Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Draft Prospects Thread

bestisbest

This thread will be for discussion about players in the upcoming draft.

The Pistons have our own 1st and 2nd rounders. Along with the Rockets 2nd(Top 40 protected)

Chad Fords Big Board:
1: Anthony Davis-PF-Kentucky
2: Andre Drummond-C-UConn
3: Harrison Barnes-SF-North Carolina
4: Thomas Robinson-PF-Kansas
5: Perry Jones-PF-Baylor
6: Jared Sullinger-PF-Ohio State
7: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist-SF-Kentucky
8: Bradley Beal-SG-Florida
9: Jeremy Lamb-SG-UConn
10: Cody Zeller-C-Indiana
11: Meyers Leonard-C-Illinois
12: John Henson-PF-North Carolina
13: Quincy Miller-PF-Baylor
14: Terrence Jones-SF-Kentucky
15: Patric Young-C-Flordia

Man I want Davis. He is the absolute perfect guy to put next to Monroe. He has a 7-4 wingspan and is just a freak at the PF position.

This season so far: 13.8 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 4.7 block per game, and the most impressive stat a 66% field goal percentage.

Zeller will probably stay.. Perry Jones and Beal are too high and Lamb too low IMO.. Young should not be top 15 and I think Miller returns as well..

Actually they have Drummond and Davis 1 and 2.

And Drummond hasn't lived up to expectations this year, so some expect he may return for a sophomore year but that isn't for sure yet.

Yeah, I feel like Drummond hasn't lived up to expectations this year, but they were extremely high, and it would have been difficult to do.

He needs to get that Free Throw % up. I know he hasn't taken a ton of free throws but 16-46 is brutal.

Davis has been fantastic this year. Struggled a bit the other day.

Would be extremely happy with either one though haha.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]
[quote="BestIsBest":kmd3i6x8]Actually they have Drummond and Davis 1 and 2.

And Drummond hasn't lived up to expectations this year, so some expect he may return for a sophomore year but that isn't for sure yet.

http://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard[/quote:kmd3i6x8]

Ah my bad. I wasn't looking at the big board, I was just looking at their mock draft.

Anthony Davis would be perfect, but I also wouldn't mind seeing Perry Jones join Monroe and Knight as our building blocks for the future.

Sullinger will be no more than an equivilant Big Baby in the NBA

Sullinger strikes me more as the Al Jefferson type than Glen Davis. Davis actually has quite nimble feet, but has no post moves or rebounding value. Sullinger is a load in the post with good moves and countermoves, and as well is good on the boards. Even if he doesn't become a star, he'll have value as a shot creator in the post. That said, Robinson from Kansas makes more sense as a strong, athletic defender next to Monroe.

NBADraft.net has us taking Thomas Robinson with the 4th pick at this moment.

As long as we get a top 5 pick, i think we are pretty much guaranteed a stud. Whether it's davis, drummond, jones, barnes, or even sullinger. I think all of these players will pan out.

Also, I'm not quite sure about the Sullinger comparison to Jefferson. I just dont really see it. He's more like a Paul Millsap-DeJaun Blair hypbrid... if that makes sense lol.

[color=#551A8B said:
BestIsBest[/color]]Please noooo Sullinger.

I would take about 15 guys over him.

Why? lol. is it just because he's a scumbag OSU POS? ;)

he's a decent player just really undersized...

We honestly don't know if he is undersized at all. Standing reach is the primary tool for judging size, and there hasn't been an official measuring of Sullinger yet. If he has a 9 foot reach, he'll be more than big enough to play PF. Our own Greg Monroe only measured out with a 9' standing reach himself (slightly below average for a center), but he still is strong on the boards and the post, and he's probably less athletic than Sullinger.

If you hate him because he's a Buckeye, fine, I get that. But if you think there are 15 better players than him, I have to say you are mistaken. Maybe his potential is limited by his athleticism, but skill is also much less likely to bust. And honestly I think a Millsap-Blair comparison isn't far off. Granted, he is starting off with a lot better skill in the post than either of those two did. But heck, Paul Millsap probably should have been an All-Star this year, and has been on the cusp since Boozer's last injury in Utah. If I knew I was getting someone that good, I would take him top 5

i threw that millsap-blair comparison out there because bother are pretty undersized for their positions, but do certain things extremely well.

On a side note, I feel like we should revisit this discussion now. Players often become overrated or underrated based on a few good or bad games in the tournament. Ultimately, those games shouldn't hold any greater weight than the rest of the season. So, I propose anyone interested to post their updated top 10 list of prospect, specifically in regards to the Pistons. That is, if you think someone is a top 10 player overall, but that the Pistons wouldn't/shouldn't take him in the top 10, then leave him off.

I'll start:

1) Anthony Davis - should need no explanation
2) Thomas Robinson - a big man with athleticism who can actually help on the boards and defend.
3) Michael Kidd-Gilchrist - hyper athletic wing who could grow into a lockdown defender. Also a glue guy who contributes without the ball, but who has shown offensive talent as well.
4) Harrison Barnes - big time scorer/shooter with defensive potential. A more athletic Danny Granger, which is a lot more promising than it sounds given Granger's 2011/2012.
5) Jared Sullinger - consistent low-post scorer and strong rebounder. Questionable defender, but strong in the low post. Consistency a key.
6) Andre Drummond - all the tools, none of the skill or heart. He'll be shut down offensively by smart defenders. He'll have a hard time contributing without going 100% in the NBA. Too much of a question mark for me to put him in the top 5, too much raw potential to let go further.
7) Cody Zeller - unlikely to come out, but extremely talented. I see him as a PF right now, too slender to play C, but a good partner for Monroe as both can work out of the high or low post.
8) Tyler Zeller - more consistent and NBA ready than Cody, but no really elite skills. Still can partner with Monroe as the second option down low, and will provide above average production at both ends.
9) Jeremy Lamb - reminds me of a not-washed-up Rip Hamilton. At a certain point too good to pass up.
10) John Henson - super long, athletic PF. Great defender and rebounder, good complement to Monroe.

Notably left off:
Bradley Beal - I can't see any use for an undersized 2-guard. He should be a better shooter, but that's hard to project. I don't see any PG value, nor do I think he is a better prospect than Knight anyway. Stuckey is playing too well and Lamb will have more defensive value down the road.

Perry Jones - He reminds me way too much of Jeff Green. That is, he's a SG in a PF's body. He's athletic, but not a defender. He has a lot of different skills, but no one elite skill he can rely on. He should be a monster in the post, but prefers to settle for jumpers and avoid contact. I have a feeling he'll just be overmatched against NBA bigs, and just won't be good enough on the perimeter to be a SF.

Back