Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rick Knapp

bdtay71

Was on MLB Radio yesterday doing an interview with Kevin Kennedy and the other host (can't remember his name) of Power Alley. When asked about the firing he pretty much took the high road but he did say something that I thought was pretty interesting. At the time of his firing, if you remember, Tiger pitching had gotten lit up a few times in recent games. What Knapp said was that he felt like he was making progress with Porcello and that he was confident they were gonna pitch their way out of it. He said he couldn't understand why "they", meaning Leyland, were so willing to let Raburn swing his way out his slump but weren't willing to ride out the pitching slump. Not an exact quote but I got the context right and thought it was interesting that he called out Leyland and his crush on Raburn. Thought I'd share.

bdtay71 said:
Was on MLB Radio yesterday doing an interview with Kevin Kennedy and the other host (can't remember his name) of Power Alley. When asked about the firing he pretty much took the high road but he did say something that I thought was pretty interesting. At the time of his firing, if you remember, Tiger pitching had gotten lit up a few times in recent games. What Knapp said was that he felt like he was making progress with Porcello and that he was confident they were gonna pitch their way out of it. He said he couldn't understand why "they", meaning Leyland, were so willing to let Raburn swing his way out his slump but weren't willing to ride out the pitching slump. Not an exact quote but I got the context right and thought it was interesting that he called out Leyland and his crush on Raburn. Thought I'd share.
But they did let Porcello pitch through it.

But they fired knapp. Hiring or firing knapp no big deal to me but there really wasnt any reason to fire him.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]But they fired knapp. Hiring or firing knapp no big deal to me but there really want any reason to fire him.

Exactly. Nobody seems to get held accountable for the team's offensive slumps but they sure fired Knapp awfully quick.

bdtay71 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]But they fired knapp. Hiring or firing knapp no big deal to me but there really want any reason to fire him.

Exactly. Nobody seems to get held accountable for the team's offensive slumps but they sure fired Knapp awfully quick.
leyland would quit before he let lloyd get fired (which he should be based solely on Grandy's success in NY. if their hitting coach could fix his problem against lefties so easily, why couldnt lloyd?)

Spock, thats what my dad and I always bring up. It most likely isn't like Granderson just finally figured it out on his own. The Yankees hitting coach obviously was able to figure out what was wrong with CG and help him overcome it.

jmakula87 said:
Spock, thats what my dad and I always bring up. It most likely isn't like Granderson just finally figured it out on his own. The Yankees hitting coach obviously was able to figure out what was wrong with CG and help him overcome it.
i actually know its true too, i read a few articles saying that the hitting coach fixed his mechanics/swing last august and he's been on fire since then.

Spockmaster said:
jmakula87 said:
i actually know its true too, i read a few articles saying that the hitting coach fixed his mechanics/swing last august and he's been on fire since then.

Yeah, it's too bad that our hitting coach couldn't figure the problem with his mechanics. And although I am not going to complain about this year since we have a good chance of winning the division, i will say that I will not miss the coaches that Leyland has hired and kept around here.

with Granderson, it was all about where he held his hands waiting for the pitch, and Kevin Long yankees batting coach fixed it.

with Knapp, he wasn't one of Leyland's buds. jmo.

Back