Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jim Bunning: 1957

Ty,
Bunning was "My Tigers Pitcher" back in the 50's and early 60's. Frank Lary too, but Bunning was a top 3 pitcher in the AL for much of his time with the Tigers.
Kuenn and then Bunning getting traded after were upsetting this young Tigers fan.
Bunning did have as much if not a bit better success with the Phillies.

A tidbit, don't know if I posted it previously, but when Bunning pitched his No-hitter against the redsox, years later when I went to the post office, one of my close friends there was at that game! He said Kaline made a spectacular catch in the outfield off Ted Williams' bat to preserve it.

I looked up the Bunning trade after reading this and shook my head. At least with Kuenn, they got Rocko. With Bunning, they got the shaft. The trade seems like a contender for worst in Tiger history. I was also amazed to find out he was #2 on the All-Time K list when he retired.

tycobb420 said:
I looked up the Bunning trade after reading this and shook my head. At least with Kuenn, they got Rocko. With Bunning, they got the shaft. The trade seems like a contender for worst in Tiger history. I was also amazed to find out he was #2 on the All-Time K list when he retired.

Exactly. 2855 strikeouts, still a distant second to Walter Johnson. First time I used the F word in front of my dad. must have been 15/16, I was so bulls***. All he said was it will get better, and that they didn't trade Kaline. That's why I always say have said don "freakin" demeter. wtf.
We already had the best rightfielder in the AL.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
tycobb420 said:

Exactly. 2855 strikeouts, still a distant second to Walter Johnson. First time I used the F word in front of my dad. must have been 15/16, I was so bulls***. All he said was it will get better, and that they didn't trade Kaline. That's why I always say have said don "freakin" demeter. wtf.
We already had the best rightfielder in the AL.

It reminded of the first time I said that in front of my Dad, 17, getting ready for a wedding and my little sister was annoying me and I said "F U". My Dad pushed me about ten feet right into a closet. That was the last time I said that, lol.

Back