Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Harrison suspended 1 game

spockmaster

for his hit on McCoy, the NFL considers him a "repeat offender".

i dunno how i feel. i think harrison definitely crosses the line from agressive to dirty a lot, but its not like this hit was as bad as suh's stomp or anything. at the same time harrison brought it on himself by continuing to play the way he does after multiple warnings from the leauge. maybe if he stopped tackling people like Zidane he might not be in this situation. *shrug* this is a tricky one.

If the league was truly worried about helmet to helmet contact, they would have fined an offensive player for the same infraction. Running backs lead with their helmet nearly every play through the line.

I think it is ridiculous to suspend Harrison for a football play/hit. Suh & Haynesworth were suspended for non-football acts. I don't think anyone has ever been suspend for a hit, dirty or not.

The league is probably looking at it in a way of, fines are suppose to help stop players from repeating these actions...when the fines don't work they move to suspensions. They probably feel they can fine him all they want but if it doesn't help stop it then what does it matter.

I have a hard time believing a 1-game suspension will prevent Harrision or guys like him to play differently.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I have a hard time believing a 1-game suspension will prevent Harrision or guys like him to play differently.

As do I but what other option do they have? Gotta suspend him 1 game before you decide to suspend him 3 or 4. The punishment will get progressively worse until he stops or just quits football all together. People have been making these hits for years so i hate to see the sport sissified now but rules are rules. If the NFL wants them to be taken seriously they have toi give harsher penalties to guys who don't change and keep repeating the same offenses.

I don't like it but it makes sense. It's the way the game is now.

See I don't think penalties should get worse. Happens it again, 1 game. Again, another 1 game and so on. Still looks like a good hit to me. McCoy, clearly was about to run the ball. Impossible for Harrison to pull out of that.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]See I don't think penalties should get worse. Happens it again, 1 game. Again, another 1 game and so on. Still looks like a good hit to me. McCoy, clearly was about to run the ball. Impossible for Harrison to pull out of that.

I understand what you mean but I think you don't realize we have to seperate the fact we think it was a good hit. Without looking at the hit and just knowing the league found it to be illegal he has to be penalized as if it was an undisputable dirty hit.

The thing is these start off as fines. Then the fine increases...then it increases again...then you're suspended a game. I think you have to keep increasing because obviously if he does it again, nothing came of the previous suspension. Add to that the more games he's suspended the less chances during a season he has to cause an injury via illegal hit. If he can't change you give him less of an opportunity to play illegally within your sport.

Again I'm STRICTLY trying to look at this from a league's perspective. They're focus is supposedly on protecting players with these penalties.

I think if he had wrapped up instead of just trying to level him there wouldnt have been a suspension. Im over the protection on Qbs like Tulloch getting the PF for his block last week. The guy was chasing the play to be in position to make a tackle. Its just gotten to the point some teams cant even touch the Qb. I still want an explanation from thanksgiving when KVB got a flag but Clay Matthews didnt. It was the same hit and if anything KVBs was more legal since he made contact before the ball was gone. Its just bull crap.

motown1958 said:
I think if he had wrapped up instead of just trying to level him there wouldnt have been a suspension. Im over the protection on Qbs like Tulloch getting the PF for his block last week. The guy was chasing the play to be in position to make a tackle. Its just gotten to the point some teams cant even touch the Qb. I still want an explanation from thanksgiving when KVB got a flag but Clay Matthews didnt. It was the same hit and if anything KVBs was more legal since he made contact before the ball was gone. Its just bull crap.

No one wraps up anymore. Its either hit hard or try to knock the ball loose. No one tackles anymore.

motown1958 said:

Or when the Lions won because Joe Webb didn't get that facemask call.

Back