Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

packers game question

wolverine304

On the fumble return, there was a clipping. The fumble got called back. Why did the clipping penalty still count?

Because he clipped? Reversing the call doesn't mean that the clipping never happened. At least that's my guess, I was kinda surprised too.

Didn't the clip happen on the fumble return? If they fumbled was called back, you'd think the clipping would be too.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
Didn't the clip happen on the fumble return? If they fumbled was called back, you'd think the clipping would be too.

Yeah but if a personal foul happened it would still count right? So I'm assuming that penalties don't just go away if a fumble didn't happen

I thought they screwed up the call. If there was no fumble then the recovery never happened, thus no clip.

i think its one of the major fouls that while not a "personal foul" per se is usually still enforced like one because it can lead to injuries. therefore even though the play got reversed, they still enforced the clipping penalty for the 1st down and penalty yards.

Spockmaster said:
i think its one of the major fouls that while not a "personal foul" per se is usually still enforced like one because it can lead to injuries. therefore even though the play got reversed, they still enforced the clipping penalty for the 1st down and penalty yards.
I've never heard of that b4. It seems like a lame call tho. Isn't a clip just an illegal block? It's not like a face-mask or a hit out of bounds. In any event, it still doesn't make sense bc if the refs called the play dead(No fumble) nothing should commense fromthat point forward save for a obvious PF.

all i saw for the rule was that it was a block where they pushed from behind or something. thats the only reason i could think of.

Back