Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dumb Games Dogs Like to Play

tinselwolverine

Take fetch for example.

You throw something, and the dog goes and gets it.

Then he brings it back to you.

Then you throw it again.

Then the dog goes and gets it again.

What the fuck is the point?

my dog would turn fetch into tug of war.

I'd throw his ball, chew toy, or his stuffed hedgehog, and he would trot back with it in his mouth, then pull it away when I tried to grab it from him to re-throw.

I used to have to drag him into the kitchen... his paws would slide on the linoleum floor, and only then would he let go.

Yeah, that's another stupid thing they do - do you wanna fetch, dog, or do you wanna tug of war?

Which is it?

Make up your mind!

Retrieving is bred into a dog, he does it because he's hardwired to.

I remember seeing a PBS show on dogs and a guy was talking about Border Collies, saying they are so hardwired to herd animals that if you don't have any animals, they'll herd your kids.

Same with Pitbull Terriers, they are trained to attack with little provocation, and not to let go once they bite.

The chase the stick/ball/frisbee idea does not sound so dumb in the grand scheme of things.

MI_Thumb said:

I remember seeing a PBS show on dogs and a guy was talking about Border Collies, saying they are so hardwired to herd animals that if you don't have any animals, they'll herd your kids.

Same with Pitbull Terriers, they are trained to attack with little provocation, and not to let go once they bite.

The chase the stick/ball/frisbee idea does not sound so dumb in the grand scheme of things.

yeah. a lot of canine behavior comes from the caveman days when man & dog first learned to live together.

the wikipedia article on dogs explains it well.

basically, those traits that helped man: retrieving, barking at threats, killing rodents and vermin became more prevalent through natural selection.

MI_Thumb said:

What's pointless is they don't have any sense of keeping score, or official rules or anything like that - just the same thing over and over.

Same thing when they wrestle or race at the off leash dog parks - nobody is ever declared the winner, or anything like, they just keep on doing it without any clear goal or objective in mind.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
[quote="MI_Thumb":pgndwqz3]Retrieving is bred into a dog, he does it because he's hardwired to.

What's pointless is they don't have any sense of keeping score, or official rules or anything like that - just the same thing over and over.

Same thing when they wrestle or race at the off leash dog parks - nobody is ever declared the winner, or anything like, they just keep on doing it without any clear goal or objective in mind.[/quote:pgndwqz3]

Well, I might be interested in putting up some capital if you're thinking of starting a competitive fetch league, say maybe 8 charter cities then expand from there?

I'll have my people call your people, we'll crunch some numbers.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
[quote="MI_Thumb":8mn1s1kj]Retrieving is bred into a dog, he does it because he's hardwired to.

Same thing when they wrestle or race at the off leash dog parks - nobody is ever declared the winner, or anything like, they just keep on doing it without any clear goal or objective in mind.[/quote:8mn1s1kj]

Not a terrible description of some message board arguments...

And I really hate it when the dogs try to play me.

And I really really hate when they get away with it.

Take this morning for example.

It's Saturday; I'm at the homestead in Dallas and the Sis is out to do whatever she does and she opens the door and throws the dog at me (it's already understood that this happens).

So when I get up the little fucker follows me around.

So I go on the AdultFriendFinder chatboard and I realize I'm starving.

So I start to cook myself some egg whites and turkey kielbasa.

And the dog whines like he ain't been fed already.

So I feed him.

Then I find out that that he had already got fed.

And I'm so mad that I wanna punt that little son of a fuck like he's a fuckin' football.

And can ya blame me?

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]And I really hate it when the dogs try to play me.

And I really really hate when they get away with it.

Take this morning for example.

It's Saturday; I'm at the homestead in Dallas and the Sis is out to do whatever she does and she opens the door and throws the dog at me (it's already understood that this happens).

So when I get up the little fucker follows me around.

So I go on the AdultFriendFinder chatboard and I realize I'm starving.

So I start to cook myself some egg whites and turkey kielbasa.

And the dog whines like he ain't been fed already.

So I feed him.

Then I find out that that he had already got fed.

And I'm so mad that I wanna punt that little son of a fuck like he's a fuckin' football.

And can ya blame me?

Just for the fact that you ate "turkey" Kielbasa and egg "whites", and admitted to browsing that P.O.S spam central AdultFriendFinder.

You could have shot the dog out of a cannon and I would not have found you at fault.

My big black tomcat "Lenny" will play fetch with me, when using a pipe-cleaner bent into a ring, but only when he is in the retrieving mood. Never, ever had a cat before who does that. Our other two cats, being a male tuxedo "Slyvester", and a female tortoise-shell "Tasha" will chase the ring when I toss it, but will just play footsie with it, or pick it up in their mouths for a bit, and then drop it. Lenny will actually bring it back to me and drop it at my feet.

I have a calico cat that will play fetch with the foil wrappers off klondike bars. As soon as she hears the sound of the foil being unwrapped she will jump on you and try and put her face in the ice cream. Once you knock her down she will sit and wait for you to roll it into a ball. Pretty crazy.

The point is that the dog gets exercise, and is a calmer, happier dog for it.

smayschmouthfootball said:

I honestly liked playing with my dog. it made me happy too.

MichChamp02 said:

I honestly liked playing with my dog. it made me happy too.

It makes any normal person happy.

I don't know your situation.

Maybe it's time for the next doggie.

I want to get a dog really bad, but in my current situation, it wouldn't be a good idea. I have a long commute (live in city, work in suburbs), so I have really long days. even with a dog walker that came at noon, the poor thing would be alone for 5+ hours at a time.

if/when that changes, I'll probably get one.

MichChamp02 said:
I want to get a dog really bad, but in my current situation, it wouldn't be a good idea. I have a long commute (live in city, work in suburbs), so I have really long days. even with a dog walker that came at noon, the poor thing would be alone for 5+ hours at a time.

???? Our dog can last 10+ hours alone, no problem. Most dogs should be able to.

MichChamp02 said:

???? Our dog can last 10+ hours alone, no problem. Most dogs should be able to.

I read somewhere Sting could last like 6 months, does your dog practice Tantra too?

Back