Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT: Sprained Foot

G

Man, this hurts more than it seems like it should!

Stupid foot .... :'(

I have an elbow and a shoulder that have been bothering me for weeks. Gettin old.....

Yeah, pretty much. Seemed like a nagging thing and then I wake up Saturday morning and can barely flex it at all ---puffed up, stiff, sore [that's what she said!]

Worst part is no running ....and not much fun even walking. Can't do much but ice, elevate and stay off it.

Yeah, mine aren't too bad because I can still do everything I want, it's just a little painful swinging the bat in softball.

Any idea how it happened?

Running. All seemed to start with a new pair of running shoes. Sort of "turf toe" for a while and then last week in CALI I went hard [nice benefit of training at altitude] and seemed to exacerbate it.

Saturday morning, I can hardly bend it.

Ahh yeah, new shoes could do it. My wife's an avid runner so I've learned a little bit about shoes, and if you don't get just the right fit, especially if you go to a lighter shoe with less support, you can get in trouble.

Re: altitude...I was visiting my step-brother in denver the summer before my senior year, and I was in pretty decent shape from our offseason football workouts so I decided to test the whole altitude thing by sprinting the steps at the Red Rocks Ampitheater when we were visiting it. Not a good idea.

I can empathize

I fell last week due to the bad ankle -still limpong and majir flashback to the break

also, I ALWAYS err on the side of too much padding in shoes. I think everyone who is over the age of 21 and not earning their livelihood as a competitive runner should.

a little less weight + more speed is not worth the added stress on your feet & joints.

clunkier New Balances or Nikes are what I usually go with. The Nike Pegasus was a good shoe in this regard, but the stopped making it a few years ago. I think they eventually created a similar shoe, but it's called something else.

I have Salomon XT Wings which replaced an older pair I had and I loved them. But this new pair needed some breaking in.

It's sprained right big toe but now my entire foot is sore across the balls of my feet and I still can't really bend it without discomfort.

And @ML ...yeah, walking while compensating for my right foot, I damn near rolled my left ankle walking in to the office this morning.

Damn, I'm falling apart!

Where i would normally have kept balance i went straight flat to the ground retwistIng the weak one and stomach went to throat as i went down

Been really limited in walking this past week

I've sprained both my ankles at least 10 times each. And let's just say I didn't always heal them right. Id ice them but only about a or two and I would go out and play more basketball. Now my ankles look like they're baseballs

Foot feeling a bit better this morning ...finally started taking ibuprofen consistently. I don't typically like pills, but it's definitely helping and my ankles/knees are pretty beat up too, from years of skateboarding and snowboarding.

you have to do that, along with ice. The inflammation usually makes it worse, or causes problems in itself; anti-inflammatories are key.

MichChamp02 said:
you have to do that, along with ice. The inflammation usually makes it worse, or causes problems in itself; anti-inflammatories are key.

Probably the only time I will ever say this, but I agree 100% with MC.

And will add, after icing to reduce inflammation, use heat to increase blood flow to the injury. I have peroneal insertional tendonitis and it has helped immensely.

so... while I wait for my pizza to cool, I got out my copy of the "Runner's Repair Manual" and looked up pain in that spot.

There are a couple possibilities for pain along the metatarsal heads like you described. All of them are due to bruising/damage to the metatarsal heads. This is either due to doing excessive hill work (putting more stress on the front of the foot), or from weight being distributed improperly on your foot, which could be the case from your new shoes.

both call for ice and anti-inflammtory treatment. you can try to add some padding to your shoes, the general rule is, immediately behind the areas that hurt. or go back to your old shoes.

I like the zigtech shoes for running. And at wal mart you can see where you put the most pressure and will match you up with the right kind of foot cushion. I put most of my weight on the front of my feet. They might help you.

I use to wear my new shoes around the house to break em in some. I actually got a pair of nike skating shoes, I hate skaters but these are so comfortable. My uncle, who's about west virginianish you can get use to make fun of me all the time for wearing them. Then he wore them to go outside for a minute and said he understood now.

My old school Caballeros are probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned -- skaters are good at making comfortable shoes and still long-boarding myself, have a few pairs of Vans and a pair of Globes.

And thanks, MC -- day by day it's a bit better and the ice/ibuprofen has been helping. Wasn't sure about the heat GBiA but will give that a shot. The Mrs offered to make up a footbath the other night but I didn't take her up on it.

The ice pack is the best, though .... in the recliner, not all that bad!

bigvic said:
My old school Caballeros are probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned -- skaters are good at making comfortable shoes and still long-boarding myself, have a few pairs of Vans and a pair of Globes.

And thanks, MC -- day by day it's a bit better and the ice/ibuprofen has been helping. Wasn't sure about the heat GBiA but will give that a shot. The Mrs offered to make up a footbath the other night but I didn't take her up on it.

The ice pack is the best, though .... in the recliner, not all that bad!

Back when I was in high school in the mid 1800's, they said it was best to ice, then heat, then ice, then heat. When i hurt my foot I was SURE that they had come up with a new and improved way of treating injuries, but when I looked into it, I found the same advice. There are some new-fangled things like TENS and ultasound treatments, but for the run of the mill injury the tried and true works.

Back