Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Wings front Runners to sign FA DeKeyser

tbone413

Sources say that the wings are close to signing undrafted Free agent Danny DeKesyster - a Sophmore Defenseman on the Western Michigan Broncos Hockey team.

I have seen this kid play a few times and I was shocked that he hadn't been drafted by someone..If the wings sign him he likely wouldn't see the NHL for at least 4 years but he has some potential and has really made some big strides this year under Andy Murray.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?name=custance_craig&id=7383417&_slug_=nhl-detroit-red-wings-hoping-sign-western-michigan-danny-dekeyser&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnhl%2fblog%3fname%3dcustance_craig%26id%3d7383417%26_slug_%3dnhl-detroit-red-wings-hoping-sign-western-michigan-danny-dekeyser

Does anyone have the rest of the article?

Did he go un-drafted? Is that why he is a free agent.. I never understood the NHL free-agent rules.. Thanks to anyone who explains it to me..

Yea he went undrafted last season and is now free to sign with whoever he wants. A lot of teams are now trying to get him since he has made huge strides this season but since he is from MI and plays for WMU the Wings are the favorites to sign him.

You can never have to many Defensemen in your prospect system- I am all for giving this Kid a chance - even though he is extremely raw

How many rounds do NHL have in the draft and if he's good why wasn't he signed? I've let my NHL knowledge slip over the years..

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]How many rounds do NHL have in the draft and if he's good why wasn't he signed? I've let my NHL knowledge slip over the years..

Mitch there are 7 rounds in the draft. I think the reason he didn't get drafted is that a lot of teams simply didn't scout him. The teams that did scout him thought he was too raw and would take too long to develop so they decided to pass.

This year he has come out of nowhere and has become one of the top Defensemen in the CCHL. His developement is directly related to the new coach Andy Murray's philosophy of having defensemen make smart plays and play sound defense rather than looking for the offensive play.

Thanks. Gives me another chance to stare at your big brested sig. :)

Back