Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Gee's Michigan reminder

redandguilty

Few understand that better than 67-year-old E. Gordon Gee, who's been a university president for 31 years, longer than any other American. Gee's job is complicated and fascinating: One minute he's speaking with Ohio governor John Kasich, the next he's appeasing angry faculty, the next he's welcoming freshmen. But two cards on Gee's office table, he says, "remind me what my business is on a day-to-day basis." Scribbled on one card: But for Gordon Gee, The Ohio State University would not have received its first $100,000,000 gift -- largest in school history.

The other reads:
Gordon,
Think about it ...
BEAT Michigan
(Not mimic Michigan)

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6843627/ohio-state-president-gordon-gee-recent-football-scandal

Also, I can't believe he gave this interview at this time:

In all, working with athletics was "easier than I thought," Gee says. Perhaps that's because he didn't meet monthly with the compliance office, normal procedure on other campuses, or because he softened his zero tolerance policy for rule breakers. He tried to create more oversight -- and protect himself -- by creating layers. He appointed a liaison to athletics so that, as he says, "It's not just the AD and the president responsible." Because of the changes, compliance staffers didn't feel they had the power to ask tough follow-up questions. And Tressel, who declined comment for this article, wasn't exactly forthcoming.

When the whole thing blew up this spring, Gee was still left holding the bag. "How would I know that players would sell memorabilia to a tattoo parlor?" he says. "No matter what procedures are in place, people can get around them." Yet he also admits he sent the signal that he didn't want to be bothered. "None of us want to hear bad news," he says. "We hear what we want to hear. It's not just about people being forthcoming. It's about us being receptive, and I start with myself."

I have to say, I do like the guy's popcorn!

orville.jpg

I've always thought that E. Gordon Gee was missing a"k" at the end of his last name. He's such an nerd.

it hasn't been all roses for him. They HATED Gee at Brown:
http://blogdailyherald.com/2011/04/15/celebrating-the-fifth-anniversary-of-the-e-gordon-gee-lavatory-complex/

And Red, what you just described sounds like a text book example of how to break rules while avoiding all responsibility. Create multiple layers of reporting, with no clear path for reporting up the chain. The oversight system is in place to keep up appearances, but is useless in practice. if they did that intentionally, it's pretty brilliant...

Think about it; all Tressel had to do was suspend Pryor & the rest of the Tattoo boys for one (1) single lousy game LY, and they could've avoided all this.

We should be thankful they got so sloppy that they couldn't even do the bare minimum to keep the NCAA's already pathetic level of scrutiny off their backs...

Back