Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

INTERNETS!

Michchamp

Because of a series of unfortunate and incredibly ridiculous events, I didn't have internet at home for the last 2 1/2 weeks.

goddamn, that sucked. finally got it back today.

INTERNETS!

BTDT, but I still really don't have the internet yet.

I purchased an Android phone late last summer with the intention of tethering it to my PC, and obtain internet access after unlocking it and getting root, but alas, the cheap(er) model that I purchased (Huawei M835) and the signal from my carrier (MetroPCS) is just too weak to be able to use it for broadband-like access with my desktop PC...oh well.

Still, it is nice finally having a true "smartphone"...although I was an early adopter, having a cellphone with a full flip-open keyboard, bluetooth and internet access (Nokia 6820) albeit had a tiny 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 non-touch screen to browse with ~7 years ago, but back then, mobile internet was still in its infancy, and many sites rendered poorly, if at all. I used it mostly for checking my email, since I was actively selling on eBay back then.

By rooting the phone I was able to delete the MetroPCS bloatware and related undesireable apps that were pre-installed, and am now able to tweak its CPU to squeeze somewhat higher performance from it.

I also purchased a much faster SD card with a couple more GBs of storage, and partitioned it before copying over the files and folders that I had on the SD card that was included when I purchased the phone, and was also able to move all of the free and purchased apps that I had previously downloaded from the marketplace. Doing that freed up much more space in the phone's own internal memory, and the other two partitions that I created on the SD card means that I can download and install a modded version of the Android OS, while retaining the original, as well as adding on a smaller Linux-based distro to it, like basic stripped-down Ubuntu, a CD-sized version of Fedora or a fork of Slackware.

erg57 said:
no back up with a smartphone? Yer old school.

I have a blackberry from my work, but it's old and the browser is slow. it works for checking the news or facebook, but surfing the web blows.

I have a sanyo flip phone I bought in the summer of '08 and it still works great. I pay about $60/month for unlimited calls & texts. Don't feel a need to shell out a couple hundred bucks + extra per month just so I can post messages here from my phone.

Back