Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Some of the things you like to collect

biggunsbob

I still get a great feeling even at 50 when I open a new pack of baseball cards. Plus I really like all the sports when it comes to cards but Baseball is my favorite..I have not done as much the last few years but I still buy and sell on eBay ever now and then. I have way to many white card boxes and wife is getting sick of them.

You all know I have a bunch of sports collectables. Some good, and some not so good...

We also have a nice DVD collection. I really irked my when Blue Rays came out but I started getting those too.

I do have a lot of books..All Kinds..

I have one old radio from the 1930's that looks pretty cool. My wife got me another one that i really liked a few years back for around 40 bucks but now she wants to downsize so i sold it. I like the look of some old radio's...Speaking of antiques i have a couple of old wood school desks that I like..

Two main ones. One I am embarrassed by - the other is a life long one.

1) Beanie Babies
2) Detroit and Michigan sports paraphenalia

I had an amazing beer can collection (over 1000), but hey, I got married and I think everyone can guess what happened to that.

Also when computer software needed to be bootlegged to get your legal (ha!) archival backup - I had every title there was.

kawdup is a lifelong beanie babies collector?

wow, color me surprised...

KAWDUP said:
Two main ones. One I am embarrassed by - the other is a life long one.

1) Beanie Babies
2) Detroit and Michigan sports paraphenalia

I had an amazing beer can collection (over 1000), but hey, I got married and I think everyone can guess what happened to that.

Also when computer software needed to be bootlegged to get your legal (ha!) archival backup - I had every title there was.

I have a Stevie Y. bear but that is about it.. I like the sports ones but alas my SY bear is probably a imitation rip-off for all I know...

MichChamp02 said:
kawdup is a lifelong beanie babies collector?

wow, color me surprised...

Certainly not embarrasssed by my Sports memorabilia collection. Beanie babies have only been around since I had children. Hard to be life long. But I do have all McDonald's Teenie Beanies still in plastic, and about 5-6 hundred total of the little animals.

WWII stuff.

I have tons of C, and K rations.

I have an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, a couple 1911 colt .45's with web holsters, a Lee-Enfield rifle, Mosin-Nagant rifle, Wembly pistol, 2 Lugers, a Walther P38, A C96 Mauser with shoulder stock and extender clip, Several empty Ammo cans, some dummy grenades, a gasmask, a bunch of knives and Bayonets, some maps, a field radio, couple uniforms complete with boots and a bunch of helmets from US Army, Marines, British Army, German Army, Soviet Army, and Japanese.

I should not mention this, but I have a fully automatic Thompson .45 sub machinegun also, though I never operate it. (wink wink).

MI_Thumb said:
WWII stuff.

I have an M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, a couple 1911 colt .45's with web holsters, a Lee-Enfield rifle, Mosin-Nagant rifle, Wembly pistol, 2 Lugers, a Walther P38, A C96 Mauser with shoulder stock and extender clip, Several empty Ammo cans, some dummy grenades, a gasmask, a bunch of knives and Bayonets, some maps, a field radio, couple uniforms complete with boots and a bunch of helmets from US Army, Marines, British Army, German Army, Soviet Army, and Japanese.

I should not mention this, but I have a fully automatic Thompson .45 sub machinegun also, though I never operate it. (wink wink).
im a russian history major, i really want an authentic WWII Mosin-Nagant (preferably with the bayonet and russian instruction manual too). those are hard to find though, especially considering the amount of 60s and 70s rifles that were manufactured and made their way over here.

Spockmaster said:
MI_Thumb said:
WWII stuff.

im a russian history major, i really want an authentic WWII Mosin-Nagant (preferably with the bayonet and russian instruction manual too). those are hard to find though, especially considering the amount of 60s and 70s rifles that were manufactured and made their way over here.

AFAIK mine is authentic of the time, most of these rifles that ended up in collectors hands were surplus that were still being manufactured after 1945, though I do not believe it actually saw active combat.

I have a Bayonet for it, but purchased that separately, I do not have the manual or the field cleaning kit that comes with the rifle, for some reason the cleaning kits of often missing from any collectable WWII rifles.

I collect golf and msu memorabilia...would like to get back into collecting cards but that would cut into my golf money so I dont buy them often (once or twice a year)

would like get my hands on an old leather and feather stuffed golf ball, and some hickory shafted clubs

I collected rare music and live concert VHS videos, CDs, DVDs, and posters in the 80s and 90s and early 00s....lots of bootlegs of course, since there was no internet in the 80s and people mostly were on dial up during the 90s. Most were/are very rare promotional and professionally produced that I purchased from Japan and Europe, or west coast radio stations through mail order that were put up for sale in publications like "Goldmine" and music magazines such as CMJ Monthly, Alternative Press, and huH, some now long defunct. Never really understood the appeal of "buying/owning" movies, when they could easily be rented, (or "illegally" copied to VHS, and/or stored on HDD or burned to DVD/CD) since there are very few movies that I would want to re-watch more than very rarely or even occasionally, such as the Monty Python flicks, and unless they were quite unusual, rare, and foreign, like the European movies "More" and "The Valley" (Le Valle) that had Pink Floyd musical soundtracks.

