Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

My plan to rebuild the Pistons

bestisbest

Step 1. Tank, Get the #1 pick.

Step 2. Trade Stuckey and Daye along with a future protected 1st to Houston for Thabeet(Expiring) and 1st round pick.

Step 3. Trade Will Bynum for Lakers 2nd round pick.

Step 4. Draft Anthony Davis(PF, Kentucky) with the 1st pick.

Step 5. Draft John Henson(PF, North Carolina) with Houston's mid first round pick.

Step 6. Draft Tu Holloway(PG, Xavier) and Draymond Green(SF/PF, Michigan State) with our 2 second round picks.

Step 7. Sign Shannon Brown and Robin Lopez in free agency

Step 7. Amnesty Charlie V.

Roster:
PG: Knight/Holloway
SG: Gordon/Brown
SF: Jerebko/Prince/Green
PF: Davis/Henson/Maxiell
C: Monroe/Lopez

Ok I had my fun. Back to the real world now. ;)

1) Even tanking can't guarantee that. It's all luck. That said, I wouldn't mind having the worst record and a guaranteed top 4 pick.

2) Houston has no need for Stuckey (Lowry at PG, Martin at SG), and there is no point in trading Daye when he isn't actually making the deal work. Future protected first for a Houston's first is the deal, and Houston has little reason to make it unless they have a decent chance at a top 10 pick (meaning we couldn't add a lot of protections). We would have a better chance trading Stuckey for Boston's first. Boston doesn't like rebuilding, needs youth, and may be picking in the late lottery (this is especially viable if Austin Rivers stays in school).

3) Similar to Houston, not sure why LA wants Bynum when they have both Fisher and Blake signed through next year. It is especially problematic because Bynum isn't a three point threat. I'm sure we could get a 2nd out of him though.

4) Goes with 1, no guarantee there. But, with three bigs and an elite scorer at SF in the top 4, I wouldn't be worried about which one we pick.

5) I would love this pick more if you hadn't just said draft Davis (a better and younger version of Henson). Monroe isn't getting moved, so there doesn't seem much point in taking two lottery picks that play the same position. If we are picking around 7 again, and grab Kidd-Gilchrist, Lamb, or Beal, then Henson makes a ton of sense. If not, and we grab a big early, then it would make more sense to go for Ross or Jones with the next pick.

6) I like both those picks, both look like they could be solid role players.

7) Brown depends on who we draft, but I want to amnesty BG so he fits anyway. Lopez probably would have to be offered too much for Phoenix to let him go (his is a RFA), and that's not worth it for a bench player.

8) I prefer Gordon, but to each their own.

I like your plan, get younger, get players with potential, and let them all develop. I would switch things around a bit in the draft, but otherwise want the same things. I think two ideal drafts would be the UNC duo of Barnes and Henson or a big tandem of Robinson and Ross (I love big SGs that can shoot).

[color=#551A8B said:
BestIsBest[/color]]Step 1. Tank, Get the #1 pick.

Step 2. Trade Stuckey and Daye along with a future protected 1st to Houston for Thabeet(Expiring) and 1st round pick.

Step 3. Trade Will Bynum for Lakers 2nd round pick.

Step 4. Draft Anthony Davis(PF, Kentucky) with the 1st pick.

Step 5. Draft John Henson(PF, North Carolina) with Houston's mid first round pick.

Step 6. Draft Tu Holloway(PG, Xavier) and Draymond Green(SF/PF, Michigan State) with our 2 second round picks.

Step 7. Sign Shannon Brown and Robin Lopez in free agency

Step 7. Amnesty Charlie V.

Roster:
PG: Knight/Holloway
SG: Gordon/Brown
SF: Jerebko/Prince/Green
PF: Davis/Henson/Maxiell
C: Monroe/Lopez

Ok I had my fun. Back to the real world now. ;)
They need more than one new starter to be a good team

They would only have one new starter, but PGs often improve greatly after they get used to the speed of the NBA, and hopefully Monroe can continue to improve. And I don't think the pistons top players are that bad, but when you have to bring in people like Jason Max for 20+ minutes a game and are using Damien Wilkins for extended minutes, you aren't going to be winning much.

