Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Working Out?

zoombabyzoom

Hey, any of you guys work out? Im halfway through the P90X workout and doing pretty good. Some results, not "cut" yet though.

You read my mind I was just about to post something about working out...I used to bodybuild in my late teens and early twenties, but now I have my own workout system (the ironmaster) and I stick to weights in the winter and fall and cardio in the spring and summer because of golf...I thought about the p90x but never looked into it. Is it for losing weight or like conditioning type workout?

You lose some weight but you really put on muscle and tone up too. Works everything.

I can't say, I dont golf. But you do a lot of Plyometrics in P90X, so that will obviously help. I guess it would have to work because it helps the whole body. However, there may be workouts that are geared towards golf conditioning out there.

I usually come up with my own stuff but I do look at different programs for ideas. What supplements do you take?

I lift 3-4 days a week and run 1-2 miles every other day.
Planet Fitness is my only option right now because of it's low price, but I do eventually want to start going to a "better" gym.

As for supplements I take a whey protein and creatine after workouts. Sometimes I take Jack3d before workouts for that extra boost.

Yea I take whey protein shakes after each workout. Just did my P90X Plyometrics workout. Hate that one, my knees are not the best. Never thought of using creatine, maybe its in my shake...

I hated going to gyms, I prefer using the membership money that I would spend, to buy my own weights, pull up bar, etc.

I just buy protein powder in bulk and creatine powder, and mix them with water using a blender bottle.

I prefer going to a gym hah. I tried working out at home. Bought some dumbbells, bench, and pull up bar. I just didn't like it. Maybe i got too distracted...

Try glutamine powder and/or ZMA for better gains and recovery...I use musclemilk, mega men multivitamin, vitamin b complex, and ZMA

as far as lifting I will go basic building exercises (bench presses, squats, deadlifts, and military presses) and keep the sets and reps fairly low. I tend to respond better to heavier weight and less sets. Throw in some movements for other muscles like forearms and rotator cuffs and some cardio (jump rope and jogging) around softball season.

I start with eating a chicken sandwich and then a Brat or two followed by sitting on the couch while drinking a smoothie. Best workout ever.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Hey, any of you guys work out? Im halfway through the P90X workout and doing pretty good. Some results, not "cut" yet though.

I was curious about this. My wife bought it for my birthday but haven't started it yet. I am luck to have a pretty sweet gym close to me. But i want to start it.

mojo said:
Sometimes I take Jack3d before workouts for that extra boost.

I've never heard of Jack3d, but I generally follow up a workout with a pop or two of Jack Old #7...

Meditatedkickaboxa said:
[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Hey, any of you guys work out? Im halfway through the P90X workout and doing pretty good. Some results, not "cut" yet though.

I was curious about this. My wife bought it for my birthday but haven't started it yet. I am luck to have a pretty sweet gym close to me. But i want to start it.

When you do start it, remember to go all out everytime.

I usually do, I used to work out for a living. And my wife is a Pilates, Yoga, and Zumba instructor.

But the time has caught up with me. Had one of my hips replaced at the ripe age of 34. I have just started getting back into it but the hard I go the more it hurts. I am about 2 years out from the surgery and it is safe to start pushing myself. I have a cousin that lives back in Big Rapids that was an ex Marine. He was up to 280 lbs at 6'6 and he dropped down to 225 on P90X.

Tried P90X but the pain wasn't the best kind of pain. I'm 30, have had one shoulder scoped, another that needs it, and I have knee issues from playing catcher and DT in my youth. I'm all for feeling the burn when working a muscle group, but when the knee swells up and looks like a grapefruit, not good.

I have an indoor trainer hooked up to my bicycle and my wife has an elliptical. I ride the bike and play NCAA football and run on the elliptical in front of the TV. My wife also has a nice collection of Swiss Balls and a BOSU, so that's where my strength training is done. I workout before work in the morning, so when I'm getting up at 4, it's a whole lot easier to go down to the game room than to get in the car. Plus, I hate the typical gym douchebags. I like being happy after a workout, not pissed off that I didn't get to an exercise or b/c some roid rage bastard took weights off my bar in between sets.

Telling me about pain. Partially tore my right Rotator Cuff, ACL in both knees, MCL and LCL in my right and have ankle problems (meaning all the ligaments are too stretched out to give me proper support).

Some of the exercises in P90X I have to skip becuase it would just be damaging. But overall I like the variety it brings. Oh and I can't do Yoga, so I am doing Cardio X portion instead. Which is what I am about to do.

Oh man, the yoga in p90x is brutal! Well the first 45 minutes are. The 2nd 45 are mostly just relaxing stretching.

I did it for a while, and did insanity for a while during the winter months when I didnt go to the crappiest little weight room a college could have. During spring-fall I mostly just run and swim, and as many of you other guys have mention, past injuries can get pretty frustrating at times...

Back