Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

First day of Winter

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Winter Solstice and here in the Boston suburbs we have yet to have any snow. Even back around Thanksgiving we had less than an inch, 30 minutes to the southwest of me, near the pats football stadium, they had well over a foot and lost power for several days. Last year we had already 3 storms of 6 to 9 inches or over a foot. This won't last, but it is welcome.
So many of us Detroit Sports Team fans living in Detroit and Michigan, as well as around the USA and Canada. I was wondering how all of you are dealing with any snow storms of significance?
All of you in the warmer southern states, please feel free to tell us about your 70 degree or warmer temps too.

Hit 60 today in Lancaster, PA, KC. Supposed to be in the mid to high 50's tomorrow. Had about three inches of snow on Halloween which was early for us, but now it's eerily warm...

Maize&Cheese304 said:
Global Warming!!! It'll snow a record breaking amount in Jan or something lol

I hope so Cheesy...I like the cold and like the snow. Unfortunately the older I get Lancaster's winter's seem to get shorter and warmer. We used to get a few decent snows every year, but now we're more likely to get freezing rain which you can't do a bloody thing in...except hurt yourself...

Maize&Cheese304 said:
Global Warming!!! It'll snow a record breaking amount in Jan or something lol

Once we got to December 1st, the weatherman I watch was saying that the November we had was about 7/8 degrees warmer than average for the month since record keeping. and also said that for the following months of Dec. and January 75% of the time those months are warmer and with less snow.
Hope it is true.

Not bad today, got the mail without a jacket -- wasn't even cold.

elrod said:
Hit 60 today in Lancaster, PA, KC. Supposed to be in the mid to high 50's tomorrow. Had about three inches of snow on Halloween which was early for us, but now it's eerily warm...

After 38 years of delivering mail in the snow didn't bother me even those last few years. You do what you gotta do. Past 5 since being retired, you get used to a different daily routine in the winter so I like it less. I know we will get plenty in the next few weeks, so for me I just wait for the last day of January.
Must be psychological, once we get to February 1st, I feel better snow or not, days get longer, pitchers and catchers report to ST.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
elrod said:

After 38 years of delivering mail in the snow didn't bother me even those last few years. You do what you gotta do. Past 5 since being retired, you get used to a different daily routine in the winter so I like it less. I know we will get plenty in the next few weeks, so for me I just wait for the last day of January.
Must be psychological, once we get to February 1st, I feel better snow or not, days get longer, pitchers and catchers report to ST.

Hahaha...as our resident Tigers guru, I'm quite certain that pitchers and catchers reporting warms you right up no matter the weather.

Just an absolutely amazing months of November and December for winter. There has been No snow unless I count a 1/2 inch of slush from a month ago. I can't remember a single winter like this. The forecast for the next few days through 2011 and into the New Year calls for temps around 50 degrees. Even in winters past with no snow on the ground at this late date, there had already been a couple of snow storms with total snow fall between 1 and 2 feet. Not complaining, I hope it keeps up, and hope everyone else where ever you live do not have bad weather to deal with.

it was pouring rain here today.

Supposed to finally get cold & snow on Monday.

Im actually scared about January. The storms in that month have been getting worse and worse the past few years. Much of it and the crazy weather the past 1-2 years is because the Earth is getting closer to the Sun. Naturally occurring phenomena.

The last winter that I can remember being as mild and relatively snowless for the first quarter so far, in SE MI, was in 1982, when it was partly cloudy and 65 degrees on Christmas Day.

Still plenty of winter to go, and I still also remember when it snowed quite late in the early half of springtime, with an inch or two accumulation overnight and it was quite cold, as well b/c it was the first, (but was not to be the last) time when I had been hospitalized overnight, on April 27-28, 2004.

Could be much worse though, like for example, living in Yellowknife, NWT, Canada, (the largest "city" in northern Canada) where the days are quite short in the winter, being ~4-7 hours long, and more often than not, being double-digits below zero F for weeks at a time...brrr!!

The former actress Margot Kidder, was born and lived in Yellowknife as a child, she is most well-known for her role as Lois Lane in the first several Superman movies (RIP Christopher Reeve)

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html?nt-24&unit=i

Today was 50 degrees and sunny. Felt like April 7, not January 7.
Weather forecast calls for 40's into next weekend when we are expected to get colder temps and snow for the rest of the month. How they can forecast that far into the future (2 to 3 weeks idk). Also said something about jet streams will start hitting were I live more spot on than going north of us to NH, Vermont, and Maine.
Doug, iirc you posted about Yellowknife last winter when I did the same thread at espn...Brrrrrr.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]Today was 50 degrees and sunny. Felt like April 7, not January 7.
Weather forecast calls for 40's into next weekend when we are expected to get colder temps and snow for the rest of the month. How they can forecast that far into the future (2 to 3 weeks idk). Also said something about jet streams will start hitting were I live more spot on than going north of us to NH, Vermont, and Maine.
Doug, iirc you posted about Yellowknife last winter when I did the same thread at espn...Brrrrrr.

