Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

ESPN Power Ranking 2011

mhughes0021

RK (LW) TEAM REC COMMENT

1 (9) Packers 10-6 While other teams stockpiled free agents, the Packers stood pat. Are the defending champs still preseason favorites? (Walker)

2 (1) Patriots 14-2 Too bad "Hard Knocks" couldn't film the daily Albert Haynesworth-Chad Ochocinco show. (Clayton)

3 (7) Eagles 10-6 Only one thing will make this season a success -- winning the franchise's first Vince Lombardi Trophy. (Fox)

4 (5) Saints 11-5 Saints will find out whether Reggie Bush was an underrated contributor after all. (Sando)

5 (3) Steelers 12-4 With off-field distractions behind them, the reigning AFC champs are focused on getting back to the Super Bowl. (Walker)

6 (2) Falcons 13-3 Adding Ray Edwards quiets draft-day criticisms about ignoring pass rush. (Sando)

7 (8) Jets 11-5 So far, they have replaced Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery and Brad Smith with only Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason. (Clayton)

8 (10) Colts 10-6 Provided Peyton Manning is healthy, don't write off the Colts. They have healed up and even added outsiders. (Kuharsky)

9 (4) Ravens 12-4 The Ravens can go as far as fourth-year QB Joe Flacco is willing to take them. (Walker)

10 (14) Chargers 9-7 Every year looks promising, then they wind up short of expectations. It's time for Philip Rivers to be grouped with the elite. (Kuharsky)

11 (12) Giants 10-6 Missing the playoffs for a second consecutive year is not an option for Tom Coughlin. (Fox)

12 (13) Buccaneers 10-6 It starts with the quarterback, and Tampa Bay has a good one in Josh Freeman. (Sando)

13 (6) Bears 11-5 The loss of longtime center Olin Kreutz will hurt Chicago's running game. (Walker)

14 (11) Chiefs 10-6 Big breakthroughs are often followed by a step back. Can the Chiefs buck that trend? (Kuharsky)

15 (17) Rams 7-9 Sam Bradford, Josh McDaniels a compelling combination for the Rams. (Sando)

16 (18) Cowboys 6-10 It will be interesting to see Rob Ryan's effect on the Cowboys' defense. (Fox)

17 (21) Texans 6-10 Always a darling preseason pick. Could it be the year? Sure. Could it be another failure with people getting fired? Sure. (Kuharsky)

18 (24) Lions 6-10 The Lions have "sleeper" written all over them, but only if quarterback Matthew Stafford stays healthy. (Walker)

19 (19) Seahawks 7-9 Sidney Rice, Zach Miller give Seattle needed weapons in passing game. (Sando)

20 (20) Titans 6-10 Don't buy that they will be contenders for Andrew Luck. Mike Munchak will squeeze something out of the Titans. (Kuharsky)

21 (28) Cardinals 5-11 Kevin Kolb's arrival restores hope at quarterback, but time will tell whether Kolb's the answer. (Sando)

22 (16) Jaguars 8-8 Defense will be better for sure. The question is whether David Garrard can play with consistency. (Kuharsky)

23 (15) Raiders 8-8 The Raiders are on the rise if Jason Campbell can play consistently. You have to like Hue Jackson's energy. (Kuharsky)

24 (22) Dolphins 7-9 If the Dolphins can't get Brett Favre to challenge Chad Henne, maybe they can ask Dan Marino. (Clayton)

25 (23) Vikings 6-10 Minnesota actually got younger at quarterback by acquiring 34-year-old Donovan McNabb. (Walker)

26 (25) 49ers 6-10 Widespread changes on defense raise questions about 49ers' short-term prospects. (Sando)

27 (29) Broncos 4-12 I fear the first year of the John Fox regime will be a long, ugly one filled with Tim Tebow-related controversy. (Kuharsky)

28 (27) Browns 5-11 If QB Colt McCoy isn't the answer, it will be another long season in Cleveland. (Walker)

