Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mattison presser today

Very refreshing rebuke of the "We will blitz the fuck out of you!!!" mantra that most incoming DC's have...

"I can't say right now that we're a blitz team, I can't say that we're going to be a coverage team, the only thing I can say is we're going to play with unbelievable effort," he said. "The thing I hope we can say after this camp is over with is this team is going to play with great technique."

DR said:
Very refreshing rebuke of the "We will blitz the fuck out of you!!!" mantra that most incoming DC's have...

"I can't say right now that we're a blitz team, I can't say that we're going to be a coverage team, the only thing I can say is we're going to play with unbelievable effort," he said. "The thing I hope we can say after this camp is over with is this team is going to play with great technique."

Yeah, I especially love it when they have that "we're going to blitz a lot" attitude and then all I see are 3 man rushes...

Thanks for posting!

I really like what he said about the LBs being improved. They will be huge in stopping those beefy RB's in the B10 this season.

Very anxious to see how the unit looks as a whole against ND. That will be a nice test.

Last year at Baltimore, Mattison didn't call blitzes as much early on b/c the Ravens' secondary had so many holes and questions marks. During their game at the Steelers early in the season when Roethlisberger was out, they called them a lot more, and that was one of the talking points during the game. You have to think Mattison is going to have the same concerns and likely take the same position with this UM secondary.

What's nice though about a 4 man front vs. a 3 man is that you don't HAVE to blitz. In a 3-4 or 3-3-5, you call have to call blitzes to bring that 4th rusher (unless you're Greg Robinson) which is why 3-4 defenses in the NFL lead in percentage of blitzing plays. In a 4 man front, you can play a Cover 2 behind it, and unleash your DE's to get to the QB. If Roh didn't lose speed as he bulked up, he could be an every down DE. With Van Bergen who's not as good a pass rusher and Jibreel Black who struggled to stop the run, you can mix and match. On 2nd and 2, RVB mans that end, and on 2nd and 9, you can sub in Black.

myczk1aj said:
Thanks for posting!

I really like what he said about the LBs being improved. They will be huge in stopping those beefy RB's in the B10 this season.

Very anxious to see how the unit looks as a whole against ND. That will be a nice test.

ND will be a nice test, though a different one. With their no huddle spread, our LBs will be playing a different style than against Wisconsin or Iowa.

Not to morph this thread into a "make your own depth chart" but at LB, what are the starting 3 going to look like? Barring injury, I don't see how anyone but Demens starts at MLB. Nice battles going to emerge between Evans, Cam Gordon, Ryan, Herron, Fitzgerald, Bell, and Jones.

And did Cam Gordon really beef up to 222 pounds, as listed?! If so, DANG! What was he listed at last year, 203 or something?

Yeah, I'm very interested to see how Roh does.

I don't think RVB will be subbed out that much though. Maybe on third and longs, but not 2nd down. He's not that bad of a pass rusher, and with his inside position you don't want to bring in Black and have him get bowled over for an easy 6 yard run.

DR said:

I don't think RVB will be subbed out that much though. Maybe on third and longs, but not 2nd down. He's not that bad of a pass rusher, and with his inside position you don't want to bring in Black and have him get bowled over for an easy 6 yard run.

That brings up an interesting question...What's the bigger weakness, RVB's pass rushing or Black's run stopping?

I guess one more thing to look for in the opener is when the DEs are in the game and subbed out. Does RVB only come out on 3rd and long when we go dime? Does he stay in on 2nd and long if we bring in a nickle back? Going to be a fun day on Sept. 3!

bamf16 said:
DR said:

That brings up an interesting question...What's the bigger weakness, RVB's pass rushing or Black's run stopping?

I guess one more thing to look for in the opener is when the DEs are in the game and subbed out. Does RVB only come out on 3rd and long when we go dime? Does he stay in on 2nd and long if we bring in a nickle back? Going to be a fun day on Sept. 3!

To this point I think it's a clear answer, Black's run stopping, but he obviously has more room for improvement. That said, 5 sacks in his so. and jr. seasons isn't too shabby for RVB. Especially considering the number of 3-man lines with no blitzers to distract the o-line UM went with last year.

Mattison's follow up comment to the one I pasted earlier shows that the substitution patterns could go either way...
"I know what I want to be. I want to be a team that nobody can run the football on. And I want a defense that is aggressive that makes that quarterback nervous in a passing situation."...but I think especially early on they'll choose to protect against the run.

You're right, 5 sacks is not a bad number. But 2 of them were against Bowling Green and 1 against Purdue.

Western Michigan and Notre Dame run 2 very different offenses. Do you think RVB plays the same percentage of plays against both teams?

I'd like to think that against WMU, it won't matter a whole lot one vs. the other. But ND might require some scheming. If it's me, and I'm not blitzing as much b/c of the secondary, I might look at getting the better pass rushing DEs some time and hope they can get some pressure. If RVB does progress as a pass rusher, that's an awesome situation to have 2 DEs who can both stop the run and get pressure on the QB.

bamf16 said:
You're right, 5 sacks is not a bad number. But 2 of them were against Bowling Green and 1 against Purdue.

Western Michigan and Notre Dame run 2 very different offenses. Do you think RVB plays the same percentage of plays against both teams?

I'd like to think that against WMU, it won't matter a whole lot one vs. the other. But ND might require some scheming. If it's me, and I'm not blitzing as much b/c of the secondary, I might look at getting the better pass rushing DEs some time and hope they can get some pressure. If RVB does progress as a pass rusher, that's an awesome situation to have 2 DEs who can both stop the run and get pressure on the QB.

And the other two were against OSU and MSU, with three other tfl's thrown in the mix. This part seems like a futile exercise.

I agree about the ND game. There will definitely be an emphasis on getting pass rush with the down 4. Maybe Black will get his first career sack in that game ;)

I do think Black has plenty of potential though. There were several times last year when he was just about to get the corner, or even did, but just lacked one iota of strength and/or speed to finish the play. Hopefully that'll come now that he's had a full offseason with the team.

"I know in my heart what's about to happen here. We're going to have a Michigan football program that Bo, Coach Moeller & Coach Carr are going to be proud of again." - Coach Mattison

Hungry said:
"I know in my heart what's about to happen here. We're going to have a Michigan football program that Bo, Coach Moeller & Coach Carr are going to be proud of again." - Coach Mattison

We'll have to check with abcd down the road to see if Bo really does end up being proud of them.

DR said:
Hungry said:

We'll have to check with abcd down the road to see if Bo really does end up being proud of them.

Screw what Bo thinks ....I want to know where Mike DeBord fits in to the grand scheme of things!

DR said:
Hungry said:

LOL

bigvic said:
DR said:

Screw what Bo thinks ....I want to know where Mike DeBord fits in to the grand scheme of things!

Mike Debord has no respect for anything Mattison says, since he whipped him so easily while Greg was at ND and UF.

Ahh yes, indeed .........

G-Matt v DeBord --- <marquee>CLASH of the T-I-T-A-N-S !!!!!</marquee>

Back