For some odd reason Ron, it just fascinates me that there still are tens of thousands of people (who aren't all Eskimos or who are still living in igloos..lol) who can somehow eke out a living in what are the most desolate, forbiddingly remote, and extremely hostile weather, (temperature and climate-wise) areas, mostly located above the Arctic Circle of North America. Nearby the Richardson Mountains, the Yukon and NWT's Dempster Highway, and further east being Nunavut, in the extreme northern part of Canada, the air temperature in winter, often plunges to ~60 below F, or more, and during the occasional blizzards there, the gusty wind speeds can reach if not exceed 80-100 KPH!!

shocked.gif

The "wind-chills" during those blizzards must be very near -100 below zero F. I would love to be able to travel to that region before I pass on, and stay while taking in its scenic areas and natural beauty for say, a month or so, including the Klondike region and the famous late 19th century gold and now diamond-rush city of Yellowknife, NWT and the roughneck gold-miner town of Dawson in the Yukon but only during their brief summertime and/or fall, of course...heh!!

They also enjoy 4 "seasons" of weather, and despite man-caused global warming and climate-change beginning to show negative ecological effects upon that region, for example it is now known that foraging Polar bears who are being forced off their natural habitat of shrinking, melting, and vanishing ice floes and the nearby shores of the Arctic Ocean, are traveling much further inland, far away from the ocean, and sometimes are successfully mating with Grizzly bears in the wild, the female Grizzly or Polar bear producing hybrid offspring, being nicknamed "Grolar" bears, but for now, the three seasons still being mostly limited to only the months of June (spring) July (summer) and August (fall)...yikes!!

:)

Richardson Mountains and the Dempster Highway:

220px-Dempsterhighway.jpg

Turok said:
[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]Today was 50 degrees and sunny. Felt like April 7, not January 7.

For some odd reason Ron, it just fascinates me that there still are tens of thousands of people (who aren't all Eskimos or who are still living in igloos..lol) who can somehow eke out a living in what are the most desolate, forbiddingly remote, and extremely hostile weather, (temperature and climate-wise) areas, mostly located above the Arctic Circle of North America. Nearby the Richardson Mountains, the Yukon and NWT's Dempster Highway, and further east being Nunavut, in the extreme northern part of Canada, the air temperature in winter, often plunges to ~60 below F, or more, and during the occasional blizzards there, the gusty wind speeds can reach if not exceed 80-100 KPH!!

shocked.gif

The "wind-chills" during those blizzards must be very near -100 below zero F. I would love to be able to travel to that region before I pass on, and stay while taking in its scenic areas and natural beauty for say, a month or so, including the Klondike region and the famous late 19th century gold and now diamond-rush city of Yellowknife, NWT and the roughneck gold-miner town of Dawson in the Yukon but only during their brief summertime and/or fall, of course...heh!!

They also enjoy 4 "seasons" of weather, and despite man-caused global warming and climate-change beginning to show negative ecological effects upon that region, for example it is now known that foraging Polar bears who are being forced off their natural habitat of shrinking, melting, and vanishing ice floes and the nearby shores of the Arctic Ocean, are traveling much further inland, far away from the ocean, and sometimes are successfully mating with Grizzly bears in the wild, the female Grizzly or Polar bear producing hybrid offspring, being nicknamed "Grolar" bears, but for now, the three seasons still being mostly limited to only the months of June (spring) July (summer) and August (fall)...yikes!!

Richardson Mountains and the Dempster Highway:

220px-Dempsterhighway.jpg

Nunavut....that was the other place now that you posted it...Brrrrrr.
If I were to go, it would be in the middle of July...heh.

This Monday, less than an inch, today raining hard non stop, another snow storm that western part of the state and upper new england gets snow. Looks like Michigan and mid west are getting hit past day or two. That is coming east and forecast again, we are not expected to get snow over the weekend. amazing winter so far, a half a foot back around halloween first of november and just an inch or two since.

Where I live In Michigan it feels like spring. We've had some nice weather.

Thursday night got 3/4 inches of snow.
Warm enough today/friday that it was all gone from roads, steps, walkways.
Saturday all day expecting about a half foot but not heavy snow more like fluff.
Before this week, the total snowfall from October 1 to Jan.16 was just 1.5 inches.

We finally got enough snow here in my area of SE MI overnight to cover over the grass for the first time this winter. It being this late in January (21st) is pretty amazing...not that I am complaining...lol.

Of course there are still almost 3 months left that it can and has snowed here, and some of the heaviest accumulations have occurred in mid-March through mid-April, almost a foot and a half fell over a two day period, in an early April snowstorm, back in the late 60s, IIRC. But so far, so good...keeping my fingers crossed that we do not get socked in here with a nasty blizzard snowstorm as a result of having so very little thus far.

???

Back