Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Romo safety

beez

Just a question.....

If he was tackled by the opposing player, why isn't it forward progress and Dallas' ball on the 1?

If he was deemed to be under his own power going back into the endzone then why oculdn't he get back up and throw the ball? Is it the same rule as a punt or kick return? Once your knee touches in the endzone you're down? How does that work? Never really have run into this situation before.

no clue but he looked like he was drunk trying to get up in the end zone....then on the sidlelines Witten was like WTF I was open why didnt you throw it.

he was down when his knee went down, which happened to be in the endzone. as for forward progress, that is only if you gain yards past the line of scrimmage. otherwise wherever you finally go down is where the ball is spotted. thats why you lose yardage on sacks and whatnot.

Spockmaster said:
he was down when his knee went down, which happened to be in the endzone. as for forward progress, that is only if you gain yards past the line of scrimmage. otherwise wherever you finally go down is where the ball is spotted. thats why you lose yardage on sacks and whatnot.

Not true...if you are stopped behind the line and someone throws you backwards, you're down where contact was made with the opposing player. Just like if the quarterback is drilled onto his back, they don't spot it where he lands, they spot it where the ball was when he was standing.

If your QB is sacked at the 1 n falls in the endzone it's not a safety..thats why I was wondering about this. The only thing I can think of is that it may be a rule that even if it's a play that is uninfluenced by a defender, a knee in the endzone may be an automatic safety.

Down by contact isnt down til his knee is down. To be honest i didnt think it should have been ruled as down by contact. Looks like he just lost his balance after the fact....should have been able to get up and continue the play imo.

wasnt forward progress cause he stumbled into the end zone on his own....like when titus tried to not get that 3rd down conversion but got a lucky spot.

I'm not a guy to say "That lost the game." , but let's say it was placed at the 1. Dallas punts and hold the Giants.

Fast forward----- Giants are down 14 in the final 5 min or so and score 2 tds to tie it up instead of take the lead. Kick still gets blocked, we go to OT.

Never know if the game would still play out that way but just a thought.

Number 90 touched Romo, he started to lose his balance and then fell and it happened to be in the end zone. Down by contract. This is not a case where a DE throws a QB or pushes him back so its forward progress. It looked like a safety to me live and after the replay.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Number 90 touched Romo, he started to lose his balance and then fell and it happened to be in the end zone. Down by contract. This is not a case where a DE throws a QB or pushes him back so its forward progress. It looked like a safety to me live and after the replay.

But there is no gray area in the urle correct? A push backwards is the same thing as a guy slapping your ankle and you falling down by rule isn't it? Thats what I don't understand. Contact is contact if the player is deemed down due by defensive force.

He didn't really push him back, it just got a piece while getting block past. I think that's what the difference is.

[flash=350,287:ai4i652v]http://www.youtube.com/v/oKsCbeG_lyI&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:ai4i652v]
</td><td valign="top">
<iframe src="http://images.proboards.com/banners/300x250_14.html" width="300" height="250" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
</td></tr></table>

Beez said:
I'm not a guy to say "That lost the game." , but let's say it was placed at the 1. Dallas punts and hold the Giants.

Fast forward----- Giants are down 14 in the final 5 min or so and score 2 tds to tie it up instead of take the lead. Kick still gets blocked, we go to OT.

Never know if the game would still play out that way but just a thought.

The safety helped Dallas out with field position quite a bit. After it NY took over on their own 29.

If it was down by contact i dont know what part of the rule states the ball should be spotted where he landed and not forward progress where he was hit....especially since he was going backwards at the time. Confusing call....it would have to be something in the rule book that explains what constitutes forward progress.

mhughes0021 said:
If it was down by contact i dont know what part of the rule states the ball should be spotted where he landed and not forward progress where he was hit....especially since he was going backwards at the time. Confusing call....it would have to be something in the rule book that explains what constitutes forward progress.

Right, I just honestly don't have a clue and surprisingly haven't heard much about that play. Guess that gets thrown on the back burner when a team loses on last second fg's in back to back weeks to put their playoff hopes in serious jeapordy.

Back