Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ricky Williams Almost Became A Lion

sunnydlitex123

http://www.freep.com/article/20110808/SP....ns?odysse y=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p

RB Ricky Williams talked to Lions before signing with Ravens

DETROIT FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Before he signed with the Baltimore Ravens, Ricky Williams considered becoming a Detroit Lion.

In an interview on Florida radio station 560-WQAM today, via the Ft. Lauderdale Sun Sentinel, Williams said he talked to Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan this morning but picked the Ravens because they

he wouldve been perfect. fuckin birds
angry.png
:(" title=":mad:" border="0"/>

when he averaged under 4 yds per carry with us because of our terrible o line, most of you would have said what a terrible signing he was
laugh.png
Just need a body....it wont matter who we get til we get someone in the middle that can open some holes.

i mean the part where linehan was talking to him about being a lion when he was under contract.

sunnydlitex123 said:
Let's hope his comments don't hurt us... Way to go Pothead...

Yeah, we're probably getting punished for this. If Gunther's comments were tampering, this is much worse. I could be wrong, hopefully Slick comes in and calls me a gimp and tells me why I'm wrong. lol

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
sunnydlitex123 said:
Let's hope his comments don't hurt us... Way to go Pothead...

Yeah, we're probably getting punished for this. If Gunther's comments were tampering, this is much worse. I could be wrong, hopefully Slick comes in and calls me a gimp and tells me why I'm wrong. lol

It's got to be proven... Like Ricky Williams has any legitimate long term or short term memory at this point.

Any Questions?

The Lions will sign somebody soon... It will be great to resurrect a career because the lions are going places... I hope... I am trying to stay positive.

He is a free agent you cant be busted for tampering when said player isnt on a team. Teams can talk to free agents or even players under contract with the teams permission.

sunnydlitex123 said:

So yet another draft-pick swap or perhaps even the possible loss of a pick in a middle or higher round and a fine could/might be imposed on the Lions staff/brass, IF the NFL bigwigs decide to pursue this and punishes them again for this potential violation...especially due the fact that it happened after the violation that they were being punished for with the Chiefs.

The purely "Lironic" part of any potential punishment is that Williams was going to become a FA, and even though Linehan stupidly or knowingly (or much more likely...both) took what was a "small" (at the time) chance on being busted for trying to lure a player under contract here, BUT Williams still chose to sign with the Ravens, knowing all too well that the Lions had JUST lost their prized rookie RB for at LEAST the entire season on the very same day, more desperately wanted him, and even though they may have been willing to pay Ricky more than the Ravens will be. Lions quite obviously have not as yet shed their looong deserved reputaion of being the "Rodney Dangerfields" of the NFL.

Hey..a new word that I just created for the accursed Lions' lexicon: Lironic...or maybe better still, Lirony...heh!!

;)

wheels002 said:
He is a free agent you cant be busted for tampering when said player isnt on a team. Teams can talk to free agents or even players under contract with the teams permission.

No. It says linehan approached him after the game last year. He was under contract at the time.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/08/detroit_lions_scott_linehan_sa.html

Smart Move; use the "Ricky is a pot head and can't remember the story correctly" excuse...

Whew...

Winning!

"I have great regard for Ricky as a person and a player, but my recollection of our exchange is not what was reported. Like most coaches do after games, I briefly talked to one of my former players and wished him well. It was no different than what goes on after every NFL game between coaches and their former players."

Back