Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. indians Game Thread August 9

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Not a bad lineup, Kelly batting 9th like he should, and Dirks getting more time.

Probably our best defensive team as well.

But IMO the whole series, and season possibly, hinges on if Cabrera can start playing like our MVP again.

We need Miggy to be big this series.

Thumb, what's your thoughts on Dirks batting third?

Also, Masterson vs Righthanded hitters .181 .263 .225 .487, just one HR. in 249 AB....
Masterson vs Lefthanded hitters is .285 .327 .392 .719.

Ugh. The "sub gets placed in the same spot in the order as the regular" thing gets me every time. I'm sure it could work out, but why not flip flop Dirks and Boesch? Or Maggs and Boesch for that matter.

Ftr, Boesch's numbers in the 3 hole...

.339avg, .955ops, 11hr, 32rbi, in 186ab.

batting 2nd

.212, .639, 4hr, 12rbi, in 113ab

I know his numbers probably have much more to do with when he was batting 3rd vs 2nd, given how streaky he is, but still.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]Thumb, what's your thoughts on Dirks batting third?

Also, Masterson vs Righthanded hitters .181 .263 .225 .487, just one HR. in 249 AB....

Well the only thing I see as alternative is to switch him and Boesch, because I think Jim does not want to mess with the 6-7-8 order he has going with Peralta, Guillen, and Avila.

Or, Bat Dirks lead off (please!) and Kelly 2, Boesch 3. Drop Kjax to the 9th spot. Swap Avila and Peralta.

Since lefties are much better vs. Masterbatorson.

Where have you gone Wilson Betemit, our city turns its lonely eyes to you...

what's that you say Mrs. Leyland, Wilson B has been banished away...hey hey hey

My lineup would be:

1 Dirks - LF
2 Kelly - 3b
3 Boesch - RF
4 Cabrera - 1b
5 Martinez - DH
6 Avila - C
7 Guillen - 2b
8 Peralta - SS
9 Jackson - CF

Switching Dirks and Boesch positions though I have not seen the Tribe's lineup so I don't know how lefty loaded they might be tonight, if they are keep Boesch in LF and Dirks in RF.

tycobb420 said:

I was asking myself that too, but Kelly has pretty good numbers vs. Masterson.

I thought we were getting an every day 3rd baseman in Betemit, when he's played he's performed like one, but I guess maybe he needs his rest?

It must be because Kelly has decent numbers verses Masterson and WB has been striking out a lot as of late.. I like Dirks in the line-up verses the RHP but not sure the 3 hole is where i would put him

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]It must be because Kelly has decent numbers verses Masterson and WB has been striking out a lot as of late.. I like Dirks in the line-up verses the RHP but not sure the 3 hole is where i would put him

Betemit also = Raburn on defense.

That might have something to do with it as well.

tycobb420 said:

Well, this might be the 10th time I've said this.

WILSON BETEMIT was NOT picked to be a STARTER. He was traded for to end the Brandon Inge era.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]Thumb, what's your thoughts on Dirks batting third?

Dirks is the man! Lead him off. Put Avila or Peralta 3rd. Jackson or Guillen in the 9 hole. Post stare down guillen has been shit.

johnny2x2x said:
I thought we were getting an every day 3rd baseman in Betemit, when he's played he's performed like one, but I guess maybe he needs his rest?

Masterson vs.
RH batter .181 and .487 OPS
LH batter .285 and .719 OPS

tomdalton22 said:
johnny2x2x said:

Masterson vs.

Betemit batting left:
.303 .369 .461 .830 with 26 of his 32 RBIs.

Hi guys, Time to get into it. 48 games to go.

As expected, Victor Martinez is back in the lineup for the Tigers, who again will stack left-handed hitters against Justin Masterson
(.285 average allowed to lefty hitters, .181 average allowed to righties).
The only right-handed hitters facing him tonight are
Austin Jackson (5-for-12 vs. Masterson),
Miguel Cabrera (5-for-12, 5 RBIs)
and Jhonny Peralta (0-for-6).

The Indians, in turn, will have only one right-handed batter, Matt LaPorta, against Doug Fister. His lefty-righty splits aren

johnny2x2x said:
tomdalton22 said:
Masterson vs.

Betemit batting left:
.303 .369 .461 .830 with 26 of his 32 RBIs.

Betemit vs. Masterson: .167 .286 .167 .452

Kelly vs. Masterson: .455 .455 .545 1.000

Plus Kelly much better defensively.

Back