Anyway, I had the desire to start my own "brick and mortar" video rental store, but instead of renting movies, I was going to rent and sell ONLY music in all formats and genres, CD, SACD, VHS, and DVD, as well as posters, t-shirts and music-related memorabilia. Thankfully, however, I never got to the point of attempting to get a bank or SBA loan to finance my idea, b/c broadband internet took off by the turn of the century, and the music that I liked pretty much had died off by then, being replaced by divas, boy "bands" like "In-Stink" and "Reacharound Boys", as well as rap, and hip-hop, the latter two I know are still very popular, but outside of rap-infused bands like RATM, Korn, and Faith No More, just not my cup of tea.

While I was a postal employee for USPS , I often had the job of training new hires to learn how to operate mail-sorting machinery and equipment. By doing so, I was paid at a higher level/grade. There was one guy who I trained, who told me that he was fond of collecting movie DVDs, and sure enough, I ran into him a couple of times at our local Best Buy, where he was always in the process of buying a half-dozen or so of movie DVDs ((shrug)).

Well...a year or so after he was hired, a new DVD movie-rental mail-order service started showing up in the mail-stream, as most of us know, is called "Netflix". Sure wish that I would have come up with that idea, but at the time, I really didn't think that it would become as wildly successful as it eventually was. Anyway, the guy who I mentioned earlier, was eventually caught and arrested by the postal police and the USPS Dept. of the Inspector General's office, for feloniously stealing the DVDs that were being shipped by or being returned through the mail by customers of Netflix, and when they made him open the trunk of his car. there were several hundred stolen Netflix DVDs inside. Who knows how many that he had at his house as well.

The guy was taking the DVDs out of the mail-stream, then home after his shift ended, copying and burning them, then selling the "illegal" copies that he made online or in advertisements in the newspapers. Since these Netflix DVDs were mailed and returned in envelopes that did not reveal what the title of the movies were, he had to steal many of them, in order to be sure to get different ones, then he would of course, after copying them, have to put them back into the mail to be sent to the customers, or returned to Netflix. Since many Netflix customers received their ordered/rented DVDs a week or two late, or were being charged late fees for returning them very late (or not at all) eventually Netflix figured out where the "problem" really was. This dummy/thief wasn't smart enough to realize that he was taking DVDs out of one or two zip-codes, and since the postal mail-sorting machinery is assigned to just a couple of zip codes overnight for delivery, it was easy for the postal police to narrow down the "suspects" since employees were assigned to one machine every week..I know that this guy wasn't the only ex-USPS jailbird who likely has been caught for stealing Netflix DVDs in the mail as an employee.

MI_Thumb said:
WWII stuff.

That is very Cool stuff... Fantastic collection...

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]I still get a great feeling even at 50 when I open a new pack of baseball cards. Plus I really like all the sports when it comes to cards but Baseball is my favorite..I have not done as much the last few years but I still buy and sell on eBay ever now and then. I have way to many white card boxes and wife is getting sick of them.

You all know I have a bunch of sports collectables. Some good, and some not so good...

We also have a nice DVD collection. I really irked my when Blue Rays came out but I started getting those too.

I have one old radio from the 1930's that looks pretty cool. My wife got me another one that i really liked a few years back for around 40 bucks but now she wants to downsize so i sold it. I like the look of some old radio's...Speaking of antiques i have a couple of old wood school desks that I like..

I have a huge card collection from when I was a kid...haven't bought any in the last 10 years or so though. Sucks to see how bad the market for these things have dropped. on these things. Cards are so over produced now its sick.

Beez said:
[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]I still get a great feeling even at 50 when I open a new pack of baseball cards. Plus I really like all the sports when it comes to cards but Baseball is my favorite..I have not done as much the last few years but I still buy and sell on eBay ever now and then. I have way to many white card boxes and wife is getting sick of them.

I have a huge card collection from when I was a kid...haven't bought any in the last 10 years or so though. Sucks to see how bad the market for these things have dropped. on these things. Cards are so over produced now its sick.

yea I have made a couple attempts to collect again in the past 7 or 8 years and there are just so many...If I do happen to collect again I think it will be older cards, 25 years or older

staegrac said:
Beez said:

yea I have made a couple attempts to collect again in the past 7 or 8 years and there are just so many...If I do happen to collect again I think it will be older cards, 25 years or older

Yeah Older is always better.. But some of the newer products have some really cool autographs and other stuff in them.. At least some of the hobby stuff is limited... as of late it seems that graded cards are selling the best on Ebay.. But it is just a small sample size i am viewing. I guess i have things to high price...LOL...

