Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Has anyone ever quit smoking?

dannydiggler

I've been smoking for 8 years. I stopped cold turkey 2 days ago and I'm ready to rip someones fucking head off. Every little things pisses me off. I can't even drink to relax because the craving gets 1000x worse. How the hell does anyone quit?

EDIT

Not sure if I've actually quit cold turkey.. I've been chewing about 3 times a day. Still though.. arrrrgh11

I quit in August cold turkey. I weaned myself off cutting back like one cigarette a day until I got down to like 3 a day and was smoking 3 for a couple Weeks or better and so on so on, took awhile but it worked. For the first little bit I still had cravings then it got to the point that I couldn't stand the smell and now I can smell that smell a mile away and don't want to be around it.

I'm not sure that can be considered cold turkey or not.

I also had a buddy who quit and he said he took the contents of a nasty ashtray and put them into a Ziploc bag and when he'd get cravings he'd open it up and take a big whiff and instantly get disgusted and not want to smoke. He said it took about two days before he really didn't want a cigarette anymore because the ashtray bag was so gross smelling.

I smoked cigarettes from age 17 to age 20. The longer I smoked the more I smoked, 1 pack led to 2 packs. and for the last 2 years, way back then, I was trying to Quit. Every day and every morning I had a smokers cough. Finally decided to quit them cold turkey which I did. Course back in the 60's there was something else to smoke, so that helped, but by age 25, I outgrew the pot. I guess it has to do with having an addictive nature. Whether it is smoking cigarettes, pot, cigars, drinking, pills, gambling, etc.
I do remember that the cigarette cravings continued for years especially first thing in the morning, after a meal, with a drink, after sex. All the cutting back, or gum, drops, candy, toothpicks, etc. never worked for me. Some friends went to see the "Russian" iirc a hypnotist. That worked for some of them, others no.
I don't think there are many people in life that can go through without one addiction. I'm down to one, still smoke, but just cigars. I am sure the day will come I will have to quit them due to my older age....you just have to decide and be head strong in your will to stop.
I have heard the acupuncture works, as does the cutting back to a few a day...what works for some doesn't work for others. The problem with cigarettes are all the ingredients/chemicals that are put in that not only are carcinogens but can also hook a person to them like a narcotic.
I wish you luck from the day you stop to the day the cravings stop.

My Dad smoked for 30 years and at age 45 quit smoking and drinking cold turney. Been that way for the last 34 years. He was a 2 1/2 pack a day smoker. Not sure how you guys do it today with it being so expensive.

I remember it like it was yesterday, July 13th 2008 was the day I decided to quit smoking cold turkey.

I was back home partying pretty hardcore for a festival that we have annually. I ended up getting so trashed on various substances that I was supposedly chain smoking one cigarette after another for hours on end. I ended up smoking a little over 3 packs of cigarettes that day/night and when I woke up the next day I literally felt like death. Told my self if I could just remember how I felt that morning I will never smoke another cigarette again!

I went for a really long time without even touching another cigarette (well over a year) out of fear of starting back up. Now, since its been so long, I will occasionally bum one or take a drag off a buddies if I am out boozing. I always enjoyed smoking, I just wanted to quit because I knew it was so terrible for me. Since that night I have probably had less than 25 cigarettes total.

So yeah, get super drunk and chain smoke till you can't smoke no more. Wake up feeling terrible and remember what made you feel that way.

ez game imo!

I quit chewing on Christmas day. Its tough, especially if I am alone or when I'm hunting. But its my secret christmas present to my wife.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]I've been smoking for 8 years. I stopped cold turkey 2 days ago and I'm ready to rip someones fucking head off. Every little things pisses me off. I can't even drink to relax because the craving gets 1000x worse. How the hell does anyone quit?

EDIT

Not sure if I've actually quit cold turkey.. I've been chewing about 3 times a day. Still though.. arrrrgh11

Thats a hard habit to kick, cause you can do it anywhere and people don't have to know. Trust me, I know.

One trick that worked for me was if I had a craving then I drank a glass of water. It flushes your system as well. I never felt healthier.

My mom has quit twice. First time she got hypnotized and I guess it worked. Then my parents got a divorce and grandma passed away and she started again.

This time she quit because of her grandson. She took some kind of pill, I always see commercials for it but forget what its called. But she hasn't smoked in about 3months I think.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
My mom has quit twice. First time she got hypnotized and I guess it worked. Then my parents got a divorce and grandma passed away and she started again.

This time she quit because of her grandson. She took some kind of pill, I always see commercials for it but forget what its called. But she hasn't smoked in about 3months I think.

Chantix(sp?)?

I knew somebody that took that. Made them sick, but it worked.

elrod said:
Congrats bro...that's great news. Keep it up...

Thanks. It's amazing how much better my schnoz works since I've quit, taste buds too.

DR said:
Maize&Cheese304 said:

Chantix(sp?)?

I knew somebody that took that. Made them sick, but it worked.

Yep. And she got a really bad cold from it, but has been fine ever since. And smoke free. Same with an aunt

a friend of mine tried to quit while his wife was pregnant (she was a smoker too).

he chewed nicotine gum to deal with the cravings.

didn't work though, they both went back to smoking after she had the kid.

I think the key may be to beat the craving, or at least wean yourself off it. chewing nicotine gum all day long probably doesn't do much in that sense.

MichChamp02 said:
a friend of mine tried to quit while his wife was pregnant (she was a smoker too).

he chewed nicotine gum to deal with the cravings.

didn't work though, they both went back to smoking after she had the kid.

I think the key may be to beat the craving, or at least wean yourself off it. chewing nicotine gum all day long probably doesn't do much in that sense.

My grandpa tried to quit a bunch of times, finally managed to quit for good using flavored toothpicks.

I didn't read the thread so I apologize if someone said this already, but I have a friend that smoked over a pack a day. He changed to those electronic cigarettes that deliver nicotine without all the other crap. It actually feels like he's smoking. He's still getting nicotine, but the smoke is more like vapor. It smells like vanilla so he smokes wherever he wants. Not sure if its true or not, but he states that the nicotine he's in taking is no worse than caffeine from a cup of coffee. If I was trying to quit smoking I would definitely go this route.

Back