Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Will any of these QBs ever start again?

specialteams

Jimmy Clausen
Joe Webb
John Skelton
Max Hall
Brian Brohm
Troy Smith
Matt Moore
Charlie Whitehurst
Kellen Clemens
Josh Johnson
Matt Flynn
Caleb Hanie
Jamarcus Russell
Brady Quinn
Matt Leinart
Vince Young
John Beck

I'd say John Beck has a slim chance to salvage his career in Washington, as does Moore in Washington. I think that Young, Quinn, and Leinart can prove to be adequate backups and proivde trade value for the future. However, the rest are pretty much doomed, with the exception of Flynn and perhaps Hanie..

I think Clausen will by default. Hanie will because Cutler will get smacked around. And Young will because Vick wont survive an entire year with the way he plays.

The funny part is Orlovsky could be starting for the Colts if Peyton isnt ready.

Matt Flynn will get a starting shot eventually. Some team will likely go after him in a trade.

I watched a lot of college tape on Skelton and he looks like he could be good given some time to study and a good system to play in. Not to many people could have succeeded in AZ last year, let alone a rookie. I'm not sure he'll ever be a starter or not but from what I saw he looked like a solid prospect at least.

to answer the question I think IF VY gets his personal life in order he could get a shot somewhere, I also think Flynn, Quinn and Clausen will get a shot somewhere even if its just a 1 year thing. Also Whitehurst could be a starter this year if Tavaris sucks D.

I think Vince Young has a very good chance to start. We all know scrambling QBs like Vick get hurt all the time. Hopefully Andy and MM help him to become a better QB.

biglou said:
I think Vince Young has a very good chance to start. We all know scrambling QBs like Vick get hurt all the time. Hopefully Andy and MM help him to become a better QB.

I figured he meant picked up by a team to be the starter or starting on a team where he is the #1 guy, not because of injuries.

I expect flynn to be traded in a year or too. He seemed pretty solid agaisnt new england last year. Look at what philly got for kolb.

motown1958 said:
Man if Clausen has been named the starter cam newton must be sucking in camp.

Cam Newton has to learn how to run an NFL offense... and has a short pre season to do it

sunnydlitex123 said:
motown1958 said:
Man if Clausen has been named the starter cam newton must be sucking in camp.

Cam Newton has to learn how to run an NFL offense... and has a short pre season to do it

I get that but Clausen was as terrible as I have ever seen a year ago. I would take Newtons athleticism over Clausens "experience"

Clausen is a 2nd round pick with less than a year of NFL experience under center...I think he's a pussy but I dont think its fair to close the book on him because he couldnt do anything in Carolina last year. Maybe they know how bad they are, know how much people doubt Newton and dont wanna throw him to the wolves after a really short camp and watch him fall on his face shattering any confidence he has. I dont think it has anything to do with Cam's 2 weeks of practice.

Vince Young, John Beck(isnt he odds on favored to be starting in Wash?), Brady Quinn...

Beez said:
biglou said:

I figured he meant picked up by a team to be the starter or starting on a team where he is the #1 guy, not because of injuries.

Reread the names on the orginal post alot of those players started because of injuries and thats why VY probaly has one of the best chances to play because of one.

tsmith7559 said:
Vince Young, John Beck(isnt he odds on favored to be starting in Wash?), Brady Quinn...

Brady Quinn is brutal...except against the '09 Lions D.

Reports from camp are that Brady is outplaying Tebow...

and I really think Carolina may have f'ed themselves this year. There's a few plausible situations:

A) Start Cam Newton and watch him develop into an adequate QB. Trade Clausen or release him.
B) Start Jimmy Clausen and watch him develop into an adequate QB. Buy Cam Newton a $22 million clipboard
C) Start JC/CN, watch them suck, and then start CN/JC and watch them suck
D) Start Derek Anderson and watch him giggle on the sidelines when you're down 3 TDs on national television.
E) http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdow....urn=nfl-wp489 4

Back