Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Borges Presser

deathroh

Lifted from mgoblog...

QBs

Happy with QBs. Things are registering much faster mentally than they were at the end of spring: you can tell they worked over the summer. "I'm kinda fired up about it. We're not arrived, it only three days and we've got a long way to go. But I'm happy with the dedicated effort they've shown."

Denard's footwork is much better. They're trying to continue getting him to step up in the pocket. "It not only allows him to see a little better, but he can threaten run better once he gets underneath the rush." Denard is on schedule to be where they want him. "Because he's so athletic and he can create... now he has to understand about creating, yet don't try to do something that simply isn't there."

QB - "it's always competitive. We don't hand it to anybody. But this kid has proven he can play." The coaches have to tap that, and Gardner is proving himself as well. QBs know more now than when they left in the spring. They clearly worked in the summer.

Denard will still be running the football, with a lot of the same plays they ran last year. The power offensive style will reduce his carries, and they want to keep him healthy. The offense last year just wasn't the same when he came out of the game.

"I'm not committing to anything" in terms of number of carries for Denard. "Less" is a clear goal, but how much is still in question. Try not to get him beaten up, but want him to make plays. Not sure where the fine line is between those two. Sometimes you need to remind Denard to get out of bounds when he's running. He won't do a lot of sliding, but there are times to avoid taking punishment. "With the ball under his arms, anything can happen," so you don't want him sliding down in front of a guy he can juke past. "You coach Denard different than you coach Ryan Lindley."

RBs

Doesn't like a rotation of RBs, but "if two guys are on an equal plane, then we may do it. I'll never say never. But it's never been my preference." They'll narrow RB race down a little bit before they worry about choosing a number 1. It's tough to tell when 5 or 6 guys are dividing reps. "They know. We've made it clear" that they're competing to be 'the guy.' It's time for them to seize the moment.

Can't tell anything about who's stepping up because nobody's been tackled yet. Need to see the freshmen, too. "The kids, from understanding our protection schemes, are much better. That part of it is improved." Won't know a go-to guy until tackling comes around. You'd like to know as soon as possible who the guy is, but they're willing to wait so they make the right choice. It could take a couple scrimmages to find out what they're capable of.

"The ability to win in the open field, break tackles, make people miss, understand our protection scheme, receiving skills are a part of it too. It's not at the top of the list, but it's part of it, a guy we feel like we gan go to that can give us some of the same things Denard gave them last year and that he's going to give us this year."

3rd down backs - "everybody's got a role. Sometimes the 3rd down back is the same guy that can play on first down. Sometimes he's not." Everybody brings something to the table, and they'll use those skills.

Freshman RBs - A bit of a disadvantage because they weren't here in the spring. Young guys can play, and not have to do every part of the position. "There may a few things he can do until he completely understands what we're doing."

Some RBs run better behind a fullback. Great backs like Barry Sanders can do it both ways, but some guys have a preference. "It's a vision position. As long as you give them an opportunity to see the cuts, they can usually make the cuts."

FB - "We got a couple young guys, and then we've got Stephen Hopkins who's kind of a hybrid. He can play in there, too. John [McColgan] is as consistent a player as we have on our offense." He's not going to make amazing plays, but he's going to be consistent, give the best effort, and be tough.

WRs

Jerald Robinson - he knows what he's doing better than in spring. Has a chance to make a contribution.

WRs: "They're the same guys that played here a year ago. Junior Hemingway can go get it, Roy can go get it, Tae Odoms can go get it. Grady, we've got some speed guys." It doesn't look like the cast is affecting Odoms's play.

Michigan was more vertical in their passing structure last year, because it fit that offense. This year they'll do more short cuts. Passing routes fit what each offense was trying to accomplish. If QBs can deliver the ball accurately, the receivers will get some YAC as well.

TE

Tight ends other than Koger: Brandon Moore has done a nice job. Still climbing, improving every day. Steve Watson is a solid payer. "Because Kog got hurt in the spring, those other guys got a lot of reps." It's too early to say if Chris Barnett is in the mix.

OL

Lewan - "moving around good." Haven't hit, so it's hard to evaluate too much. Need to see how he understands all of what they're doing offensively, because they're firing off the ball differently. "Until we get the opportunity to play some close-quarter football, we're really not gonna know where those guys are yet. But I like what I see so far."

Having Molk and Lewan back from missing some spring helps OL cohesion. Koger considered part of that unit, too. Improved from spring.

General

"The only thing I've really got a bead on so far is how much more they know." The players have worked to understand the offense. They still don't know enough, but every team in America is at that point three practices in.

Going full pads on Friday: "Physicality, toughness, 'who is that back?,' have we got closer... how much have we improved since the last time we got in full pads?" See who can perform with contact.

It's refreshing to see a first year coaching staff with positive things to say. It's a nice change up from the standard, "We have a LONG way to go..."

Jever4321 said:
It's refreshing to see a first year coaching staff with positive things to say. It's a nice change up from the standard, "We have a LONG way to go..."

Yeah, even if it's not true!

it's nice to have coaches that do their job...

like if the players "aren't there yet" well... that's why we have a coach, and if they still "aren't there yet" by September, then the coach should pay his salary back.

"With the ball under his arms, anything can happen," so you don't want him sliding down in front of a guy he can juke past. "You coach Denard different than you coach Ryan Lindley."

Imagine that!! Coaching to a kid's ABILITY and not to a SCHEME!!

