Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fantasy Question...

hedlylamarr

So...I've never really done the fantasy thing before, but I'm entering a league this year. I know a bunch of you play...do you use any of the fantasy sites? Which are the good ones and are they worth subscribing too?

Thanks

Yeah...check out Blazing Saddles....

The other responses had nothing to do with the question, however, just my screen name.

Most major sites have a player ranking/position ranking you can use as a templete. I wouldn't pay for anything especially if this is your first time. If you don't find what your looking for: see snatch.

This is my first year playing also, I just signed up on NFL.com. It's free and there are a ton of leagues with all kinds of different draft dates and times.

Yeah I wouldn't pay for anything espn and others give you information about who they think will be sleepers and bust. But really they mean nothing, you could ask people on here and it'd be just as good lol

Just remember your trying to maximize the amount of points your starting lineup will have. Look at the final fantasy stats from last year. Every position usually has a drop off at some point, make sure you get your players from that position before the drop off. For instance there are 7/8 top QBs. RBs there are three tiers the Top 5 (your gonna want one), the next is the 6-15 range (your gonna want at least one), rest of the RBs are backups for your team. WRs there are 6-8 top ones (gonna want one), etc. etc. etc.

Oh and Kickers are reserved for the last rounds. The difference between the 3rd best kicker and the 25th is about 3 points per week. lol. Also besides the top few defenses, the rest is a wash better off choosing a different one per week based on matchups.

Basically you go for value on a points per positional value basis. The difference on the #1 RB and #8 RB is about 120 or so points. The difference between the #1 QB and the #16 QB is also about 120 points. You generally start at least 2, most of the time 3 RBs (Leagues with Flex), you only start 1 QB. As much as people like to think that it's smart taking Brady, Vick, or Rodgers in the 1st or early 2nd, it's not. There is much better value grabbing a QB in the 7th-10th rounds and filling your starting slots up with the best running backs available as soon as possible.

As strategy, I go:

RB/WR in the first four rounds. Pick your RBs based off of O-lines and carries, not individual ability. (AP is the shit but Arian runs behind the 2nd best run blocking line in football)

Elite TE in the fifth if still available (Gates, Witten, Clark, Finley), if not then another RB/WR.

Generally around round 7 or 8 if you haven't grabbed a TE, there was always a few guys that drop because everyone else already drafted a TE, take what's left of the best of the bunch.

Franchise QBs with upside entering 2nd-4th seasons is who I target in drafts between rounds 7-10. I try to get two. Bradford in McDaniels offense is a good choice. Stafford, Freeman, Ryan are the other guys I'd target. I'm not high on Flacco, I guess he wouldn't be bad either.

Defenses towards the end. Rounds 12-15. The later the better. Saints are my choice this year.

Kicker always the last round. I pick them based off of how shitty I think that teams Red Zone offense is. Not how good their offense is because I don't want extra points, I want field goals. Teams I like. Dolphins, Jets, Raiders, Ravens. I'm forgetting a few.

Thanks for the advice....I'll keep it all in mind. Was thinking about looking into the rotoworld stuff, but at this point I'll save the cash.

hedlylamarr said:
Thanks for the advice....I'll keep it all in mind. Was thinking about looking into the rotoworld stuff, but at this point I'll save the cash.

PFF has some cool metrics to look at.

hedlylamarr said:

Just go to any site on yahoo, ESPN, NFL.com, CBS sports. All these sites give a ton of good info, and it's all free.

You should do the mocks at yahoo or wherever to see how the picks are falling this year.

I recommend doing an auction draft on espn. Its way more fun than just picking guys. It adds some tactics to it and its fun bidding on guys. And this way everybody gets a shot at any player they want.

Back