Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

So, was the "Occupy" Movement a success or failure

KAWDUP

I heard a number of them were calling it quits? Hadn't heard much about them lately even on ABC or CNN until this came up.

Wondered what the prevailing opinions were about them on this board?

voted = to the tea party in influence. Sure they may have no gotten the same long term effect but the bottom line is who represents you. Newt and mittens dont give 2 shits about tea baggers.....and Obama doesnt give 2 shits about the occupiers. 2 movements that clearly establish major problems with our government and at the end of the day there are no candidates that represent them. PACs and big money win elections....not people that need jobs or complain about their bills.

Just another sad truth about the corruption in our govt in where their loyalties truly lie.

For the one vote for define success first. I would have to say success should be defined as "a lasting political influence" or "a movement that will continue to grow and prosper"

Any definition is acceptable, but if it differs from the above, just state what you mean.

Also, I was trying to be funny, but rhino is actually RINO a pejorative that means Republican In Name Only. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

KAWDUP said:
For the one vote for define success first. I would have to say success should be defined as "a lasting political influence" or "a movement that will continue to grow and prosper"

Any definition is acceptable, but if it differs from the above, just state what you mean.

Also, I was trying to be funny, but rhino is actually RINO a pejorative that means Republican In Name Only. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

After the way Bush and the Republican Congress blew through money for 6 years, the party should dump the elephant and make the Rhino the official mascot.

I would say that the President giving a SOTU address that was heavily influenced by OWS is a sign of success.

johnny2x2x said:
I would say that the President giving a SOTU address that was heavily influenced by OWS is a sign of success.

You wouldn't say that it's the same old bullshit leftist rhetoric he's always spewn, Occupy Wall Street or not?

johnny2x2x said:

. . . of course it is. That is one of the reasons I posed the question. You can infer all the political rehetoric you want from the question, but just thought I would ask what people felt.

I was going to follow it up with whether anyone had any personal contact or experience with these groups of people in a town near you. I had good and bad experiences to relay.

. . . or maybe Tinsel would just like to continue the sarcasm . . .

Certainly more entertaining. Have at it. :*)

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
KAWDUP said:

After the way Bush and the Republican Congress blew through money for 6 years, the party should dump the elephant and make the Rhino the official mascot.

. . . and Obama and the Democratic Senate should just keep the ass. It already fits.

:*) Set me up for that one.

tough to say whether it's true or not, but some commentators have given #OWS credit for a couple new developments in banking regulations that prior to last fall, no democrat (or any politician) would comment on.

for example: the process of the SEC allowing investment banks to settle market fraud & insider trading investigations in secret, with no admission of wrongdoing, and then destroy the records of the investigation so they wouldn't be subject to FOIA requests is one thing that is now coming under scrutiny...

the average person I meet often has absolutely no idea how messed up things are on WS and how cozy the regulators are with the banks.

the people at #OWS got a lot of bad press for supposedly being a bunch of ignorant hippies; certainly some of the people there were. others were not. But what really irks me is that the average person isn't any more informed of what transpired in the markets from '01 to '09, yet in their minds they're convinced they are somehow superior to anyone at #OWS.

even if the avg. #OWS participant can't cite specific SEC regulations that they feel should be revised or enforced, they're at least starting to focus public awareness on it.

sort of. at least when they aren't getting the shit beat out of them and pepper sprayed by the blackshirts... er... I mean, the police.

"blackshirts" - tell us how you really feel. :*)

I actually hadn't heard about the regulations in your first post. I need to look a bit more into that. I was in the "had some effect group . . . ".

I had good experiences with folks from Atlanta and Pittsburgh. They were kind and willing to discuss the ideas and actually willing to debate specific WS topics. Maybe because these groups were pretty peaceful and not really close to the original action.

I was viewed rather suspiciously by groups in other towns which I choose not to name. I was asked to leave, but not because I was asking questions - it was when there was some bad press that had just come out, and I think they were just being protective because I hadn't been a "regular".

So, while there is good and bad in all things of this sort, I was actually wondering what if any common experiences might be out there.

Might there be other initiatives others have heard about?

Also, in my personal opinion, I did actually think the enthusiasm would wain a bit when the weather got cold. It is tough to remain strong when you can't feel your feet. :*)

I just wanna get both a Tea Party and an Occupy Wall Street membership card.

And maybe a t-shirt.

How about "Occupy my Tea Party on Wallstreet will ya?

I think the name "Occupy Wall Street" was misleading to begin with, given the depth and breadth of what they were protesting. It's also hard to conceptualize this 1% ..... Doubtful that any OWS protestor would ever be in the same breathing space with someone wealthy enough to be that top 1%.

I try to separate the reason they started from what it has become to date. It is a complete shame the media (nearly all of them) stopped really covering them when there wasn't a bunch of negative things to report.

I won't say I always agreed with them, but I know many who certainly agree with their basic ideas and it is an admirable attempt. I think they are falling a little short of some of their lofty goals, but many groups get an "A" for effort if I may say that without sounding too condescending. That is why I am interested in other possible initiatives. That is how I would judge if they are successful or not.

Others needed some of their members thrown in jail, but that is one of the reasons I asked for specific experiences. We all know what the right and left wing media outlets said about
them.

what happened to the Tea Party, BTW?

you hardly hear anything about them anymore, since the "Tea Party Express" debate on CNN a couple months ago.

MichChamp02 said:
what happened to the Tea Party, BTW?

you hardly hear anything about them anymore, since the "Tea Party Express" debate on CNN a couple months ago.

they're laying in the weeds awaiting a nominee , before they storm the convention.

Back