these star driven teams. Teams like New York can again compete with the likes of the Lakers n Celtics. Every year you go into the season thinking "Well who's gonna win it out of the Lakers, Spurs, Celtics and now Heat...... Thats all going to change. Did the Clippers, Bucks, Warriors have much of a shot before? Nope...nothing will change in that regard. The best franchises will just get better.

Like I said, I don't like it much but I don't think it's as big of a deal as people think. Free Agency n cap dumps did more to ruin the little guy than this will.

Beez said:
Maize&Cheese304 said:
Well 3 teams with big 3's. That's 9 out of 12. Lol.

Thats what I'm trying to get at though...there will be more and more superstars as the league continues and guys like LBJ/Melo will play for years to allow the amount to build which means more and more teams will have them. It may create a dominance of 5 or 6 teams but isn't it always that way? Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, (at one time Chicago) etc...The NBA has almost always been about a select group of team having a chance of winning the title. Before the big 3 most of the teams who still suck now, wouldn't have had a shot at a title then. So whats the difference. If anything it may balance the NBA more having these star driven teams. Teams like New York can again compete with the likes of the Lakers n Celtics. Every year you go into the season thinking "Well who's gonna win it out of the Lakers, Spurs, Celtics and now Heat...... Thats all going to change. Did the Clippers, Bucks, Warriors have much of a shot before? Nope...nothing will change in that regard. The best franchises will just get better.

Like I said, I don't like it much but I don't think it's as big of a deal as people think. Free Agency n cap dumps did more to ruin the little guy than this will.

I think what were trying to get it at is the aspect of players not wanting to do it on their own. And back in the 90's it wasnt at all like it is now. Many small market teams were making the finals. Such as Portland, Phoenix, Seattle, Utah. But now those teams will never have a realistic shot. I get what you say by new stars will come into the league. But why shouldn't we expect them to do the same thing as Lebron?

[color=#551A8B said:
BestIsBest[/color]]
Beez said:

I think what were trying to get it at is the aspect of players not wanting to do it on their own. And back in the 90's it wasnt at all like it is now. Many small market teams were making the finals. Such as Portland, Phoenix, Seattle, Utah. But now those teams will never have a realistic shot. I get what you say by new stars will come into the league. But why shouldn't we expect them to do the same thing as Lebron?

Because realistically (For now) it seems 3 guys at MAX for one superstar team...someitmes 2. So with enough stars in the coming years it would seem that the number of superstar teams will increase instead of just a select few. The age of the superstars in the NBA seems to be relatively young.

I understand your guys' beef completely...I just don't think it's enough (for me) to say ahh fuck the NBA this is garbage. I don't think it makes it that bad. Look last year, the Mavs with one star and a bunch of solid role players beat the MIGHTY Heat. This could set up some great drama between teams in the playoffs.

Back