Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Perry out

Well the only one posting here who should have never been in is you buddy. :*)

If only the American people had half the grasp on American politics as your friend the Canuck. A large number vote based on religion (GOP) or liberal guilt (Dems) over actual policy stance on important issues.

All I meant was a joke that he is the only one who has no right being the presidential race due to his nationality. It wasn't a shot about his grasp of American politics - don't get your panties all in a bunch over a joke.

. . . and lastly, people that vote on moral issues (not just religion) are not just in the Grand Old Party. Both parties have quite a share of them. Thinking otherwise is just ignorance. Where did you get the "large number" statistic - the Huffington Post?

KAWDUP said:
All I meant was a joke that he is the only one who has no right being the presidential race due to his nationality. It wasn't a shot about his grasp of American politics - don't get your panties all in a bunch over a joke.

. . . and lastly, people that vote on moral issues (not just religion) are not just in the Grand Old Party. Both parties have quite a share of them. Thinking otherwise is just ignorance. Where did you get the "large number" statistic - the Huffington Post?

Yes

C.mon Kawdup..you really think America wanted another aww shucks, half wit Governor from Texas behind the wheel in Washington ?

Perry got in when he saw the opening that Palin wasn't getting in , he thought all the Consertives and Tea Party people would flock to him.

they did right away...then he actually had to stand on stage and speak....which was his downfall....lol

Actually, I thought it was more due to Chris Christie and Mike Huckabee not getting in than Palin, but I disagree that he "had no business" getting in.

Not having a snowball's chance for the nomination is not the same as should have never got in. When he got started, many Tea Party folks jumped on the bandwagon. It wasn't until, as you say, that he had to stand on stage and speak, that the bandwagon cratered. The governors of large populous states generally make very good candidates.

I will go this far - I would not have said it was a mistake until after the debates, because prior to them, he struck me as a pretty straight shooter. Now, we see it was a mistake, but with the proper handlers and political machine, you'd be surprised what people would excuse.

If the candidate is "your man" - you pretty much defend him until he announces that he is out.

I can tell you, I originally thought Hillary had no business being the primary, but she proved herself at least worthy of the fight, and more if you consider her current support, no?

It can happen. Far too often in fact.

. . . and just as easily you can have a Herman Caine. Hard to judge these things, but as has been pointed out, you have some decent insight - be honest, though, who did you think the final three or four were going to be prior to any debates?

I said way back in August Romney would be the nominee...

final 3 I has Romney , Noot and Paul.....Huntsman I liked but Obama took his knees out a few years back when naming him to Ambassador of China...a mistake for Huntsman to accept if he ha 2012 ambitions.

I agree that I thought Romney would definitely be in the lead going into Super Tuesday (if that is the actual day it is being held).

It has already been stated that no matter which candidate it is, it will be the independents in key states who will determine the election. Who do you think all of these "anyone but Romney" Tea Party folks are going to support if Romney gets it? It isn't going to be Obama.

So based on that, the one who has the most appeal to the independents (at least what there is of it), probably had the best chance at the nomination. That has always been Romney.

So no argument there. I did not have Newt or Paul in the final three, but actually had Caine, and Santorum. Not who I wanted, just who I thought would be left standing.

As many have said - this race doesn't really even start until we know Obama vs who in the general election.

Until then, much of this is just rhetoric. But hey, I wouldn't be here if I didn't enjoy discussing it.

Three reasons why Perry never should have been in in the first place:

1. His fake Tea Party ideals were exposed in about 30 seconds of him running for the nomination.
2. Made GW look like Plato in the public speaking realm. And...
3. Er..ah..um..oops!

Perry bein out hurts gingrich bad....them 2 teaming up to bash mittens was actually working.

the thing that surprised me was how strong the anti-Perry sentiment was among Bush allies, and Karl Rove.

you'd think Perry - a tough-talking Texan and pandering born-again christian - would be a slam dunk nominee, but they all more-or-less back Romney.

I think it's a combination of a couple things:

1. bad blood from their days in Texas

2. Romney is a well-connected Rich Kid, like Bush. Perry wasn't. Wall Street & DC connections are more important than... religion, and being Texas-yahoo-cowboy type. no surprise there.

3. as bad as Bush was on the podium, I guess he could at least remember the three things he was supposed to say. and as long as there were no hecklers or actual reporters in attendance who would go off-message, he was good. Perry can't even live up to that low standard.

the Bush pressers used to be awesome to watch...when they tried and tried to get him off message he would get flustered , then angry and finally they'd pull him outta the room.

Bush though was a likeable guy....I'd actually love to take in a baseball game with him and drink beers.

cheeno said:
Three reasons why Perry never should have been in in the first place:

1. His fake Tea Party ideals were exposed in about 30 seconds of him running for the nomination.
2. Made GW look like Plato in the public speaking realm. And...
3. Er..ah..um..oops!

. . . and I can give you a set of three reasons why Hillary should not have been there in the first place. How'd that turn out?

You don't know crap, and are stating this complete crap in hindsight like everyone else.

MichChamp02 said:
the thing that surprised me was how strong the anti-Perry sentiment was among Bush allies, and Karl Rove.

you'd think Perry - a tough-talking Texan and pandering born-again christian - would be a slam dunk nominee, but they all more-or-less back Romney.

I think it's a combination of a couple things:

1. bad blood from their days in Texas

2. Romney is a well-connected Rich Kid, like Bush. Perry wasn't. Wall Street & DC connections are more important than... religion, and being Texas-yahoo-cowboy type. no surprise there.

3. as bad as Bush was on the podium, I guess he could at least remember the three things he was supposed to say. and as long as there were no hecklers or actual reporters in attendance who would go off-message, he was good. Perry can't even live up to that low standard.

Wasn't really including you in my last post. These are closer to reality than anything else I have seen other than Perry not living up to anything. You had no knowledge of this prior to the campaign, and of course hindsight is always 20/20.

Not sure if this is a fact, but it was reported that Perry was endorsing Newt. Makes sense based on what you say.

actually I had read an article or two about how Karl Rove & his people hated Perry and his people from the days campaigning in Texas. That was before the primary campaigns kicked off, and Perry was still undecided about entering the race.

I wasn't sure whether the bad blood was legit, or whether it would really matter when things came down to it, but apparently it was.

Back