From ever since I can remember back to '54/'55, I collected baseball cards. also football, basketball,
Most all of that was traded off/sold for better cards. As I got older, I started collecting older stuff and autographs. I had Old Judge, T-206's, T-205's with all the different Sweet Caporal/PolarBear backs. Some of the blankets that were 6"by6". Also Goudeys, Playball, and of course the old Topps and Bowmans. Back in the early 80's the other card companies went to court and beat Topps monopoly on the card industry.
My quest was to have a card or pin of all the hall of famers. Also in the '80's I got involved in the autographs by players of balls and bats and other pieces of memorabilia they would sign at card shows.
Throughout all these years, I always had a Kaline collection. Pre-internet days I had the bi-weekly sports collectors digest and other magazines that listed all the cards on players. I found many many Kaline cards and other pieces of Kaline through phone calls/and mailing letters with my wants. Most everything was sold a little over 10 years ago,
except for the Kaline collection, bats, balls, special figurines, and any thing else pertaining to him, including many many different baseball magazines, yearbooks, etc with Kaline on the cover or stories on him.
I stopped about 5 years ago due to the one of a kind special cards of players with all the card companies going nuts with a piece of glove, bat, uniform, etc. imbedded in the cards. I did try for awhile, but even that the price became prohibitive.
I will leave the Kaline collection to my nephew, he can do what he wants with it. I could never bring myself to sell it.
Maybe more than 3007 pieces if you get the significance of the number.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]From ever since I can remember back to '54/'55, I collected baseball cards. also football, basketball,
Most all of that was traded off/sold for better cards. As I got older, I started collecting older stuff and autographs. I had Old Judge, T-206's, T-205's with all the different Sweet Caporal/PolarBear backs. Some of the blankets that were 6"by6". Also Goudeys, Playball, and of course the old Topps and Bowmans. Back in the early 80's the other card companies went to court and beat Topps monopoly on the card industry.
My quest was to have a card or pin of all the hall of famers. Also in the '80's I got involved in the autographs by players of balls and bats and other pieces of memorabilia they would sign at card shows.
Throughout all these years, I always had a Kaline collection. Pre-internet days I had the bi-weekly sports collectors digest and other magazines that listed all the cards on players. I found many many Kaline cards and other pieces of Kaline through phone calls/and mailing letters with my wants. Most everything was sold a little over 10 years ago,
except for the Kaline collection, bats, balls, special figurines, and any thing else pertaining to him, including many many different baseball magazines, yearbooks, etc with Kaline on the cover or stories on him.
I stopped about 5 years ago due to the one of a kind special cards of players with all the card companies going nuts with a piece of glove, bat, uniform, etc. imbedded in the cards. I did try for awhile, but even that the price became prohibitive.
I will leave the Kaline collection to my nephew, he can do what he wants with it. I could never bring myself to sell it.
Maybe more than 3007 pieces if you get the significance of the number.

Holy crap that is a impressive collection.. I do remember sports collectors Digest. Great paper...it still was pretty good a few years back when I had a subscription from about 2004_2006ish when i moved back to Michigan.

I collect guitars and other musical instruments. It can get very expensive. I also collect CDs, music DVDs, and memorabilia. I have collected cards and Detroit sports stuff but not that impressive. My brother has some good sports stuff though.

MI_Thumb said:
Spockmaster said:

AFAIK mine is authentic of the time, most of these rifles that ended up in collectors hands were surplus that were still being manufactured after 1945, though I do not believe it actually saw active combat.

I have a Bayonet for it, but purchased that separately, I do not have the manual or the field cleaning kit that comes with the rifle, for some reason the cleaning kits of often missing from any collectable WWII rifles.
well, the 60s and 70s ones are still authentic because it was in service as a sniper rifle for a while even after the soviet army introduced the dragunov in 1963. i just want one that saw service in WWII itself, preferably one that was manufactured in the late 1930s. im a little crazy
tongue.png

as for collecting other things, ive never really been big on that aside from card games. i had pokemon cards in elementary school (i wish my charizards were worth more than $10 now ;_;), Dragonball Z card game in high school (played at the world tournament the last year gen con was in milwaukee), and now i occasionally play magic. other than that its basically just movies and video games.

MI_Thumb said:
WWII stuff.

Dude I would kill to see you're collection! You have all the guns I have lol... I have an M1 carbine, a Colt 1911 and an axis stamped Mauser rifle.

Back