Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sergei Fedorov

JimRice said:
He was an underrated playoff performer.

From the article...He holds the NHL record for most goals and points by a Russian-born player, and he

manchild98 said:
[quote="JimRice":tcjl4ioh]He was an underrated playoff performer.

From the article...He holds the NHL record for most goals and points by a Russian-born player, and he

Those teams were all so loaded with talent it wasn't even funny. Shanahan was huge in the playoffs too, as was slava Kozlov and Larionov. Sergei was a once in a generation talent for sure but I still think he could have done more, with his talent he should have out up 100 points ever year.

He could be lackluster during the season no doubt but was huge when the playoffs started.

Fedorov could have put up much better stats than he had during the regular season in his NHL career with the Red Wings, IMO. He seemed to be a bit lazy and lackadaisical on occasion.

Lets not forget Konstantinov's kontributions to the Red Wings as well, being an elite defenseman to assist in the franchise's finally winning their first of many Cups in '97, after a 42 year drought.

We will never know if he might have helped their teams perhaps pull off a three-peat, (the Wings w/o Vladdy managed to win the Stanley Cup the following season in '98 but ended up losing the Western Conference Semifinals to Colorado in six games in '99), if not a couple more during his tragically shortened NHL career. :(

Vladdy was a very formidable beast around the Red Wings' side of the blue-line, and certainly was no slouch at scoring when he had the puck.

BelievePatch.jpg

I still have my Fedorov and Konstantinov jerseys somewhere... hell, I remember as a kid trying to find Fedorov in the phone book (lol) to call him.

Gosh those were exciting hockey days. Any time the Red Wings were down I would go shoot a puck outside hoping the Wings would score because I did. I was also fully convinced this worked back in 97 and 98.

20 points or more in four straight playoffs?? Insanity.

Also, to the comment made about him being lazy and that's why his numbers weren't as gaudy in the regular season, I'd attribute that to his willingness to sacrifice offensive numbers in order to contribute on defense as well, a la Datsyuk.

sggatecl said:

Also, to the comment made about him being lazy and that's why his numbers weren't as gaudy in the regular season, I'd attribute that to his willingness to sacrifice offensive numbers in order to contribute on defense as well, a la Datsyuk.

No, he was flat out lazy at times.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
sggatecl said:

No, he was flat out lazy at times.

I think he was always a little resentful of the fact that no matter how great he was, he would never achieve the same level of love/respect that the Captain got.

Back