Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Home Gyms

elrod817

I'm in the market for a home gym any suggestions? I don't need anything elaborate and space is at a premium in my current abode. At the same time I don't want some piece of shit, cheap, gimmicky thing because I use things a tad aggressively.

Insight is appreciated....

Nah...I do use my shit at home. Rowing machine nearly everyday. Use that so much I've had to order two replacement arms and have only had it over a year. I much prefer to do my biz at home.

OK, get you a set of adjustable dumbbells. You can do wonders with just dumbbells. Also if you get an exercise ball, your dumbbells will do more. You can build off of that.

Or drop the money for a Bowflex, one of the compact ones.

The thing about it is you're home gym will never be as complete as the y and its cheaper for a membership. You get a swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, basketball court, racket ball court, a track, flat bench, incline bench,decline bench, dumbells, elliptical machines, treadmills the whole shabang.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]The thing about it is you're home gym will never be as complete as the y and its cheaper for a membership. You get a swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, basketball court, racket ball court, a track, flat bench, incline bench,decline bench, dumbells, elliptical machines, treadmills the whole shabang.

I belong to the Y.

I quit my yuppie trendie gym a couple months ago when they lost their parking lot to development, and was looking at other options; everything similar was like $80+/month, a 1 year contract, and a $200 signing fee.

The Y was $42/month, no contract, no BS commitments. SO happy I went that route.

trying to buy the same equipment I use - even only half of it - would be thousands of dollars. just not worth it.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]The thing about it is you're home gym will never be as complete as the y and its cheaper for a membership. You get a swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, basketball court, racket ball court, a track, flat bench, incline bench,decline bench, dumbells, elliptical machines, treadmills the whole shabang.

I guarantee that what I'm looking for I'll recoup the cost in less than two years of paying for my local Y, three years max, so no it's not cheaper. Not into treadmills, I use the streets and local jogging paths for free and if I want to run aimlessly in circles on a track I've got Franklin & Marshall two blocks away. Basketball courts also free at F&M and a variety of local parks. I appreciate the Y membership drive in this thread, but again I prefer to workout in the privacy of my home, hence the title.

Perhaps if I join the Village People my attitude might change...

Guess I'll just go with the Shakeweight. Hahahaha

MichChamp02 said:
[color=#551A8B said:

I belong to the Y.

I quit my yuppie trendie gym a couple months ago when they lost their parking lot to development, and was looking at other options; everything similar was like $80+/month, a 1 year contract, and a $200 signing fee.

The Y was $42/month, no contract, no BS commitments. SO happy I went that route.

trying to buy the same equipment I use - even only half of it - would be thousands of dollars. just not worth it.

I feel ya, We just signed up for a Y membership last week. I was at Anytime Fitness and loved it, I was working nights so I could hit the gym on my lunch hour. I own a weight bench and used it heavily for awhile, but it dies down.

I do pushups. I also have some resistence bands that work surprisingly well. Don't need room for that. The Bowflex is an expensive piece of shit.

And the guy who said dumbbells, right on.

Well to be serious, free weights are the best.

Bowflex, Soloflex, those home gyms with the black rubber bands as simulated weights are all shit, because they only work in 1 direction, the other direction is just them springing back to their non resistant neutral state.

I had a gym membership about 10 years ago that was $29 a month and I went 5 times a week and wish I had stayed with it more.

Problem with a home gym set (free-weights and a bench) is the motivation to actually get off your ass and do it, where if you're paying cash out of pocket for a membership you're less likely to skip days.

MI_Thumb said:
Well to be serious, free weights are the best.

Bowflex, Soloflex, those home gyms with the black rubber bands as simulated weights are all shit, because they only work in 1 direction, the other direction is just them springing back to their non resistant neutral state.

I had a gym membership about 10 years ago that was $29 a month and I went 5 times a week and wish I had stayed with it more.

Problem with a home gym set (free-weights and a bench) is the motivation to actuallly get off your ass and do it, where if you're paying cash out of pocket for a membership you're less likely to skip days.

Free weights are great and all but most don't want them around the house, laying all over. And I find more people skip the gym and because they're paying for it, kind of a waste.

Yeah, I know free weights are the best and that's what I was using before my sister and brother-in-law moved down to Florida recently. He had a very large set. Shitload of dumbbells and a bar with a lot of plates too. I don't quite have the room where I am now to mirror his set-up.

Funny thing with me is I'm the exact opposite. I'm more motivated and focused at home. I bought a gym membership once many years ago and went maybe twice. Huge waste of money for me.

Mitch...that's pretty much what I do now. Row for an hour a day and then follow it up with push-ups and crunches. Used to take the dog jogging, but now I've got a baby and I can't take 'em all with me. :)

I do see that Bowflex has those Select Tech dumbbells, that might be a nice way to get a decent range of weight choices without needing a lot of storage for plates, etc.

I'd checkout other adjustable dumbbells outside of Bowflex. They seem nicely made and look prettier :) but are very expensive. Because there are several types if you go through Amazon for example.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I'd checkout other adjustable dumbbells outside of Bowflex. They seem nicely made and look prettier :) but are very expensive. Because there are several types if you go through Amazon for example.

Those would be perfect with a bench that goes flat/incline/decline. You could get a hell of an upper body work out with just that.

Google 'WOD' and body weight exercise and thank me later

Its from the cross-fit cult.

Not for beginners.

I take these workout lists with me when traveling.

But if uyou dont want to go there.

dumbells and a pullup bar are all you need for the anaerobic.

Even the P90X stuff is minimal gear

I found my select tech dumbbells on craigslist for like a100 bucks. Those things are great especially when compared to the price of regular dumbbells and how much space you save.

Back