Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Celtics agree on sign n trade of Big Baby

beez

Glenn Davis to Orlando for Brandon Bass. Celtics get even softer.

Bass just isn't assertive enough. He's kinda been in limbo in orlando for awhile. He's the starter then he's not, he's the starter then he's not. He's pretty talented but very passive n I wouldn't expect much from him with the dominant personalities of Paul, KG,Allen n Rondo around him. He's not assertive enough to be a feature player.

Last year he averaged a career high 26 min per game, 11 points n around 5-6 boards. Great free throw shooter and has a nice touch when he does shoot. Hits about 50% of his shots so he's efficient.

One thing I'm wondering about Bass, is he a passive or assertive player?

Big baby and lopez wouldn't be too bad of a front court to rebuild on. Both pretty young

DR said:
One thing I'm wondering about Bass, is he a passive or assertive player?

DUDE I SAID IT 3 TIMES! No he's not!

Whats funny is they used to referto Bass as Charles Oakley n worried about his demeanor...it's weird how you can be so tough but just disappear on the floor.

Beez said:

Beez, You seem to be the man, or at least one of the most knowledgeable regarding the nba, teams and players.
Why did the Celts trade big baby? Was it about his game, or for cap space to make other moves? Baby iirc played good defense or at least one of the top players to lead the league in taking a charge.
The way the Celts are now, I can't help but feel their window is small with the team they have. Ray, KG, and Pierce are getting up there in age, well Pierce has a few years left, I think.
I don't know all that much about Green but he seemed one of the more athletic on the team running the floor. The rest of his game idk, lacking on defense?
Is there truth to them trading Rondo?
I do think they need a true center.

I'm thinking the magic are the ones who wanted the trade. Probably preparing for howard leaving.

And the celts might be trying to get more athletic, with the big 3 being up there in age.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
Beez said:

Beez, You seem to be the man, or at least one of the most knowledgeable regarding the nba, teams and players.
Why did the Celts trade big baby? Was it about his game, or for cap space to make other moves? Baby iirc played good defense or at least one of the top players to lead the league in taking a charge.
The way the Celts are now, I can't help but feel their window is small with the team they have. Ray, KG, and Pierce are getting up there in age, well Pierce has a few years left, I think.
I don't know all that much about Green but he seemed one of the more athletic on the team running the floor. The rest of his game idk, lacking on defense?

It was all about money. Davis is a bench-level player, and Boston is already looking at paying the luxury tax. Davis took a bunch of charges, but he also is a poor rebounder, relatively inefficient scorer (almost all his shots are jumpers), and is too short to play center. Bass really can do all the same things Davis can, and is 33% cheaper.

everyoneneedsasmil said:
[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]

It was all about money. Davis is a bench-level player, and Boston is already looking at paying the luxury tax. Davis took a bunch of charges, but he also is a poor rebounder, relatively inefficient scorer (almost all his shots are jumpers), and is too short to play center. Bass really can do all the same things Davis can, and is 33% cheaper.

This pretty much sums it up. While Boston will miss the energy, and big spurts, Davis is relatively overrated. If he was about 4 inches taller we wouldn't say that. He's often listed as 6'9 but it's been said he is more like 6'7ish which means he's the same height as some 2 guards and even shorter than some SF's.
Instead of boxing out he's known more of a pusher. Not a bad player but for the price you could do better. I think his fire is his biggest appeal in Boston. He really lifted that team in tough situations sometimes.

Add to this that Boston felt like they were going to Get David West in a sign n trade from New Orleans. West is coming off surgery I believe but is a VERY talented shooter (inside) and has improved his rebounding. A very capable 20 ppg and 7-8 RPG guy. Unfortunately for Boston the deal fell through last second because New Orleans didn't want to take Jermaine Oneal back in the deal and instead dealt him to Indiana. While they'll miss Davis here n there I don't think in a year people will be saying "Why did we ever let that guy go?"....

As far as Green, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him being dealt. His potential is appetizing to clubs and the Celtics have strategically worked a deal with him to get things done. I think he's got a 1 year 9 million dollar contract. He could be dealt before the season in a big deal for a coveted player, they can let him play and deal him at the deadline to a willing buyer who can work out a new contract with him, or he could play very good basketball and show he's a great player for their future in which they could sign him long term with all the money they may potentially have next year. The Celtics will have some cash next year to throw his way if they feel like he's the guy for them. I like what Boston is doing.

The Rondo trade talks....your guess is as good as mine. Seems like they've been talking about it for 2-3 years now and nothing comes of it. I think for the right guy (CP3, Deron Williams etc) sure...but they aren't going to trade him unless they get a franchise guy back. I don't see it happening but I'm really unsure to be honest.

Back