I also think that somebody like Ben Gordon would actually look a whole lot if we had a better team.

Admittedly, I cannot see a rebuild that is complete without a new SG. Stuckey can't shoot or play off the ball well, Gordon is just bad. For just year one of a rebuild, the plan makes a lot of sense, but we would still need to find a SG that can both shoot and defend later.

jmakula87 said:
I also think that somebody like Ben Gordon would actually look a whole lot if we had a better team.

Ben Gordon is trash too. He is a back up not a starting caliber player.

tomdalton22 said:
jmakula87 said:

Yes, he has looked like trash with a trash team. Certain types of players are more likely to look good when they have good players around them, and then you have other players where it isn't as big of a deal if they have good players around them because of their style of play. Now I'm not saying BG is a top 5 SG in the league, but I think he could be a fine starter when he actually has decent players around him.

The trade to Houston was just hypothetical, I'm sure we could find someone to take that deal for a mid 1st.

jmakula87 said:
tomdalton22 said:

Yes, he has looked like trash with a trash team. Certain types of players are more likely to look good when they have good players around them, and then you have other players where it isn't as big of a deal if they have good players around them because of their style of play. Now I'm not saying BG is a top 5 SG in the league, but I think he could be a fine starter when he actually has decent players around him.

I haven't seen anything out of him that makes me think he can be a starter in the NBA

tomdalton22 said:
jmakula87 said:

I haven't seen anything out of him that makes me think he can be a starter in the NBA

Watch his series vs. Boston in 09. Youll think diffrent.

Twice BG, with the Bulls, shot over 45%, averaged over 20 ppg, 3 apg, and 3rpg.

Last year there were 3 shooting guards that did those things, and those 3 would be Wade, Bryant, and Ellis. BG had a couple very good years with the Bulls.

jmakula87 said:

Last year there were 3 shooting guards that did those things, and those 3 would be Wade, Bryant, and Ellis. BG had a couple very good years with the Bulls.

I don't care about 3 rb and 3 assists and I don't care that he had a few good years with the Bulls. I care about what he does with the Pistons which isn't much.

tomdalton22 said:
jmakula87 said:

I don't care about 3 rb and 3 assists and I don't care that he had a few good years with the Bulls. I care about what he does with the Pistons which isn't much.

I was just saying that I have seen him play like a player that should be a starter in the NBA. He obviously showed some talent when he was with the Bulls, which is why I think that he is the type of player that is going to look a lot better with actual teammates around him.

That Bulls team with BG wasn't exactly great either. They lost that series against Boston and Gordon shot UNDER 40% in the series. The fact that he hit a number of shots late in games didn't make him any better while stinking it up in the first 45 minutes.

And that is essentially Gordon's M.O. He has the capability to be a very potent scorer, but is not terribly consistent. A player like Gordon would indeed be better with better teammates, but it wouldn't change who he is as a player. He is a role player. He needs to be protected on defense and have good looks created for him on offense. That doesn't mean he can't start (obviously he excelled as a starter in the past), but it does mean he's not the offense-carrying guard we thought he could be.

A great thing to note is that during those years that Gordon was scoring 20 ppg, Luol Deng was scoring 18 ppg himself. This is the same Luol Deng that is considered almost an offensive liability now that the Bulls are contenders. That should tell you something about how good the Gordon-led Bulls really were.

I wasn't saying the Bulls were great when BG was averaging 20 ppg, but they were clearly better than the Pistons are, and I think that BG was able to thrive with better players. During those years he scored 20 ppg he shot over 45%. That's a pretty solid number for a SG. The Bulls used him off of screens and such as we did with RIP and had enough other offensive weapons that he was able to get some better looks at the basket.

I'm not sure about this Deng thing. I'm not saying you haven't heard it, but I haven't ever heard about Deng being an offensive Liability. Career average of 16 ppg and 47% shooting. I know that a stat line doesn't tell the whole story, but I wouldn't ever have called him an offensive liability.

Oh, and I will say that I don't think BG will ever play up to his contract, even with a good team around him. He just isn't good enough at creating his own shot to warrant that kind of money.

Back