Holy Cow, you mean to tell me "Shoelace" isn't going to become slow and fat in a Pro-Style offense after all?!

the other part of th equote on denard:

"The thing about Denard is because he's so athletic and he can create

MichChamp02 said:

like if the players "aren't there yet" well... that's why we have a coach, and if they still "aren't there yet" by September, then the coach should pay his salary back.

I think this is where football ignorance meets extreme hatred of a previous coach! Not to deteriorate this into yet another bashing of the previous regime, let's keep in mind what exactly the role of a coach is and what can realistically be expected of them. Not playing 255 pound Craig Roh as a DE in a 3 man front is a coaching improvement that can be done pretty quickly! But game action is going to teach Marvin Robinson a whole lot about playing safety as well.

I think it's pretty clear that remarks coming from the likes of Mike Martin and other returning starters indicates there is more "coaching" from this staff than the previous one.

More "teaching" and less "yelling" and more "coaching technique" over "scheme" has been a common thread in many of the recent Practice Updates and quotes. I think the players are doing a good job of NOT bad mouthing the RR staff, but you can tell from some of the remarks how they feel.

Yeah, the yelling thing stood out to me. Can't remember if it was Martin or RVB, but they made a point to say they don't mind yelling, but this group doesn't do it as much. More explaining. Definitely painted a before and after picture.

Funny too how some Ohio* fans were all over Rich Rod and nicked him "RMFR" because of his yelling at Boren (among others).

Turns out Luke Fickell has the mouth of a sailor apparently and the amount of profanity in Columbus at the practices is exponentially greater than under The Vest.

Apparently Luke likes his cusswords .......no word on whether it takes away from the "sense of family" yet.

I think goes along with kind of a common theme in that changes/improvements needed to be made after the end of the Carr era, but perhaps it went too far. Some referred to a "country club" atmosphere at practice before, and we could see on game days that many of the schemes and play calls lacked creativity, we saw too conservative an approach. So the change was to go to a coach known for (and I got to see a practice and see this firsthand) a much different approach. RR is a loud man whose communication methods are much different from those of Lloyd Carr. I don't think anyone would ever refer to a RR practice or meeting as a having a "country club" atmosphere. I don't think anyone would ever claim players were complacent. Maybe a coach who yelled SOME was needed, not the constant yelling the players likely got.

I'm hopeful this coaching staff is the right mix of the two. I'm hoping for more motivation and accountability from the players, a more creative and successful offensive approach, etc. Maybe we'll look back and realize that after 2007 we needed some elements of the spread, and some elements of a different defense to contain a dual option QB instead of getting shredded, but not the overhaul we wanted to see in three seasons. It's been enlightening to watch some of SDSU's games from last year, and see that on the first drive of the bowl game against Navy, Lindley was in the shotgun. Two drives later, they were in the "I." It'll be interesting to see what happens in September.

I think it is telling that just prior to Carr's final game, he invited Colts OC to come in and help implelement a quasi-spread which worked very effectively with Mike Hart, Henne & Manningham.

And prior to that, he'd brought in Alex Gibbs -- Godfather of the Stretch Zone so successful for Terrell Davis and the Broncos -- to change the blocking scheme.

I agree bamf, I hope (and believe) the Borges/Hoke approach will not be exclusive to any and all plays that might work. I like the idea of a healthier, less beaten down Shoelace come November -- that is where the scheme change will be noticed, IMO.

DR said:
Yeah, the yelling thing stood out to me. Can't remember if it was Martin or RVB, but they made a point to say they don't mind yelling, but this group doesn't do it as much. More explaining. Definitely painted a before and after picture.

I remember a few players quoted said that. It may have been both Martin & RVB. in the same article, a few of them also mentioned there is much greater attention paid to the details by the new coaching staff.

Let me just say, and I'm not trying to gloat, I am VERY happy to read these news articles/practice reports, and am not at all surprised by them.

bamf16 said:
MichChamp02 said:

I think this is where football ignorance meets extreme hatred of a previous coach! Not to deteriorate this into yet another bashing of the previous regime, let's keep in mind what exactly the role of a coach is and what can realistically be expected of them. Not playing 255 pound Craig Roh as a DE in a 3 man front is a coaching improvement that can be done pretty quickly! But game action is going to teach Marvin Robinson a whole lot about playing safety as well.

and turning Nick Sheridan into a good QB when Threet gets hurt is...well, impossible.

BUT

ITS ALL RR'S FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigvic said:
I think it's pretty clear that remarks coming from the likes of Mike Martin and other returning starters indicates there is more "coaching" from this staff than the previous one.

More "teaching" and less "yelling" and more "coaching technique" over "scheme" has been a common thread in many of the recent Practice Updates and quotes. I think the players are doing a good job of NOT bad mouthing the RR staff, but you can tell from some of the remarks how they feel.

Yes. This is a much better way of wording it. I am more than happy with what I'm hearing from both spring and summer camps. I have no need to go back in time and bring forth any other era to compare it to. Can't we just say that we're happy with what we have for now? Of course, they still haven't won a game yet.

Hungry said:
[quote author=bigvic board=wolverines thread=338 post=6878 time=1313089805]

Can't we just say that we're happy with what we have for now? ...

yes, that's what I said in reply #13.

MichChamp02 said:
Hungry said:
[quote author=bigvic board=wolverines thread=338 post=6878 time=1313089805]

Can't we just say that we're happy with what we have for now? ...

yes, that's what I said in reply #13.

Yeah I hadn't gotten that far yet. I was still reading your regular bullshit about the RR era.

Back