Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

How about Jimmy Howard..

biggunsbob

After tonight 4-1 win at Pittsburgh he is 17-6- and 1 OTL. His goal against average is at a fantastic 1.85 goals per game. In 22 of his last 25 starts he has allowed 2 goals or less.

Double WOW!! Go Wings..

He was patient and the Wings brought him along slowly, but he has shown signs of being a top 5 goalie and now he looks like he's putting it all together. If he can play like he's been in the playoffs maybe we have another Cup run in us after all.

johnny2x2x said:
He was patient and the Wings brought him along slowly, but he has shown signs of being a top 5 goalie and now he looks like he's putting it all together. If he can play like he's been in the playoffs maybe we have another Cup run in us after all.

I think and hope you are right...Wings look tough and have money to play with at the trade deadline this year...A sniper of some sort would be nice.. Or maybe a another big defensman for the grind of the playoffs..

Been really impressed with him this season, hope we don't see a slump anytime soon.

Howard has been fantastic so far this year. He seems over his sophomore slump and is really making the defense look good. That said, I think his resurgence is helped by the fact that the team, as a whole, has been stronger in their own zone. We aren't giving away the puck as often nor allowing the team to control the puck as long. Howard has still been absolutely huge in cleaning up the mistakes, but it helps a lot that those mistakes are fewer and further between.

Yes i agree the defense has been so much better this year. That said I know you should ride a horse while they are hot but shouldn't we rest him some so he does not get burned out..

Is there much evidence suggesting that Goalies need more rest? I can understand taking him off a back to back or getting rest in the middle of numerous games in short number of days, but I don't think our current schedule is too taxing. Most of the time we have multiple days between games, more than enough rest.

Martin Brodeur played a ton of games and he seemed to do pretty well for a long time.

Howard scares me when he plays the puck. I think he should freeze the puck more than he does, but he's had a fantastic year so far. Of course, in this town, the goalie is judged in April-May-June.

JimRice said:
Howard scares me when he plays the puck. I think he should freeze the puck more than he does, but he's had a fantastic year so far. Of course, in this town, the goalie is judged in April-May-June.

True. And Jimmy has played well in the playoffs the last two years. He certainly wasn't the reason for our losses to the Sharks. If the Wings can add a top 6 forward at the deadline they will be formidable in the playoffs. Of course, that is easier said than done. What would they have to give up to get a sniper?

I'm sure Holland will not want to give up Nyquist or Smith for a short term player. We could have got some good years out of Fleischmann (traded for R. Lang) and Leino. I didn't know until now that one of the picks we traded for Robert Lang became Mike Green. He may be a crap defender, but he would be great to have on the power play. Some time with Lidstrom couldn't hurt his defensive ability, either. Now I am even more depressed about the Robert Lang trade. :(

I still think it makes more sense to target a defender than a top 6 forward. Scoring goals is very rarely the Wings' problem. The bigger problem the last couple years has been an inability to get the puck back in their own zone or cut down on quality shots by the opponent. We've been much better this year (in large part due to Howard playing so much more consistently), but the playoffs are another animal altogether. I would rather have Weber/Suter than Parise/Ryan, assuming any are even on the market.

tsbilly said:
JimRice said:

True. And Jimmy has played well in the playoffs the last two years. He certainly wasn't the reason for our losses to the Sharks. If the Wings can add a top 6 forward at the deadline they will be formidable in the playoffs. Of course, that is easier said than done. What would they have to give up to get a sniper?

I'm sure Holland will not want to give up Nyquist or Smith for a short term player. We could have got some good years out of Fleischmann (traded for R. Lang) and Leino. I didn't know until now that one of the picks we traded for Robert Lang became Mike Green. He may be a crap defender, but he would be great to have on the power play. Some time with Lidstrom couldn't hurt his defensive ability, either. Now I am even more depressed about the Robert Lang trade. :(

Mike Green looks bad now. I think he's had some injuries that have really affected his ability. I don't see him as a legit trade option.

The Lang trade wasn't that bad. Probably one they wouldn't make in hindsight, though. I've seen worse.

I think Leino was a one year wonder. He had that great playoff in Philly after a very good regular season. But he now looks like the player the Wings gave up on this year in Buffalo. I don't think he's anything special.

I think the Wings could use a top six guy AND a defenseman. I agree that Howard wasn't the reason the team was bounced in second round. I don't think the Wings are as good as Chicago or SJ (based on the last two years) and possibly Vancouver. I don't know what they can do, but I hope Smith and Nyquist are not traded.

If Filpula continues to score at the pace he had been currently( Finally living up to his immense potential!) I honestly don't know if the Wings will make any major trades at the deadline. With Z, Dats, Franzen and Filp playing like all stars (throw in Hudler and Cleary playing very solid) the Wings have a very balanced offense. I could see them adding a solid veteran D-man or Forward, but none of the top prospects will be traded IMO.

Instead I see them rolling the dice with their current team (If they are in the top 2 in the Western Conf. and everyone is healthy) for one more playoff push.

This off season they will have a TON of cap space - its almost guaranteed that Holland signs one or two big time players. If the wings bomb out of the playoffs again I could see him making a blockbuster trade as well.

Howard got run over again last night. Looks like he lost his temper on one of the Canucks. This seems to be a recurring theme, and if Howard really is the MVP, it might be time for the Wings to suck it up and get some kind of deterrent. I wonder what kind of shape Joey Kocur is in.

I know why Jimmy is bitchin. Homer stands outside the crease, and the goalie "doesn't have room to make the save," and they wave off a goal. Howard gets steamrolled into the net, they put in the rebound, and the goal stands.

Back