Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Is Hoke really that big?

dubbsco

I'm reading comments on the Freep about the Weight article, and there are a couple comments about how big of a dude he is, and it can be "life-threatening." Is he really that fat?? He looks like a big dude to me, but I mean come on, is he Mangino? Friedgen? He played D-line in college right? He's probably always going to be a naturally bigger guy. If he wants to lose some pounds, fine, but come on.

If he has a Charlie Weiss Fupa than I cannot support him.

he's a big guy, but he doesn't look morbidly obese in person.

he could definitely lose some weight though.

then again, there *are* some people that can be that size and be healthy. I have known a couple people that looked fat, but ate healthy, reasonable portions, and had low blood pressure. If I were them, I would still try and lose weight... but it wasn't like they were about to keel over.

Hoke looks kinda like that to me: a healthy big guy.

Well, there's no real way to tell if he is unhealthy for us. He does look fat to me. I do wish that he would lose some weight. It looks in poor taste, but that's just my opinion. All of that 'naturally big' stuff is just an excuse. Anyone can lose weight and look like their in shape if they just get some willpower and do the right thing.

I get so irritated when people ask me for advice about fitness and then say something like, "Well, I'm big boned" or "it must be nice to be naturally fit" like I haven't worked my ass off to be this way.

I dare some fuckeye or sparty to call him fat to his face. Hoke doesn't seem like the type of guy to take an insult with a smile.

As a football coach, I would imagine he does a lot of drills and moving around on the practice field. Yes, he probably could lose a few lbs, but he doesn't look like a big, lazy, fat guy to me. He has that lineman (minus the muscles) type look.

Hungry said:
Well, there's no real way to tell if he is unhealthy for us. He does look fat to me. I do wish that he would lose some weight. It looks in poor taste, but that's just my opinion. All of that 'naturally big' stuff is just an excuse. Anyone can lose weight and look like their in shape if they just get some willpower and do the right thing.

I get so irritated when people ask me for advice about fitness and then say something like, "Well, I'm big boned" or "it must be nice to be naturally fit" like I haven't worked my ass off to be this way.

Or how about "I wish I had a fast metabolism like you"

I've heard that all through my life. I wasn't in shape from going to the gym or playing basketball everyday for 4-6hrs, that'd be silly. And since I've had a son, I've gained about 30lbs haha.

Wolverine mag Preseason issue had pics of him from highschool and college

GoOd story on him

I think he is just a big guy. Yeah probably could stand to lose a few pounds and his diet I doubt is perfect because he is usually on the go but no way is he Mangino. I am shocked that guy didn't have a heart attack on the sideline. That was a HUGE guy.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
Hungry said:

Or how about "I wish I had a fast metabolism like you"

I've heard that all through my life. I wasn't in shape from going to the gym or playing basketball everyday for 4-6hrs, that'd be silly. And since I've had a son, I've gained about 30lbs haha.

yeah, "fast metabolism."

I've heard that too. I don't doubt that some people are genetically more likely to gain weight, and they DO have a harder time than I do, but some people just look for an excuse to do nothing.

whenever I have gotten lazy and slipped a bit, I always cut back on my diet, and go to the gym more. It's not like I don't work at it at all. And even if you do have a high metabolic rate, you're not going to get any muscle definition just by eating right and sitting around.

i was originally going off a tweet with no pic - just got home and saw it but he is uni so maybe it is slight injury with some protection

wheels002 said:
I think he is just a big guy. Yeah probably could stand to lose a few pounds and his diet I doubt is perfect because he is usually on the go but no way is he Mangino. I am shocked that guy didn't have a heart attack on the sideline. That was a HUGE guy.

Always on the go?!?!? Yeah...another cop-out. This guy has so much money, its pathetic. This guy could hire a personal trainer and his own personal cook. In fact, he could probably convince UofM to hire one of each for him. Then they could make all of his food and tell him exactly when and what to eat. There is no excuse for a coach to be fat. He just wants to be fat. There are no other bones about it. UofM has the best trainers in the business.

michlady77 said:
Watch some of the countdiwn vudeos and you can see his size

Yes, it looks to me like he has lost a few lbs since his hire January.
Good thing for many reasons, not just for the Image of Michigan (which is extremely important) but for the Coach's health as well.

Folks might remember from my posts in the "Old Country" that the svelteness of the Michigan HC mattered, in my opinion; tough to coach athletes about fitness if one is unfit oneself (again, just my opinion).

A couple of them portly HCs were brought up in this thread heretorefore; sorry, if I were an AD (which I'll never be) I wouldn't hire any of those portly sons of guns either.

So here's to Hoke continuing on his important personal fitness program, and...

here's to Michigan!

Go Blue!!!

I cant believe a thread about Brady Hokes waiste line is getting this much attention...GOD I CAN"T WAIT FOR FOOTBALL.

Beez said:
I cant believe a thread about Brady Hokes waiste line is getting this much attention...GOD I CAN"T WAIT FOR FOOTBALL.

fitness is/was a regular topic with this bunch over on the ESPN bunch. It only follows that we'd talk about our coach and fitness together at some point(s).

Hey as long as he is in shape enough to coach hands on, in no risk of health, and wins. I don't care what he looks like.

Back