Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Union Address and GoP rebutle

mhughes0021

Pretty powerful and optimistic speech by the president. He did a good job of showing his accomplishments and moving forward presenting a blue print for job creation via manufacturing.

Definitely steared clear from the deficit and interestingly enough a lot of his ideas for the future include more spending...hence democrat....which most will see as ridiculously irresponsible.

He also did a good job of just being a bad ass lol....started off by reminding the nation that our troops are home from iraq and ended the speech with reminded the nation he put a cap in bin ladens face. He also hinted that if the obstructionists dont get their shit together hes gonna put the smack down on them too lol. I like that he called out the congress and how much of a shit job theyve done running this country.

now...the dark side. Good lord i dont know that i even believe in a god but if one exists thank you lord that im not a conservative republican. Listening to Mitch Daniels speak made me want to jump off a bridge.

In any major business its commonplace that the people that are successful are team players, leaders, and optimistic to change. After listening to the republican response i feel defeated, lost, and like our country should pack it all in and just drown ourselves.

....what a whiney bitch that dude is lol.

I liked that the president looked like a strong commander in chief and has his shit together on foreign affairs....definitely stronger there than in economics.

best part was his attack on outsourcing. Been waiting for him to finally get tough on that shit.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]best part was his attack on outsourcing. Been waiting for him to finally get tough on that shit.

its a no brainer....republicans will just call it getting in the way of capitolism because it doesnt allow companies to make as much money as they can eventhough its in another country lol.

That was his best SOTU speech. He highlighted the facts very well and did it in a way that was a call to work together. He stressed working together over and over, this highlights the fact that the Republicans have worked to create as much gridlock as possible and even brag about that.

The defining moment of the speech to me was when he said, "America is back... Anyone who tells you otherwise, anyone who tells you that America is in decline or that our influence has waned, doesn't know what they're talking about. " I'm so sick of people on the Right bad mouthing our country when it's obviously seen a great resurgence on the World stage, Obama hit this one out of the park.

He beat his opponents over the head with his foreign policy accomplishments and the fact that the US is universally a more respected World leader now under his leadership. Domestically he high lighted the fact that the economy is 180 degrees from when he took over. Anyone who says things are worse is living in fantasy land. A growing economy that is adding jobs is always better than a shrinking economy that is shedding 700,000 jobs a month.

The Daniels response was poorly delivered and he kind of looked like he wasn't ready for prime time. Made some good points and repeated the usual talking points. The Republicans in the crowd in Congress looked like a herd of deer caught in the headlights. It was written across their collective faces a big "Uh Oh!!!", they might have overplayed their hand terribly.

To me, the rebuttal speech is an impotent act that weakens the opposition party, no matter who delivers it. I'd scrap it, were I a political strategist.

smayschmouthfootball said:
To me, the rebuttal speech is an impotent act that weakens the opposition party, no matter who delivers it. I'd scrap it, were I a political strategist.

it could be useful to forcefully call out an particular point of disagreement, "i.e. we disagree on points XYZ, and here's why, but we continue to work with ABC to bla bla bla..."

of course, as with any rebuttal, or any speech, you have to have someone articulate deliver it.

not sure who among nationally known republicans could meet that standard. maybe chris christie? or just hire someone for the job.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
MichChamp02 said:
ok... now let's see if anything is actually done about it.

Come on, for real?

haha, I keed. I didn't even bother watching this meaningless pageantry

MichChamp02 said:
[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]

Come on, for real?

haha, I keed. I didn't even bother watching this meaningless pageantry

That's pretty un-American.

Next you'll be telling us that you don't watch the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest from Coney Island on the 4th of July.

And we all know that there are lies, damn lies and government-estimated job creation numbers.

good speech but he isn't going to get shit done this year.

Congress is not going to give him any major victories in an election year.

best he can hope for is Boehner attaches the pipeline ammendment to the payroll tax cut bill again which he is thinking about doing.

my summary of teh SOTU address without even watching it:

1. Obama picks up some buzz words from #OWS and uses them in his speech.

2. Obama continues to collect massive amounts of cash from Wall Street in exchange for delivering exactly what they want from the government, at the expense of everyone who is not wall street, and continued misery and financial instability in our economy.

see, e.g. this link:http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-has-more-cash-from-financial-sector-than-gop-hopefuls-combined-data-show/2011/10/18/gIQAX4rAyL_story.html
UNINTENTIONALLY HILARIOUS QUOTE FROM LINK: <blockquote>Obama

johnny2x2x said:
That was his best SOTU speech. He highlighted the facts very well and did it in a way that was a call to work together. He stressed working together over and over, this highlights the fact that the Republicans have worked to create as much gridlock as possible and even brag about that.