29 (26) Redskins 6-10 In a few more weeks, Mike Shanahan might wish he had kept Donovan McNabb. (Fox)

30 (32) Panthers 2-14 Carolina came out swinging in free agency, but future hinges on Cam Newton. (Sando)

31 (30) Bills 4-12 The Bills' offensive line can't afford an injury, but it would look better had it added Tyson Clabo. (Clayton)

32 (31) Bengals 4-12 The Bengals are moving on from the Carson Palmer-Chad Ochocinco era, but expect plenty of growing pains with young players. (Walker)

post season edition moves us up 6 spots. Good off season...lets get to the games already!

It really has been a long time since I have been this excited for a season to start.... Man I hate preseason...

Not to be a homer but I expected Dallas to be about 11. I think being behind the Giants, Bucs, and Rams is a bit of a joke. Not that the power ranking ever hold any water anyway.

Pre-season power rankings are about as useful as pre-season polls.

Yeah, and having the Packers above the Eagles is about brilliant. These power rankings are as useless as tits on a nun.

inkfreq said:
Yeah, and having the Packers above the Eagles is about brilliant. These power rankings are as useless as tits on a nun.
Eagles are somewhat overrated. Their linebacking core, dline, and offensive line are still pretty weak.

Although their defensive back depth is ridiculous.

scout said:
inkfreq said:
Eagles are somewhat overrated. Their linebacking core, dline, and offensive line are still pretty weak.

Although their defensive back depth is ridiculous.

How is their D-line weak? They still have a Top 5 DE in Cole, Babin, and they are getting back Graham later in the season. The loss of Patterson hurt their DT rotation, they still have Jenkins, Hargrove, etc. That offensive line has improved with the return of Jackson and they signed a solid guard in Evan Mathis.

Sorry amigo, I just don't see where the D-Line is weak at all. Further more, the NFL has been tailoring the rules year after year to cater to fans who want to see explosive passing plays.

10 years ago the key to a solid pass defense was a D-Line that can rush hard. Today, you can get away with a weaker D-Line if your secondary makes up for it.

I'm just not all the way sold on Vick yet. He was absolutely great this year, but seeing him struggle throwing the ball or tossing a good amount of picks this year wouldnt surprise me. I wont say that I'm expecting it but I'm definitely not ruling it out. I think Green Bay has a right to be ahead..they didn't have Grant or Finely as well as a few other pieces last year and still won the Superbowl...now they do. Just a thought.

These powere ranking are utterly useless. I dont look at them during the season after or before such a waste of time.

The Eagles only really have one weak spot, and thats LB'ers. Their D-Line is solid to very good across the board with Babin and Cole and eventually Brandon Graham will come back. Plus you have Jaqua Parker who is a solid pass rusher and their 3rd rounder last year Daniel Teo'Neshiem.

Then in the middle they have a very good player in Cullen Jenkins and alongside him will be Antonio Dixon who was an absolute beast of a run stuffer last year. Behind that you have Patterson and Laws who are solid back-ups. Then add in Anthony Hargrove is another good back-up and they not only have good starters, but very good depth.

As for the O-Line they aren't nearly as bad as people say and probably have the best depth in the league. Peters is definitely overrated, but hes still a solid LT. Next to him should be Herremans and hes another player whos nothing special, but he won't hurt you much in there. At center you have Jamaal Jackson, who when healthy is a top 5-10 center. Then you got their first rounder in Watkins and an underrated player from Denver in Ryan Harris. Behind them you have Mike McGlynn who is a solid player and would start on most teams. Then you have EVan Mathis who was another solid player in Cincy and Winston Justice who has played well the past couple of years, but is coming off a serious injury.

I wouldn't call neither line elite, but both should be solid. Their problem is at LB'er where they have 2 4th rounders and a 7th rounder starting from the past 2 drafts.

Back