Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Anyone have the skinny on Harrison?

upnorth

From Wikipedia:

"On December 20, 2009 at Kansas City, Harrison broke Jim Brown's single game rushing record for a Cleveland Brown running back with 286 yards and three touchdowns, placing him third on the all-time single-game rushing yards list behind Adrian Peterson, who had rushed for 296 yards and three touchdowns against the San Diego Chargers in 2007, and Jamal Lewis, who had rushed for 295 yards and two touchdowns against the Browns in 2003. He maintained that form through the end of the regular season, rushing for 561 yards and five touchdowns in the last three games. Harrison became the starting running back for the Browns at the start of the 2010 season, but lost his job early in the season to Peyton Hillis."

Is he a one-game wonder or what? You would think teams would be tripping over themselves to get him.

Mike Bell is a good pickup, he seems to be pretty consistent.

Who is the better pickup?

I know that he isn't a big dude... Like 5' 8"- 5' 9". Not sure why he fell out of favor in cleveland.

I don't know the reasons, but he seemed to always get hyped up during the off-season and then the Browns just never used him. The season before last he went on a pretty impressive run in the final three games and the Browns fans thought they had found their star runner. Then for whatever reason he was once again relegated to back-up duties behind Peyton Hillis and they finally traded him. Then he had to back-up McCoy in Philly and when given the chance he produced there.

His career has been a bit puzzling so far to say the least, but he was the best back left on the market and good definitely prove to be a good pick-up.

Also one interesting tidbit, thee two players at RB we signed today, Bell and Harrison were traded for each other last year.

To me the skinny is good olines make for good runners. Cleveland's oline can run block. That being said Harrison is shifty and has the speed to hit holes hard. I see this as an Eric Wright type signing boom or bust change of scenery which could re-invigorate his career. Mike Bell is a big back and was used primarily in goal line situations for the last few years. He might fill that role plus closer here. More likely one will remain on the game day roster, but it isn't out of the question both could. If we want to rely on someone for the success of our run game it is going to be Best.

I live in the Cleveland area and have watched Harrison since his rookie year. He falls into the category of coaches think he is too small to be a featured back.

He was featured for a few games in 2009. He got between 29-39 carries 4 times and got 121-286 yards in those games.

He can catch the ball out of the backfield. He is quick and shifty. He has big play ability. He takes pretty good care of the ball.

I think he will take Maurice's spot and Bell will be the short yardage guy. I don't know much about Bell except that he is a bigger back.

slick said:
would have rather had Portis....blah

If healthy then yea, but the guy has been so injury prone the past couple years and hes only getting older. The reason hes still out there is nobody wants to sign him to a deal and he gets hurt in camp and they are stuck with him. Same thing with Kevin Smith, both those guys took a boatload of carries and their bodies are breaking down.

The fact that they were traded for eachother should spark a bit of competition. I like the signing of the pair.

at least we made a move and fast. I like both guys. I am a little shocked they didnt sign Smith back but oh well. At least we didnt sign Cason back. AS many times as we waved him he kept comming back. Almost as bad as Fred Jackson for U of M.

wheels002 said:
at least we made a move and fast. I like both guys. I am a little shocked they didnt sign Smith back but oh well. At least we didnt sign Cason back. AS many times as we waved him he kept comming back. Almost as bad as Fred Jackson for U of M.

you know why Fred Jackson always keeps his job...he is one of the best recruiters in the state of Michigan , he has all the "in's" with the high school coaches in the State...it's why they keep him on every staff.

Both decent pickups. Mike Bell is solid and pretty consistent. He is just not going to wow you. He will be a nice compliment to Best. I like Harrison more and I think he could turn out to be great pickup. Both will be able to step in if Best misses a few games.

gimme Harrison over Aaron Brown..thats for sure.

Best
Bell
Morris
Harrison

we can roll with that.....

I agree both pick ups were the best they could do. The one thing that has totally changed with the Lions is they make moves when they need to. I am a little shocked they havnt picked up an OL but trying not to worry. Mayhew and the Schwartz seem to work very well together and do what they can to make the team better.

wheels002 said:
I agree both pick ups were the best they could do. The one thing that has totally changed with the Lions is they make moves when they need to. I am a little shocked they havnt picked up an OL but trying not to worry. Mayhew and the Schwartz seem to work very well together and do what they can to make the team better.

maybe they were never worried about the injuries to the oline.

I like the signings. Bell was the hammer in New Orleans a few years back and Harrison has never really gotten a fair shake in the NFL. Everytime this kid has played, he's produced. Not sure what the problem is with him on why he's being bounced around a few teams the last couple of years. Attitude problem??

All in all, 2 good signings.

Yea I like both moves. Bell has good short yardage power and at times was new orleans best back when they won the super bowl. Just like you guys have said I dont understand why Harrison has been getting bounced around so much. Those three games for the bears a few years ago I really thought were his coming out party, he ran very hard and has good speed and power. I hope he can bring that to the lions.

Signing Harrison was interesting. Very agile, quick, small. Just like Best. Schwartz and co will use him to keep Best fresh but still keep the defense on their feet.

Back