The defining moment of the speech to me was when he said, "America is back... Anyone who tells you otherwise, anyone who tells you that America is in decline or that our influence has waned, doesn't know what they're talking about. " I'm so sick of people on the Right bad mouthing our country when it's obviously seen a great resurgence on the World stage, Obama hit this one out of the park.

He beat his opponents over the head with his foreign policy accomplishments and the fact that the US is universally a more respected World leader now under his leadership. Domestically he high lighted the fact that the economy is 180 degrees from when he took over. Anyone who says things are worse is living in fantasy land. A growing economy that is adding jobs is always better than a shrinking economy that is shedding 700,000 jobs a month.

The Daniels response was poorly delivered and he kind of looked like he wasn't ready for prime time. Made some good points and repeated the usual talking points. The Republicans in the crowd in Congress looked like a herd of deer caught in the headlights. It was written across their collective faces a big "Uh Oh!!!", they might have overplayed their hand terribly.

Without saying whether any of this is right or wrong. I could have told you what you would have said before it ever happened.

"Obama hit it out of the park"

"Rebublican response was inarticulate and as usual just spewing talking points."

Really, is that your unbiased opinion? ;*)

The only thing I didn't like about the speech, besides the usual, was that some (keep in mind I said some) of the speech was aimed at dividing groups of people. I have read a great number of the ecomonic plans being put forward so you can try to BS me if you want with actual values, but I have read what he actually said. Personally, I want to know exactly where the initial lines will be drawn for whose taxes increase. Also how big must a private business be before paying the increased corporate tax rate?

Who knows if the increased taxes will help or not? I can tell you one thing, if it still remains legal to put your money in over-seas tax shelters and locating company headquarters in more tax friendly countries, it (meaning any plan) won't be anywhere near as successful as some think.

The only thing I didn't like about the speech, besides the usual, was that some (keep in mind I said some) of the speech was aimed at dividing groups of people.

Yes; very divisive rhetoric.

Dividing the less than one percent group who make more than a million dollars a year from the 99 percent plus - everybody else - group who doesn't.

Very divisive indeed.

Riight. Where did you get the idea that it was 1%? Look at the plans that are actually on the table as they pertain to the next 20-25% (maybe more) and then come back with that crap. Amazing that you would bring that crap out after I just told you I have read a lot about what is actually being proposed.

If you believe the plans in place will only affect the top 1% of wage earners, all I can do is say that I sure hope that works out for you!

Figure out exactly where a professional with a degree from Michigan stacks up in that group, ie where you stack up, and then come back and tell me that other non-progressive elitest voters in that same grouping won't feel like they have been singled out.

So yes, it could be looked at as divisive to me, ESPECIALLY if I personally will see less in my pocket (I am not part of the top 1%). Also, since the poverty stricken up to the bottom 50% of total income pay a pretty small portion already, it isn't that group that would be ticked off as part of the division.

So your percentages of who are actually divided are way off.

Think about this one:
What if your entire 401K was taken away and you are told that it will doled out to you when you retire just as it would be now except you no longer control how it is invested or used. How is a change like this (not that Obama has proposed this - but others close to him have) not affecting a bigger percentage than 1%? . . . and possibly very negatively I might add. This one has nothing to do with increased taxes.

. . . so while nowhere did I say "very divisive" (that was your interpretation), but certainly in that respect I mention it could definitely be divisive to some extent.

No way the Righties think it was divisive? Let me ask you, did you think it was divisive after you saw it or before it even aired when FOX NEWS and the entire Republican party were repeating the Talking Point of the week that it was going be divisive.

KAWDUP...post links to back up your 20-25% effected by Obama's "plans" claims. So 25% of the population makes over $200k?

Post your link to 200K and that one will be de-bunked also. If you really think that when all is said and done, that an increase in the percentage of the money that you make won't end up in the government coffers, I don't know what to tell you.

Anyway, the talking point was that Obama would engage in class warfare. I do not believe I said that, and because of that talking point, no, I actually thought he would stay away from those kinds of topics. In many ways he did, but my comment stands.

. . . and yeah of course most "righties" will think it was also, but I was offering my opinion, and trying to be somewhat more objective, but I guess I should have just said "He hit it out of the park" and then we would all be one happy family. Riiight.

Well, since my taxes have gone down since Obama took office I'd have to see his plans to raise my taxes, you said you've read them, show me them then. The $200k was Obama's original plan to let the tax cuts expire for individuals making over $200k and families making over $250k, those are well documented. Obama would still like to do this in 2013.

The only thing from his speech that you could remotely construe as having anything to do with taxing the middle class was, "if you make under $250,000 a year, like 98 per cent of American families, your taxes shouldn

Back